Pirlo and Buffon going forward

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Calcio Pauly, Jun 26, 2014.

1. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Italy has to move on from these two. No reason to build the team around them. Let's integrate some core players with talented youth. Let's treat friendlies like something needed to prove the worth of the players. Midfield has to be creative but also strong! Pirlo is amazing, but shouldn't be featured. Can't believe I said it

Persona repped this.
  2. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #27 Pietro Calcio, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    I know some are more optimistic than others, saying things like " our coach was more of the problem " and " CR and Uruguay played defensive counter attack football but we still attacked" but in all my years of watching Gli Azzurri I have never seen such an impotent display of attack coupled with the fact that we aren't producing elite European talent like we used to. In years past if we managed to scrape by the group phase we had the talent to go far and win the whole thing. One look at the 1990,94, 98, 02 teams and that is clear, then compare those teams to our latest teams. There was some mention of 82 and 94 and look what unfolded after the group. Again I say look at the players on that team....the 78 team was even better than the 82! 2002 again we scrape through and had the talent but we weren't "allowed" that time. There was a lot of dubious officiating in the last match against Uruguay no doubt, but in all honesty I never saw this team advancing past the quarters anyway. Lucky to get past the last 16 really imo. We don't have world beaters anymore and I hate to say this but I believe we are about to enter a period of Italy not doing too well at the international stage for quite some time. The way I see it we won't get to another final in either the World Cup or the Euro for maybe another 3 to 4 WC and 2 to 3 Euros. I think 2012 was our "last hurrah" for a while. I know there was some mention Italy average a final every 12 years in the WC so that would mean Russia is our year to go far but I don't foresee it. These latest Italia squads are not the squads of my youth where it was hard to beat us, lately we are conceding too many goals and losses in ALL matches and not just friendlies anymore. It's more disheartening with the way things are in Serie A now. The only way Italy will start to produce world beaters again imo is to follow the german model and invest in youth academies. Say what you will about Germany and how "we still beat them" and how many members of their squad aren't all that impressive and how they still haven't won anything yet on the international stage since their overhaul . They have been the most consistent on the international level and domestic level for the last 8 years. They took our CL spot and I don't see Serie A getting it back anytime soon. If something doesn't change for the better our calcio is about to enter a dark age....I hope I'm wrong

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s reported Antonio Cassano turned on Gigi Buffon and the Italy ‘senators’ after their World Cup exit.
    According to La Repubblica, the Parma man stood with the younger players and pinned the blame on the old guard.
    “We only won when you weren’t on the pitch,” Cassano is alleged to have told captain Buffon on the flight home from Brazil.
    The goalkeeper was injured for the 2-1 victory against England, as Salvatore Sirigu impressed in his place.
    La Repubblica also claims FantAntonio complained that Buffon and Daniele De Rossi “want to make all the decisions.”
    It’s reported Buffon threatened to “give Cassano a slap” if he continued his protests.

4. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buffon: 'Same old faces deliver'
    By Football Italia staff

Gigi Buffon slammed those calling for a generational shift. “You have to judge people on what they are doing, not what they could potentially do.”

The Italy and Juventus captain spoke to the Corriere della Sera newspaper about the dire first round World Cup exit in Brazil.

“Before the World Cup we knew we weren’t the best, but still thought that we were mature and reliable enough to reach the Last 16, at the very least.

“The initial victory over England gave us false hope. Before this World Cup Italy were a team appreciated for their entertaining football, but here we looked like a side without ideas.

“That is in no way a criticism of the Coach. Cesare Prandelli is a good man and a great tactician, so I am sorry he resigned. He brought the fans closer to the Nazionale with patience, sentiment and hard work. He won that challenge.

“The idea of adopting a new style of playing with the men at his disposal was right. In three competitions, we twice finished on the podium. The blame in a huge debacle like this is to be spread out between everyone. No single person was at fault, but everyone was.”

Straight after the defeat to Uruguay, Buffon was highly critical of the young players who didn’t step up, appearing to point the finger in particular at Mario Balotelli.

“I have never been afraid to express myself,” the goalkeeper told the Corriere della Sera. “Sometimes opinions burst out of me like sneezes.

“I expressed an idea that I am still convinced of now, but in 20 years of my career I’ve never attacked a teammate. Imagine if I could’ve done that in such a moment. Besides, Balotelli is 24, so he’s certainly not a young player.

“When I was 24 I hated people acting like big brothers or extra fathers with me. I have a father, a mother and two sisters already. So Balotelli needs no advice from me, he needs to listen to his family. If I had something to say to him, I’d do it directly.

“I often hear ironic comments on the ages of Andrea Pirlo, Daniele De Rossi, Andrea Barzagli and also Buffon. Idle chatter passes by and the facts remain on the field: the players who break their bones for the cause are always the same ones, every time.

“Those who tell us to think carefully if we want to continue should look at who is still the focal point of this Nazionale. You have to judge people on what they are doing, not what they could potentially do. This is how you build men, otherwise you risk looking like an idiot.

“Often youngsters have so much responsibility and expectation heaped upon them, but are fragile underneath. I’ve heard since 2010 that this Italy side is old. If you are young and have the talent to become a champion, you don’t play for the Nazionale after three or four games. You have to earn your stripes in Serie A.

“I played for the Nazionale two years after my Serie A debut and realised it was an honour and not an easy burden to shoulder. Now after three good performances a player gets into the squad and takes everything for granted.

“I agree with what De Rossi said. In these competitions it is your strength of character as a man that makes the difference.”

Buffon may well have been referring to Mattia Destro, who was asked to accompany the Italy squad to Brazil as an alternate to the list of 23 in case of injury, but told Prandelli he’d “have to think about it.”

