Post-match: PL Match 24: Newcastle United vs Manchester City, Jan 29 [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Feb 2, 2019.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League
    Tuesday January 29th, 8:00 PM
    St. James' Park, Newcastle

Injured: Ki, Dummet, Shelvey, Diame (NUFC)
    Suspended: None

Referee: Paul Tierney

I didn't want to let this go by without comment. Our first points against a top 6 team this season came quite unexpectedly, and not so undeservedly. After falling behind in the first minute, the players might have sleep walked through the rest of the match, but the defense strengthened and held out for the rest of the half. In the second, Newcastle players were playing more forward and getting into the box to provide opportunities. Man City did have a couple of scoring opportunities of their own, but that's all. Perhaps the early lead took away their sense of urgency. When Rondon scored off a hopeful header forward, we didn't look like underdogs anymore. Credit to Rondon for hitting the volley from behind him and almost through Atsu.

If you watched it live, you can tell your grandkids about the day Newcastle was awarded a penalty against a big club. Fernandinho spun away from Rondon and right into Longstaff. Huge mistake by Danilo to pass it into him while we were still on the edge of their box. I think they thought it was going to be easy, but Rafa can make you work, even with four starters out.

These points were sorely needed. Combined with the win against Cardiff ten days earlier, there's a 5 point lead above the Bluebirds and the relegation places. Hard work should keep us safe if the squad can get healthy. Sadly, I expect the end of the season to be the end of the road for Benitez, regardless of the result. Time will tell.

Did anyone else watch this one?

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Nope. Listened to the radio broadcast. Refuse to pay for NBC Sports Gold.

Thx,

Jay!

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to see it on the regular NBCSN, since it was a Tuesday and we were playing the Premier League champions, but of course they showed Manchester United v. Burnley instead. Found a stream without much trouble.