Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the rules above, you have to look at the dates (and I'm not sure if there wasn't some grandfathering done).
    Holden started playing for US youth teams in 2004, when he was about 19, so under the rules in place at the time, no problem. Agudelo started playing in 2008, Opara in 2009, Gale in 2008 and Marosevic in 2008. Without knowing more on the specific dates AND the specific rules in place for exceptions, they were all pretty close to the switchover.

But of course, there have been other mistakes by USSF that weren't challenged... Bunbury & Potts, for example, so there is the possibility they weren't 100% legit.

2. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albania has looked much better in recent years. You Swiss must be doing something right.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well you are certainly correct in that the US might have done all this and just not been challenged. It is also interesting that in the 2009 team there were three such cases but since then it's been O'Neil and Zelalem.

I suppose that soon enough we will find out.

4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Kosovo Football Association, Fadil Vokri, told media that UEFA President Michel Platini "promised him Kosovo will become a full member of FIFA early next year, and will be added to the (qualifying) group with Croatia, Turkey, Iceland, Ukraine, and Finland."

I don't see them participating in qualifiers but they could become FIFA members, if that happens Switzerland could be in trouble. I'm not 100% sure but I think even capped players maybe be allowed to switch over, all Swiss youth teams are full of Kosovar Albanians too.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If Kosovo does get the green light I'm not expecting a major exodus. Instead I see a similar scenario to Albania, where we (mostly) lose the players that aren't quite good enough for our senior team.

6. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I think Shaqiri and Xhaka have expressed interested in playing for Kosovo

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I'm a proponent of Kosovo gaining full UEFA and FIFA membership ... unsure though if Serbia's little friend, Russia, is eager to let Kosovo join in time for Russia2018 Qualifying ... already seems hard enough for Gibraltar who are full UEFA members and taking part in EURO Qs for the first time.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Friendly interviews with the Kosovo media don't mean much. Of course they are not going to close the door entirely. By the time Kosovo gets the green light (and I expect it to take some more time) they could no longer be in the Swiss national team picture and then a switch would make sense. I'm not worried.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, apparently you lot are once again sniffing around Francisco Rodriguez who now joined brother Ricardo in Wolfsburg. :D

11. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    An article here from the New Zealand Herald relating to their Olympics qualification disqualification (Declan Wynne eligibility).
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/football-soccer/news/article.cfm?c_id=86&objectid=11501453

rooboy91 and BostonRed repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #412 Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    With Iceland's fantastic qualification to Euro 2016 the Aron Johannsson switch is now a faint memory. What appeared to be a significant loss in a limited player pool for a 330,000 nation proved to be a non-factor.

Truth be told I don't think he would start for this Iceland side today.

13. Juniorcbr

Juniorcbr Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Can anyone explain the situation with Gregory Sertic being denied to play for Croatia?

From everything I read, his situation is identical to Ludovic Obraniak (grandparent from Poland for Ludo/Croatia for Sertic), both played for French U-21 sides, both did not have foreign passports prior to applying for their new country, both received official Polish/Croatian passports, and FIFA accepted one and rejected the other. Anyone can shed a light on this for me?

14. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The eligibility criteria were changed in June 2009.
    Obraniak made the switch prior to the change (only by a few days). So because Sertic was not a Croatian Citizen when he first played for France u-21, he is not eligible to switch afterwards.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Rugby World Cup underway right now and Japan upsetting South Africa with the use of NZ, Fiji and Australian-born players, the sport is looking closely at their eligibility rules which aren't as complex as FIFA's, but require only 3 years of residency for a nationality switch (but not allowing anything like the "one-time switch").

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/07/rugby-union-world-eligibility-idUKL1N0XX0BL20150507

The most contentious rule, however, is the one concerning residency, which allows players to represent countries where they have lived for just three years.

The only proviso is that they cannot switch nationalities if they have already played at senior international level.

16. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They have some very complex rules for the Olympic rugby sevens because the IOC require citizenship to represent a national team.

17. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    As far as I was able to investigate, Sertic only for France U21 in a friendly against Poland U21 in 2009 and also in the (unofficial) Toulon Tournament of that year. So no official match or competition.

