Player transfers - In and out

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by Guerrero9, Dec 14, 2008.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't whoever is brought in as the new manager have some say as to who is being released?

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    They were released early so they will have a better chance to sign for a club. These players deserve to be treated properly.

3. Is it true that Aston Villa is close to signing Feyenoord power house on the mid field Karim?

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yup. He is pretty much already a Villan

5. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey guys, Blade in peace here. I see you signed up our right back Matt Lowton for an undisclosed fee (£3m I'm told although I imagine some of it conditional). How do you feel about it? Is it a position you wanted an improvement on?

It's a big step up for a (just turned) 23 year old without a great deal of experience but I think it might work out for you. I always liked the way he moves forward but with a sense of responsibility, grabbing the odd goal too. If memory serves me right he has a couple of sendings off to his name already, but these were more a case of bad timing/judgement in the tackle than an indication of his character.

From what I always heard from Villains about Alan Hutton, it might save you some grey hairs anyway.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Wow sorry I rarely visit these boards cause no one normally posts.

I am pretty happy with Lowton. I think he has a lot of talent but right now he is not ready to be consistently starting for us. He can play RB and CB which can come in handy in a long EPL season. I think he will be used as Lichaj's back up this season and will probably see sub minutes and an occasional start.

As for Hutton, he is awful and will be leaving. McLeish was clueless on and off the pitch. Hutton was a terrible fullback but he still started every game for us. Lichaj came in and easily out shined Hutton.

7. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I noticed some positive posts elsewhere about Lichaj so he won't be a default starter but will have to be eased in with regards to playing time and picking up experience at a higher level. I would be surprised to see him start as a centre back in the prem but then I've been proved wrong about these things before. Same origins as Jagielka and Kyles Walker and Naughton so fingers crossed he follows suit and develops into a class act for you. And I just hope we can hold onto the next one!

Re: McLeish - his appointment last summer will surely go down as one of football's eternally unsolvable mysteries for me.

8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As no one seems to post much here these days, I'll post that AV has acquired Simon Dawkins from Tottenham. He spent the past couple of years with the San Jose Earthquakes. Best of luck to him back in England!

9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Since you're a San Jose fan, can you tell me anything about him? He really hasn't gotten much publicity in MLS so do you think he is good enough for the EPL?

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2012 he had 8 goals and 1 assist, helping the Earthquakes finish at the top of the regular season. He didnt get much exposure because he was overshadowed by several guys on the team, namely Wondolowski who tied the league scoring record, and Gordon and Lenhart who each scored in double digits, and other performers(last year was a ridiculous year for the Quakes). He was an unsung hero in that regard. Also of note, he missed a good chunk of the season so his numbers could have been greater. 2011 was okay but he was injured for most of it.

He's an attacking player, best as a withdrawn forward or attacking mid, but the Quakes had him at LM. He likes to pinch in and take quick shots, sometimes from distance. Likes to play on the ground. I think he's only improving, and surrounded by better players I'm sure he'll be even better. Sad situation that AV is in now, but good opportunity for him, assuming he cracks the first team..

There was a highlight video I saw on YouTube a while back, I'll try to find it and post it for you.

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found it:

These are older stuff though, I'll try to find some more recent stuff.

12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple more goodies:

Best wishes to Simon, I hope he can help save AV from relegation! :(

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usnroach repped this.
  14. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Benteke has handed in his transfer request. What took him so long? He waits until training has already started? Hopefully Lambert gets some of the 20 mil or whatever the fee to spend on a replacement. I suspect he knew this was coming and has a strategy already mapped out. I'd take Lukaku even up if Mourinho wants Benteke.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I can't believe it. I really thought he would have stayed another season. It's so risky changing clubs before a world cup. Plus why would he wait till now to say he wants to leave?

16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, that sucks about Benteke.. :oops:

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I have a friend who got a Benteke jersey just a couple of weeks before the season ended for his birthday. He barely got to wear that thing. He doesn't want to wear the jersey of someone who betrayed villa.

18. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Benteke may have screwed himself. I think Lambert and Lerner are prepared to give him the Bent treatment if they don't get an acceptable bid. This is the third club he has done this with so I don't think things could be worked out at Villa.

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Lambert would wanna patch things up with Benteke and try to get him to have another great season. Gareth Barry handed in a transfer request the season before he left because Liverpool were pursuing him, but Martin O'Neill said no and Barry had a great season.

20. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Lambert isn't O'Neill by any stretch of the imagination.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Very true but Lambert really doesn't want to sell Benteke. He already has his full squad barring maybe one more signing. Lambert never intended to sell Benteke this season so I can see Lambert refusing to sell unless it is for a high price.

22. Footy Magoo

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Sounds like we agree on some level. ;)

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Spurs are trying to give Villa money plus some of their cast offs. Luckily Lambert is not McLeish and doesn't want another teams trash.