Players and glasses

Discussion in 'Referee' started by socal lurker, Jan 7, 2020.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Does anyone prohibit players from wearing normal eyeglasses (as opposed to sports-specific glasses)? If so, at what level? (I'm curious, as my perception is that in the US it is generally accepted for prescription glasses to be worn.)

2. funref13

funref13 Member

Dec 12, 2019
    I sure hope no one prohibits that.

Sport Billy repped this.
  3. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I wear glasses, although not when I'm playing soccer--too easy for them to get damaged, and I can see well enough that I don't need them to play. My understanding is that (at least in the US) the vast majority of children's glasses are polycarbonate or similar material that is not going to shatter. And with regular eyeglass frames, the likelihood of any increased injury risk to the player or anyone else seems incredibly minute.

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Our local youth leagues require glasses be retained by a strap, that's it.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I was curious as I was on British ref site where the consensus seems to be that normal eye glasses are roughly the equivalent of brass knuckles with sharpened spikes.

dadman repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best known pro player who wore glasses while playing was Dutch International Edgar Davids. He had a type of glaucoma that was stabilized by surgery but his vision was weak and he wore glasses from 1999 to the end of his career.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Didn't Edgar wear prescription sports goggles?

That said, I allowed regular glasses in the youth games I did. In fact, I wore them in the youth games I did. Older youth often had sports goggles. Probably Mom and Dad bought them after Junior ruined a pair of his regular glasses.

dadman repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I wore regular Prescription glasses (wire rim ) with a strap for lacrosse, ice hockey, football, and soccer. The most recent was an indoor soccer rec league about 5 yrs ago.

I was once asked if the lenses were safety lenses.

9. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I wear them. Then again I wear a watch and don't wear shinguards. I am yet to work for a league that bans them. In the games I center (U12 and below) I let them play.

10. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I always wore glasses when I played (3rd grade through 9th grade). I experimented with a strap for a bit but it seemed to cause more damage to my face because the glasses weren't free to fall away. When I took my vision test in the 3rd grade that caused me to get the glasses, the only letter I could read was the big 'E' that takes up the whole screen, so I would have been at a disadvantage without them and it would have been more dangerous because I couldn't accurately judge the ball position, and I played keeper.

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told by an assessor to let players wear glasses. However, they are not to wear sunglasses unless they have the glass that darkens in sunlight.

Dayton Ref repped this.