Player Spotting [10]

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Mar 8, 2016.

1. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not against the man bun but that is a bit in the middle of his head!

appleCORR

Jaxinho repped this.
  2. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jamie Vardy has been wearing SFs in training. Wonder if it's a permanent switch?

appleCORR

3. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks better on him! I mean just appearance-wise. The SFs look sleeker than the Phantoms.

4. TGB1997

TGB1997 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 20, 2017
    I saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan wearing the Adidas Ace 17+ Pure Controls in the Ocean Storm pack colourway against West Ham yesterday instead of his normal Nike Mercurial Superfly VI's

5. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Messi's Nemeziz have a tradiation all tounge and collar...
    [​IMG]

appleCORR7 repped this.
  6. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    HA was about to post that the design of nemeziz is to help adidas better hide the fact that Messi prefers his 16.1s than the Nemeziz.

Looks like the 16.1s were really a boot that was designed closely with him.

http://www.enjoyz.com/news/boots/2017/0815/16292.html

[​IMG]

7. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Same as going from a 911 to a Corolla.

8. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Adidas is doing so terrible with their athletes. At this point I think the best move they can do is re-release the 11Pro 2 in a Toni Kroos-style signature model :ROFLMAO:

jayc23 repped this.
  9. Shrapnac

Shrapnac Member

Feb 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sorry, I didn't notice the man bun because I was counting all of the muscles he has in his quad that I apparently don't have.

lattanzio and Jaxinho repped this.
  10. Shrapnac

Shrapnac Member

Feb 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    derbyyank13 repped this.
  11. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
  12. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antidote finally out of his Copa Mundial black outs and into the Puma One.
    [​IMG]

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    anyone know how adidas outfits their college teams with cleats? watching iu play last night, there were some guys wearing ace15s and x15s. one guy was in f50s. there may have been some 11pros too. there were a couple guys in new aces and Xs, but a lot weren't in current boots. you'd think these guys would get this season's releases. maybe they just prefer the old boots?

14. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    A lot of colleges get access to last seasons cleats. Some schools "stock up" on cleats and hold onto them for several years. Even at some D1 schools they don't get the newest stuff.

At my old job we would have schools order boots only once every other year so some people would get stuck with really old boots sometimes.

stphnsn repped this.
  15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    thanks, derby. i assume iu is one of adidas' top tier college programs so that really surprises me. i suppose that just goes to show how irrelevant college soccer is in the grand scheme of things.

16. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    No problem!
    I mean yeah. Like I said it varies but you are right college soccer only matters really in a few countries.

Japan is one of them though. Interestingly, a lot of college players here seem to have the newest boots.

17. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They also have a stock room at major schools like IU and UMD (assuming you watched that game) full of boots going back several seasons if they were not used if they get a direct supply vs. ordering from a local retailer. A lot of the older boots are "better" than new stuff that has been updated for the sake of change...as we know.

If I had access to a boot room that had the leather F50 in the model the IU player was wearing (I saw red/blue synthetic F50 3 "Spiderman") vs. the plastic X17 models I would go for the F50 over and over again. A lot of UMD players wear older Hydrastrikes, CFs, and untol recently Blurs...a few people have been wearing some blackouts that are not anyting in the current line, looks like leather forefoot. No one is wearing the zipper or the takedowns of it...havent watched UMBC yet, might be a few there.

Trying to get a friend of mine that coahces for an MLS team to hook me up w/some leather ACE 17.1 in either of the last two pack colors. All the colleges around here, including the one where I coach are UA so there is no access there, if they are even making the leather options avaviable to some accounts outside the pro ranks.

derbyyank13 and stphnsn repped this.
  18. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    thanks for that insight, doc. i assumed the players at big schools got to try on the different silos and pick what they wanted to wear for the season. i never thought about a stock room with older models sitting there. that makes sense.

19. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #219 Dr. Boots, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Yeah, I mean each school is different depending on thier status w/the supplier...UMD has a unique relationship w/UA b/c they are the founder's alumni and they're really good so they test everything and also get special make ups (SMU) a lot of the time.

Other big schools mostly just get access to what we can't get from outsoles and uppers, now that leather is being held from us at adidas for example, and also back stock.

Mid-range schools generally buy from a retalier as a middle man, w/a large discount...players usually get to pick a few pairs (two to four in my experience) from what is currently available and that is that.

Some schools will get a discount for their brand of supplier and either buy the players boots, or let them wear their own. The player will pay for their own boots in the latter situation if they wear Nike at an adidas school for example

As for MLS, not sure how it is now, but once upon a time I tried out for the Crew and they had an industrial office type building at their training complex full of adidas boots and gear that contracted players could just take. My buddy that played there years after I failed to make the cut told me it was still that way around 2011. When I was there the room was full of Mania and Percision model Preds, Nova Mundial, and Copa Mundial models...I got to buy some at a discount as a pat on the back for not being up to par.

20. chris green

chris green Member

Newcastle United
    Aug 13, 2014
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aaron Ramsey back to adidas it seems

[​IMG]

21. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    sigh, i really hope NB gets back to making a decent boot again. Loved the 1st Visaro and its cushioning but Visaro 2's were just too poor.

strangely enough both Nike and NB delivered crappy successors to their very similar mesh-styled upper boots

Jaxinho repped this.
  22. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    My 49ers are off to a bad start this NFL season and their highest scorer is their Kicker
    Noticed that he is wearing Nike Hypervenom Phinish Neymar X Jordan
    I used to notice that most kickers wore either Tiempo Legend or Vapors but now I see few different silos here and there

upload_2017-10-9_18-40-19.png

serginhobertholi repped this.
  23. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    mine too!

newone88 repped this.
  24. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Very interesting find from the Mexican Liga MX. Not a first but definitely noteworthy. Haha! 90E5D2C2-5938-42BC-9273-61DB7751F3CF.jpeg

newone88 and derbyyank13 repped this.
  25. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Wow! That's pretty shocking!!

Jaxinho repped this.