Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Donovan has a proven track record with the US national team in over 150 games and took a few months off. Boateng has not even played ten games for Ghana and took a couple of years off. If Ghana feels they can't live without him it is of course their choice but I personally don't think they need to lower themselves to that level of desperation. Ghana has plenty of quality players who are proud to wear the shirt - at all times.

2. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

you cant be serious with this

[]__[]

3. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    The charitable interpretation would be that they speak castellano rather than español venezolano.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    He even changed his name :)

[​IMG]

5. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    Veloz is a spectacular name for a soccer player.

6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Height doesn`t make players to be good or bad.
    Some of the best talented players in the world have been short in height.
    There are lots of players in less than 1,69 (Messi's actual height), including among others, Garrincha, Raymond Kopa, Romario, Nobby Stiles, Paul Scholes, Gianfranco Zola, Vava, and probably the best of all, Diego Armando Maradona, whom was only 1,66.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    no doubt about that, plus a lot easier to pronounce than Barmettler, at least in Spain ;)

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Veloz, is his mother's last name.

9. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    I have to say, if I were a pro athlete and my maternal last name was Veloz, I'd do the same.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    In Rugby there you used to be a 3 year stand down period requirement

so a player could play for Fiji...wait 3 years and then be eligible for another country

however that no longer exists and it is essentially you play for a country that's it (which is essentially killing Pacific Nations)

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yep, and he did indeed change it on the jersey because no one could pronounce Barmettler.

12. crazydude

crazydude New Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    Rugby union doesn't even need you to have citizenship to play for a country. You only need to meet a certain residency requirement.

13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    this is also true...

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And in only his second match as a substitute for Bosnia, Izet Hajrovic scores the crucial winner over Slovakia that keeps them on top of qualifying Group G:

15. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Seferovic is enough, Hajrovic also would be suicide. I'm glad that he scored the goal and not Dzeko or Ibisevic.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #116 Nico Limmat, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Not sure what you mean, but both came through the Swiss youth system. Interesting to see Dzeko celebrating so vividly with Hajrovic, after verbally attacking him initially when he declared he will play for Switzerland.
    I take it it's the same in cricket. I certainly can't explain the UAE national team otherwise. I do like the idea of a two-year stand down period (for citizens.) Under such a rule I would even allow players to switch after "A" qualifiers but not "A" events.

17. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I'll try to explain. First of all, I'm actually tired of the ''new generation''. We've a lot of potential, talented and good football players for the future but unfortunately players like Seferovic which came through the Swiss youth system decided to play for Switzerland. Well, it'll be the same if I decided to play for Denmark instead of Bosnia & Herzegovina. Nonetheless, I'm one of those who's really nationalist and I'm disappointed of players like Seferovic. Another example is Halilovic, another potential, talented and good football player for the future. I've a feeling about this is more than just playing for your ''country''. I don't believe Halilovic when he's saying in a interview ''No one love Bosnia & Herzegovina like me''. I don't believe Seferovic when he's saying that we didn't called him and that's why he decided to play for Switzerland. I've so many examples and what I actually said in my last post was that I'm really glad to see Hajrovic in our jersey. To be honest, I'd be really sad and disappointed to see Hajrovic with Seferovic, another way to say this is - I'd be disappointed to see another traitor.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    National allegiance aside, don't you think a player should play for the association who incurred the developmental expenses in a youth national team setup? The Swiss FA spends quite a bit on its teams every year. Winning the U-17 World Cup or finishing second in the U-21 European Championship doesn't just happen.

I have no problem with dual-citizens choosing one team over another. I don't care about Roberto di Matteo, Oliver Neuville or Mladen Petric. I also don't care when a player switches after the inital association no longer has any use for him. Barmettler for example.

In Hajrovic's case we had use for him so this switch to Bosnia just doesn't sit right with me.

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well look at it the other way around (if it helps your feelings on the issue).

Think how we in Chile feel for losing such a superb and splendid player as Ricardo Rodriguez in precisely the position, where we are most weak on, at the defense, only because our stubborn coach of the time, didn`t want to even make a phone call. In inteviews done to his brother (Francisco), whom will probably follow the same steps of his elder brother, he said that they (as family) were waiting to get the call from our FA, and since nothing happened, his brother finally decided to play for the Swiss NT.

