Players Of The Future?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I couldnt watch any of the game because of very liMited coverage & streaming , but Argentina u15 just won sudamercano beating Brazil in the final.

SupaMario repped this.
  2. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Axel Werner?

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Franchu, the youngster who plays for Real Madrid's youth side got a start yesterday for the CdR match. Here is what was said about his display.

FW Franchu, 6 --
    Of all the canteranos, he's the most likely to make the cut. A decent effort on 27 was followed by a deflected shot on 41 that had Pol at full stretch. Always willing to run at defenders, Franchu should earn a crack at a Liga game this season.

locoxriver repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right now, I'd put Lautaro Martínez ahead of Driussi. Driussi's not getting a ton of playing time now in Russia. From all of our players that went to Zenit, he is the only one that is not getting regular game time. Granted he's being pushed to the bench by the Kokorin and Dzyuba who play for the Russian national team but this could be a "wash" year for Driussi, which is never good for a player who is still developing.

I'm going to be interested in seeing Lautaro's progression over the next couple of seasons. I believe his potential is a bit higher than Driussi's.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro is very promising, but so is Driussi... don't forget his form before going to Russia. It wasn't even a "moment".... the guy was on a hot streak literally every weekend for over a year. Always had the speed and technique, and then he became an extremely clinical finisher.

Maybe because he debuted so early he seems older, but he's still only 21... still growing and yet to reach his plateau, yet already conquered plenty and scored in important games. Definitely isn't an ordinary player. I would argue that both him and Martinez might be bigger prospects than Correa

I do agree, though, that maybe Russia wasn't best for him. Would have liked to see him go to Serie A instead..

What do you guys think of the kid Ezequiel Barco from Independiente? Only 18 years old, yet is being linked to a $14,000,000 move to Atlanta (would be an MLS record if it goes through). He was previously linked to Benfica, although the proposal was turned down.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They're both cracks, if they continue to progress as they are/were then the future is bright for themselves and the seleccion. Maybe it's a World Cup year, and Mancini has pressure to play his Russian forwards, I don't know but perhaps in the winter transfer window he could be loaned out or something.

As for Barco's rumored move to the MLS. From a personal point of view, I don't like it. He's got a ton of talent and he's only 18 and should be thinking about continuing to progress in a league where his full potential can be fulfilled.

From a business point of a view, if his salary is 4-5 million a year(I am not sure what the number will be) then I doubt some 18 year old kid will turn that type of money down. There are many Argentines at Atlanta and I am pretty sure he's getting some feedback that the life and pay isn't too bad in the U.S.

And again, he's only 18, if he plays a few seasons in the MLS and dominates the league, then a move to Europe will always be there. He could be sold to some European club for 20+ million and this will be a feather in the cap for the MLS.

Not to mention, isn't Atlanta the team who put in 70K people in this beautiful arena and they had the highest attendance in the league?
    [​IMG]

So, if I were Barco, I'd take the money and run. I'd play a couple years in the MLS, (basically go on vacation) and then make the move to Europe. I know my potential would stagnate a little and I'd be sad not playing at home or in Europe but I'd dry those tears away.[​IMG]

locoxriver repped this.
  7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not familiar with this young player, but if he has anything close to international class potential, I disagree about MLS. It's better even to go to a team fighting off relegation in one of the major European leagues: La Liga, MLS, Serie A or Bundesliga.

Then again, a Portuguese team may snatch him and sell him at twice the cost in four years.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

At the end of the day he is only 18. I'd rather he'd go somewhere the culture is similar and the footballing pedigree is higher but again he's only 18, there will always be time for that. And I I don't think him going to some bottom feeder EPL or German side would do him any good. He'd will be miserable there.

At Atlanta, sure the culture would be different but he'd surrounded with fellow Argentines on the team and the coaching staff.

But let me make it clear, I do not want him to make the move to the MLS, he is a talented prospect that should go somewhere where he can develop properly. From a business point of view, I could see why he'd go there.

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem with MLS is that the league gets the final call on all deals. Its literally a communist league. The Paraguayan kid from Lanus, Miguel Almiron, is desperately trying to get out of Atlanta and go to Europe. Newcastle United offered 16 million for him, and the LEAGUE turned it down. The club has no say, the player has no say. Obviously, had Almiron known this, he wouldn't have gone there.

Going to MLS is never, ever a good move if you are player with European aspirations. No non-goalkeeper from MLS has ever gone on to be successful in Europe. I know some people may say Clint Dempsey, but he was at Fulham and got relegated. Much like Mexico, MLS is a league that doesn't prepare players for Europe, or national team duty, considering that almost the whole US team that couldn't even qualify from CONCACAF are MLS based. Look at how choosing to go to MLS derailed Giovanni Dos Santos career with the mexican nt.

He's only 18, he should go to Europe. 18 year old kid won't care about the life style. Won't care about the money either. Playing in Portugal or Holland or staying in Argentina is a much better option, these league groom players to be big stars, to be professionals, how to compete week in week out, MLS doesn't do that in the slightest.

Also, on Driussi- he started off on fire at Zenit. Its clear Mancini is getting told he must play the Russian players in this world cup year.

Last thing- whoever put Battalla on this list should try and keep up with football a bit more. Same with Axel Werner. Don't just make teams and base them on reputation of some hot prospects list you read in 442 magazine 2 years ago. Analyze whats actually happening.

SupaMario repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well said Gaucho. But I believe the lifestyle, i.e. culture is pretty important for a player that is coming from South America. For example, when Coco first arrived at Tottenham from Roma, he couldn’t speak anybody besides Soldado.

