Players, Formations and Tactics

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by Daekor, Oct 26, 2013.

1. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, wow that was pretty good. Good call.

Also, we played a fantastic game away at the Cosmos, without Menjivar and Barrera. That's ********ing awesome. Although I know Barrera subbed in, but that was towards the end.

2. Daekor

Daekor Member

Dec 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio's 5-4-1 formation may keep out some goals but it's killing the offense. You just can't expect Omar Cumming to do it all up front, and with Forbes' injury issues, that means Castillo is relied on for the creative spark. Castillo is just not having the same season he did last year. With the loss of 2014 season players Zahorski, Restrepo and especially Janicki, the Scorpions have suffered.

Because of the lack of depth in several positions, this has affected the depth of other positions in the team. Forbes, who plays extremely well as second striker, has been played at left-mid where he plays well but is not his best position.

Castillo, who size and technical ability is suited for central attacking midfield role has been being used a box-to-box central midfielder which is definitely affecting his ability to contribute the way he has last season.

To my own amazement, the loss of Walter Restrepo to the Cosmos has had a greater affect on the team than even I anticipated. Last season Restrepo would bomb down the sideline with his speed allowing offensive players to move into position and he would pass or cross the ball in. Since Restrepo's passing and crossing isn't really great, it wasn't very obvious last season what an important role he played, but it shows this season when no one is making those penetrating runs on the wings.

I would like to see San Antonio move back to using a 4-4-2 diamond with a CDM and Castillo at CAM but they just don't have the players to pull it off right now.

greenroom repped this.
  3. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. It seems that SAS can either play towards defending or offense... But they cannot put both together.

4. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are very defensively oriented at this stage of the season.

5. Daekor

Daekor Member

Dec 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long shot, but Oguchi Onyewu is a free agent. He's 33 yrs old and has superior experience. He spent last season with Charlton Athletic (England) in the Championship League.

greenroom repped this.