Pirlo and Buffon going forward

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Calcio Pauly, Jun 26, 2014.

1. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember Azeglio Vicini used the 1988 European Cup as a "proving ground" or preparation for the real event that was the World Cup hosted in Italy in 1990.

This should be the approach going forward of the NT management. Pick players now that will be there in 4 years time. If they are going to fail, let them fail. Only when we truly can appreciate the extent of the problems facing Italian football will administrators have the strength to face them.

ArtemioD repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #52 falvo, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    They have to start somewhere and the question remains will those two accept to play qualifying matches at 36 yars of age knowing that they may not be picked for a finals in 2 years time? I doubt they would want to. If history has proven anything, the only over 36 year old to ever dress for the national team if I'm not mistaken are Piola and Zoff and that was over 60 and 30 years ago. I'd have to research but I doubt there are many others. I'd personally pull an Azdeglio Vicini and go with the bulk of an Under 23 adding a few under 30's and/or over 25's. If a good Serie B or C team in Italy can't beat these guys in Euro qualifying, Norway, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan and Malta then its really time to worry and the FIGC will face serious problems. They may have a little trouble with Croatia but they should be able to handle everyone else.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I don't have any trouble seeing younger players coming through but based on what we saw in Brasil, no one is ready to pick up the lantern. Again, this should not be about Pirlo and Buffon. Based on the comments of the senators, the young ones did not have the right attitude. Also how many of them have international club experience? Some of you are putting high expectations on players to set them up for failure.

There is a need for transition. There is always a need for transition. Do you do it gradually or abruptly? Go with the latter and these players may not get experience in France in two years time.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #54 falvo, Jun 28, 2014
    I personally think they were out of their element and when all else fails I have a feeling when the national team gets back to playing in Europe, things will be different. The climate, conditions and exhaustion among other things could have very well hindered this team. I mean stopping a game to get water? I don't think I've ever seen that and other European sides have also had problems. Spain won 3 tournaments in 4 years and England, Portugal and Russia all fell flat in Brazil so its not like Italy was the only team who had trouble.
    He used Alessandro Altobelli who was 32 in 88 and I believe he was the oldest one.

5. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we make 34 yo the cut off only these players will be too old for Russia 2018.

Motta: 35
    Cassano: 35
    Barzagli: 37
    Pirlo: 39
    Buffon: 40

I say a clean break is in order.

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #56 Calcio Pauly, Jun 28, 2014
    See that word in brackets? It means: In addition ;)

Have you ever asked yourself what need you have to nit pick my comments? In full context there is not one thing Ive said about him that is false. You choosing to highlight the few points that you can exaggerate out of context is more really about your conpletely over blown expectations. Tell us...he wasn't Totti and didnt dribble the ball into the net...so he sucks. Ok!

Closer to scoring :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    So Cassano was our best player!! lol

And Motta was oh so much better than him when he came on too. :thumbsup:

7. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I refer to things you say its not ok but when you refer to things I didn't say its ok.

Play fair.

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Aww

Need a cookie?

:D

jerrito repped this.
  9. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :coffee: Thanks

jerrito and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't want to talk about him anymore huh?

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    About Cassano being out best player vs Uruguay? Sure. Tell me more! :coffee:

13. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ball delivered to Parolo in the box could have scored with a header.
    Brilliant one touch passing combination with Motta sent Motta clear through on goal but Motta failed to control the ball when through on goal.

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    "but Motta failed", lol.

Imagine Buffon was just an inch taller on Pirlo's free kick. :( We could have and would have been talking about the beating we gave Colombia today...shame!

15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You take pleasure in that do you. For shame!!

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No pleasure... But tell me who he replaced and all the good things he (Motta) dun?

17. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Amen brother! Buffon is a world champion, something that Cassano will never be.

jerrito repped this.
  18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Cassano 'not normal in the head'
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    The director of Italy’s World Cup camp revealed Mario Balotelli was detached and Antonio Cassano “out of control.”

Sport Mediaset interviewed the director of the Portobello Safari Resort inMangaratiba, where the Azzurri were based for the three weeks of their World Cup campaign.

“Everyone in the staff agreed there was a lack of World Cup spirit. Maybe it would’ve been different without the families, as they could’ve been in a different hotel,” explained the proprietor.

“I saw Balotelli and Cassano detached from the rest of the squad. It was obvious. Buffon, Pirlo and De Rossi were very likeable and nice with us. Buffonwas the nicest.

“There was all the calm in the world here, but without that unity you aren’t going to win a World Cup.”

He also made extraordinary claims about Cassano’s famous short fuse.

“Cassano was out of control. The cleaning lady went up there to clean the room, which is necessary, and he shouted in her face. He’s not normal in the head.”

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It's good that the Italian media doesn't give up to the English media the title of world's worst media without a fight.

totti fan repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a bit of trivia: Buffon & Pirlo don't need coaching badges from Coverciano as they are WC Champions.

totti fan repped this.
  21. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How are the younger talents supposed to get experience if nobody is willing to give them a chance?

You know why (for the most part) Insigne and Immobile performed poorly? Because Prandelli's system did not suit their talents. TikiItalia ruined any progress we made.

I'd keep Buffon, De Rossi and Marchisio moving forward, but we need new faces and fresh ideas. Give them a year or two to figure things out, Euro qualifyication is almost guaranteed with the increase in teams.

22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As I stated, I have no trouble seeing young players getting a chance and encourage it. I do have a problem when they get called for their first shot at a tournament like the World Cup. Prandelli made many mistakes and one of them was if he was planning to bring in some young guys, he needed to do so during the qualifying cycle to integrate those players. But I don't think it was planned. He decided to take guys on the last minute. If it was one or two, no problem. It was a lot more than that.

jerrito and Stamos repped this.
  23. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed. The man went mad. No other explanation.

So many bizzare decisions..

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Bringing back Cassano after leaving him in hiatus for two years was another.

jerrito repped this.
  25. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That. Never giving Insinge, Verratti or Immobile a chance during qualifying.

The adoration of Romulo.

First waiting for Rossi, then giving up on him apparently before 30 man selections.

The inclusion of Darmian out of nowhere (turned out to be a good decision but did no favors with team chemistry)

The idea of several formations and being unpredictable. Turned out he simply didnt know what to do.

And his fascination with Twitter and having it be the first thing the team discussed. Really?? Who cares!!

Falc repped this.