It’s difficult to expect a youngster who is probably not properly educated to go into a new country where the culture is vastly different and hit the ground running by learning the language and adapting themselves around their new country. Not only do you have to learn how to play a new style of football but you’ll have to learn a new language and adapt as a human being.

Sure, if they thrive on the pitch then their confidence will grow and everything else could become easier. But the opposite can also happen.

So, I believe culture is important. Unless they’re willing to take on the challenge as a person and not just merely as a footballer.

As for going to Portugal. I have my qualms for our players going to Portugal. I don’t see it as a great league. They have the backing of UEFA with the CL and they take our youngsters penny on the dollar and then flip them for a huge profit a couple years down the road. Sure, it happens in Italy and in Spain but at least they play in a much better league.

11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Too many players get the wrong advice. Treated like cash cows for shareholders, friends and family.

The kid needs some proper advice and just take a look at someone like Lanzini. Didn't rush off to Europe. Learned his craft and matured mentally and is thriving and likely to land a move to Tottenham for example for a large sum. Barco still needs to learn his game and develop.

I don't want to see another instance of a player ruining his career by becoming a bench warmer when they need to be playing and learning under pressure. The MLS for a start is simply not enough of a school and of a high level. They probably see him as an entertainment figure. We want to see him realize his potential and become a part of the seleccion plans as do several players from Independiente like Franco and Bustos.

The kid needs to spend a couple of years at Independiente at least then move to a relatively small club in La Liga like a Alaves and be the king and then who knows. Not earning a fortune and stagnating as a player. It is up to him in part. Do you want to be rich or a success as a player winning meaningful silverware ?

locoxriver repped this.
  12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Congratulations to the pibes. I hope they realize they need to keep working hard and improving themselves as people and players. With role models like Placente and Aimar they should be more than okay in that regard.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  13. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'll say this as an Atlanta resident in regards to Barco...

1. Tata is coaching and has experience and connections all over the world. Barco will sign on knowing that there is a plan in place for him to get to a higher level. Our president facilitated the signing of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid. We are well connected and Barco will be under the watchful eye of many experienced people

2. He won't be overpaid, this isn't about the money for him. Our salaries are available to the public, and no one on our team is paid above their value or above what they would get in Europe.

3. We have 9 or 10 SA's already in the team, so he will have help adjuting, including Paraguayan internatoinal Miguel Almiron and Venezuelan international Josef Martinez, as well as Argentines Franco Escobar (22), Tito Villalba (23), and Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (25). Almiron was under a 20 million dollar speculation to AC Milan just last month. He's not coming to play with scrubs.

4. He will be playing in front of 50,000 of us every week. The pressure will be on him to perform and live up to that price tag. Fans here are intelligent and while the team is new, most fans have been following soccer for a long time.

5. He will not be here long. We don't buy these guys as shiny trophies to get attention like everyone else. We have world class facilities and coaches who will be looking to elevate his game so that he can go to the next level.

areathrasher repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What does the MLS and Atlanta have to offer Barco that leagues in Europe and Argentina can’t? For a highly touted prospect he should be aiming higher than the MLS. But at the end of the day it’s his prerogative.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All valid points on the MLS, but just look at Diego Valeri: fantastic numbers and records, in fact he was just distinguished as the MLS MVP of 2017. I have no doubt that if he would have carried on this campaign in Lanus (or Europe), he would have been part of the NT at the moment. However, I haven't heard anything about him even remotely being in Sampaoli's radar, which you can clearly attribute to the fact that he's playing in the USA.

Nothing wrong with moving to MLS. Like Mario said, go on, collect your paycheck and then move along. But joining an American side isn't a step forward or even sideways, regardless of the league's undeniable increase in quality and prestige in recent years. I wouldn't say a move to Atlanta United would harm Barco per se, but it would stagnate his progression.

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maxi Romero is moving from Velez to Stuttgart for 10 million euros..

Barely 18 years old, but a very promising youngster.. Looks like the Germans have some hardworking scouts in Argentina, first clinching Ascacibar and now Maxi

SupaMario repped this.
  17. RWB1

RWB1 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Could you tell me what kind of player this is and how he is rated in Argentina. I know Argentina has a lot of very good strikers a the moment, is Romero considered just as talented? And how about his injury, I read somewhere he had a serious injury a couple of years ago, is he recovered well? Rumours are spreaded Stuttgard had withdrawn from the negotiations and he might go to PSV Eindhoven, any news about this in Argentina? Muchas gracias.

18. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    So I just witnessed Indepediente take that cup in maracana....Barcos is special. He must be on the WC squad.

19. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    locoxriver repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

17-year-old Newell's product (and youth NT player) Nicolas Castro practically set to join AS Roma

SupaMario repped this.
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    16-year-old talent Francisco Bonfiglio leaves San Lorenzo for Villarreal. He was the top scorer of one of San Lorenzo’s youth divisions and previously formed part of the U15 NT, so you can picture how badly they’re fuming with the loss of one of their promises.

The kid’s agent also represents Musacchio, who also joined Villarreal (in his case from River) under dubious circumstances.

Speaking of the yellow submarine and Argentine youngsters, recently they had also taken Nahuel Leiva, who is now playing in the Spanish youth NTs

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of player of the future... for AFA our future would still be Higuain, Banega, Biglia, Di Maria, Masche, Aguero, Rojo and Romero. At least till these guys retires as pro footballer.

23. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bustos, Tagliafico, Ascacibar, Lo Celso, Lanzini, Martinez, Dybala, Icardi, Correa are the future.

Rattlehead repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's not the case since each managers still calling up the same core of players that proof to be a failure.

Higuain will probaly start in next Copa too.