Player profile - Gunnar Nordahl

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Bauser, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    First of all, Larsson being voted the best player of All-time was taken lightly by every Swedish football experts and every person who know anything about football. Larsson is a great player but he only won the award because that's the player who people recognized, end of basically.

Secondly, thanks to Spartak for pointing out something I guess Ceres didn't know about. There are people working within Milan as of today that consider Nordahl to be the best player the club ever had so to call Nordahl "A great Scandinavian player of the 40's and 50's" is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think Nordahl is in a class of his own compared to any Swedish, Danish or Norweigan player.

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Gunnar Nordahl was the first ever foreign based professional footballer from Sweden and at that point in time ther were no professionals in Denmark, Norway or most other European countries, so ther were little professional competition going on in Europe at that point in time. So being a big Star in Italy among very few professional of his time, does not change my opinion one bit.

No doubt Nordahl was in a class of his own compared to any Swedish, Danish or Norweigan player of the 40's and 50's, but I really dont think it makes any sense at all to compare any of the very few full-time professionals of the 30's, 40's or 50's with the top players from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or 00's.. I guess it is for the same reason Franz Beckenbauer didnt mention any players from the the 40's or 50's when he said that the 60's belongs to Pele, the 70's to Johan Cruyff, the 80's to Diego Maradona, the 90's to Michael Laudrup... and Nordahl is most surely not in a class of his own compared to any of the players mentioned by Beckenbauer.