This means that even a friendly match for a national team (Full, U23, u21, U20, U17) for a player without another nationality at the moment of that match forbids him of switching allegiances.

Meaning also that Christian Gimenez argument for being able to play for Mexico NT after featuring for Argentina U20 in 2001 South American Youth Championship (that it was friendlies matches since they were hosting the 2001 U20 WC) does not hold.

18. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Correction: Where it reads "Sertic only", it should read "Sertic played only".

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One very important question that has to be addressed... was his grandparent actually born in the territory that is now Croatia? Because of very fluid borders in that area, it is possible that the grandparent was born a Croatian but in what is now part of another country/FA.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Juniorcbr

Juniorcbr Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    From what I have read everywhere, the answer is a clear yes. His grandfather was from just outside Zagreb, which is indeed in present day Croatia (former Yugoslavia).

22. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    The only elegibility criteria changed in June 2009 was that a player could switch allegiances even if he was past his 21st birthday. Before that change, the player has to made up his/her mind before turning 21. Check the media release (toward the end) by FIFA.

Ludo only played a friendly against Spain U21 in August 17th, 2004 (here, in polish), before obtaining his polish passport in June 2009, allowing him to make the switch. (Check his entry in wikipedia)

In the case of Gregory Sertic, he played in the Toulon Tournament of 2009, with 4 appearence against Portugal, Argentina and Chile (twice) (here and here) and also in a friendly, curiosly, against Poland in August of the same year. (here)

Since the Toulon Tournament involves matches where points are disputed, it becomes a official competition, according to FIFA. He did not have a Croatian passport in that year (he got it until 2013), so FIFA forbids him to switch allegiances (see below)

It seems that for FIFA, elegibilty is limited by the different passports you hold before your first "official match" with a national team, with FIFA applying this measure even if the player is entitled to another nationality by heritage. (Here is the news clip)

But FIFA lacks a coherent policy regarding this policy, or worse, it appears to use different criteria depending on which federation is asking for the switch. Because less than one year before denying Serig switch, FIFA allowed a player with similar situation to Serig to change allegiances.

By similar I mean that he also played in a Toulon tournament for his country of birth in 1999, before applying and getting approval of FIFA to play for another country which he could not claim any heritage, in contrast to Serig background.

I am flogging an old horse here: the player is Christian "Chaco" Gimenez.

Beside his participation in the Youth South America Championship of 2001, he also played for Argentina in the Toulon tournament of 1999. The proof? here a archive webpage of the Argentinian newspaper "La Nacion", dated January 20, 2001, with him recalls the experience, but more important, here a Youtube video of the final of that tournament against Colombia, where he is taking the first penalty in the shootout (look at 2:58, you could see him wearing number 17).

So Serig (without a Croatian passport, but with a valid heritage claim to it) is deemed inelegible to play for Poland because he played for France in Toulon Tournament 2009, while Gimenez (wtihout a Mexican passport and not heritage claim to it whatsoever) is granted permission to play for Mexico, regardless of his partitipation with Argentina in the same tournament 10 years before. Why FIFA made two different rulings when faced with the same situation? Either its legal department and archivists are incompetent and selective (find proof of inelegibility in one case, miss or ignore similar facts in the other case) or... fill this space with your conclusion.

If anything, a reminder that an independent, impartial and efficient judicial body, without links to FIFA, is required to deal with these cases. (Sorry TAS-CAS, you fall short in this test).

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The Toulon international youth tournament is not sanctioned by neither FIFA or Uefa.
    Therefore whomever plays in it, representing whichever team they might want to play for, doesn't cap-tie any one, to any nationality.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Sertic, the Toulon Tournament is immaterial because UEFA.com has his competitive debut as:

• National team: UEFA European Under-17 Championship (Elite round)
      29/03/06: France 3-1 Czech Republic

So his competitive debut for France was in 2006 at UEFA U17s.

That doesn't explain why he couldn't make a switch to another national team based on heritage, but Toulon isn't part of the discussion.

25. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    For those old enough to remember "cachirules" (follow the link), this appears as proof that FIFA of these years is not interested anymore in punishing cheaters, unless they are "small fish" (from Africa or Oceania). Certainly not when a judicial process could wreak havoc in the "all important" international calendar.