We lost a big gem, with his loss for us, and your gain.
    :(

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How can it be a "loss" if you never had him? Rodriguez (born in Zurich) went through all the stages of the Swiss FA. From U-17 to senior national team. He is a U-17 world champion with Switzerland.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #121 Rickdog, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    His mother is 100 % chilean, and still is. It was her womb, the one that gave him birth, so he was chilean from the moment of his conception, 9 months before he acquired the swiss nationality at the moment of birth. So he is first chilean, then swiss.

Unless you can prove that he and both of his brothers were adopted.
    :p

Now if you want to say that he is "somehow" a product of the Swiss system, then that is another issue and you may be "somehow" right, because if it wasn't due to his parents support (whom weren't swiss), from the begining, he wouldn't be the star player he now is, and for the case, he would simply be another simple chilean who lives in a foreign country. Lots of chileans live in Switzerland nowdays

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And his father is Spanish. How does that fit into his "Chileaness"? I really don't want to go down the road of discussing genetics because they are hardly representative of someone's identity. The world is just not that simple and I have met plenty of second generation immigrants who are completely out of touch with their heritage. I have a friend with an Egyptian father, as Swiss mother and an Indian wife. Together they have a child growing up in the UAE. Where do you place that one?

The bottom line is you never had him in "football" terms and that's all I care about in this discussion.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For his relationship towards his father being spanish, I'll accept their word that he is, his father. We could practice DNA exams in order to verify it, :p, but no one can put in question that he was born out of the womb of his mother. Nevertheless, between Chile and Spain there is an agreement where both nations recognizes each other in terms of accepting that one of our citizens, could hold both nationalities at the same time, (diferent than the dual nationality). So for this issue, there is no problem of his father being spanish, and therefore they retain their chilean nationality or could even have them both.

About your friend, francly I don`t have a clue, about how his nations of origin deals with the issue, so I will not say much on it.

The bottom line in "football" terms, is that FIFA recognizes the rightful right to any NT, to call any player bonded to the country of the NT, if there exists a direct parenteral relationship, such as the one Ricardo has with his mother towards her nationality. In other words, with a simple call to him, and if the player is not already cap tied, and also wishes it, he could have played for the team that he prefered to play filling out all the required paperwork, through FIFA, in order to switch NT's. No wrong doing in it.
    Before being a football player, he was a citizen, and as a citizen he is entitled of the nationality that he holds. Therefore, he was a swiss-chilean-spanish citizen, so he could have chosen any of the 3, to play for whomever he wished for.
    He chose Switzerland, and as he has already played official matches, he now is cap tied.
    We lost him, Spain lost him and Switzerland won him, and this is in "football" terms. In "social" terms, he can still hold the swiss-chilean dual citizenship, if Switzerland has recognized recognizes him/or his family to its citizenship, an issue I'm not quite aware of.
    ;)

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm sorry but Rickdog: who you are is first and foremost decided by the individual. If someone believes himself to be American, not Serbian, despite only living 5 years in America and 30 in Serbia, then he is American first and foremost.

Naturally the situation isn't as simple in football, as a lot of players will opt for the team they have a better chance of winning stuff with, not necessarily chosing with their heart. (Or conversely with the team that wants them)

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #125 Nico Limmat, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    I don't dispute his right to choose among the three. That was never the point. A player needs to take personal responsibility and should attempt to make the "right" choice initially, so that no switch is required later on - after an association's time and money have been wasted. For every player that switches another promising player could have taken his place in the national youth programme. And if a switch does come into play later on there should be some repercussions. I am now convinced that a two-year stand down period is the way to go. Sound harsh? Perhaps, but the very concept of a national team is emotional and irrational. You can't compare it to regular employment.

FIFA's old rules were too strict (no switch whatsoever) but the current ones are too soft.

Has Chile lost any player in a switch recently? Perhaps you would change your tune if your players were constantly circled by other associations looking for easy ways to improve their national team.