Meanwhile, Pirlo said he’s prepared to reconsider international retirement if the new Coach wants him in the side.

“If he is made to feel important, then Pirlo can still be fundamental,” concluded Buffon. “Someone of his talent doesn’t deserve to end this career with a failed World Cup.”

whill4 and jerrito repped this.
  5. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Pirlo is incredible, god love him, but you need to move on from a player like that. The coach needs to literally scheme the midfielders around him to such a specific that it's near insanity. No De Rossi
    and the midfield falls apart. Pirlo doesn't run anymore, I'm pretty sure there was a stat in the Costa Rica game where throughout the full 90 minutes Pirlo had 4 sprints total, De Rossi had over 40. You can't have a midfielder just slowly jogging everywhere, it's virtually 10 on 11 at that stage.

The dilemma is though, who the hell is going to replace him? I think that's the main reason why he's still playing and still offering his service. He knows that there isn't a playmaker in Italy who is anywhere near his caliber at the moment.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have no doubt that either player can't get the job done until they are both 40 but I think whoever the new boss bis should start anew. Sirigu can be just as good as Buffon if given the chance and although there is no real replacement for Pirlo, maybe its time to develop someone else.

7. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in favor of Italy moving forward. Of the old guard De Rossi should stay on, for the rest it's time to step aside and let the team work toward the future. All of Barzagli, Buffon, and Pirlo would be practically 40 by the time of the next World Cup.

jerrito repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No more time for sentiment, the bottom line is we need to score more goals. Two goal in 3 games is simply not acceptable!

9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Ay yi yi, sounds like the Dutch. What a shitshow.

10. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not understanding. If Pirlo is one of our best players, why would we have to move on from him? I get that when he's playing he's the focal point for us and we might have to switch that up but to me it makes no sense to get rid of one of your best.

Will he be as effective in four years? I don't know. But as long as he's effective he should be a huge part of this team.

He is not the reason we aren't still playing.

11. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The reason the older guys have so much power is that the Marchisio generation (say 24-30) hasn't produced many key players for the national team. I'm not against getting rid of them all but will the new manager have the faith. That's why I'm in favor of Guidolin who can develop a younger group.

12. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well technically Cassano is right lol

ArtemioD repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not against Cassano and what he said because he is right. When they win, the old guard takes the credit and when they lose, the younger players are to blame. I think everyone (young and old) should be at fault for this failure.

14. Zenga18

Zenga18 Member

Dec 11, 2005
    What gets me is if you're a captain or a veteran you look like an ass for complaining after the fact that players weren't focused, giving 100%, whatever the issues were. Buffon at 36 isn't there for his abilities between the posts, if he's not leading the team off the field there's no point in having him around anymore.

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If anyone thinks that our problem this WC was either Pirlo or Buffon or both, they are smoking some weird shit. First, Prandelli already stated that he built the team around Balotelli and it failed. That does not put the blame on Balotelli but instead the tactics employed by Prandelli. If Pirlo or Buffon continue with gli Azzurri, it is for a limited time. I think both have put their availability at the next coach's disposal. I don't think Pirlo expects to continue and be called upon. Buffon proved himself and there is no reason why he needs to quit.

Cassano did nothing. When inserted against Costa Rica and Uruguay, we got worse. It was a big mistake to bring him when he was not part of the group. At his age, is there a future for him with gli Azzurri? At least with the youngsters, a weak argument could be made that it gave them experience. Then again, a team like Italia is not built for experience. It is there for results.

I was going to bring this up on the England match thread since we had a lively discussion afterwards about a player that @Calcio Pauly challenged us not to name. Short kid, got taken out pretty badly by his PSG teammate (the original Who is ______?) who is a darling among many fan boys on this forum. He made a nice impressive slalom run in the middle of the park against Uruguay. It got the oohs and ahhhs out of people. BFD. Did it result in a change to score? No. While I like the kid, see he has skills, he has no game in the last third of the pitch. Now some will come to his defense and state that he did his job. The same argument could be made about Thiago Motta. I am not giving either the key to the Ferrari. Prandelli brought a bunch of newbies to Brasil. Darmian made the best impact of the bunch. The Senators are pissed and rightly so. This likely was their last WC. They did not want to leave like this. Their teammates let them down. And it was the junior members. So before any of you think the new kids on the block will get the job done, and eventually they will, they are not there yet.

jerrito repped this.
  16. Vincenzo89

Vincenzo89 New Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So true.

jerrito repped this.
  17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gigi Buffon will go down as one of the greatest goalkeepers to ever play the game of football. Antonio Cassano will remain as nothing more than a symbol of wasted talent. There is no way I say anything bad about Gigi, ever, especially to praise a complete ass like Cassano.

Calcio Pauly and ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #43 falvo, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    We all love the senators and we all know they can still (presently) play the game , probably better than anyone younger than them but can they continue at this level for 2-4 more years and will they really want to?

Once again, Pirlo will be 37 by the next Euro Tournament and 39 by the next WC and Buffon will be 38 & 40 , respectively. I mean I am still crying because Roby Baggio retired but I don't know how anyone can stop Father Time.

Largo ai giovani already!

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #44 Calcio Pauly, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Some people were arguing like we needed to convert the U21 team. It won't work. You need a mix. Most importantly, the vets need to be respected, especially those who know what it takes to win. I dying know what is true and what is not. Just today Buffon said that Cassano did no wrong and it's all media sensationalism. It may be that the only thing that pissed them off was Balotelli pouting at half and leaving the dressing room at the end of the game.

About the unmentionable... Had a good game defensively too. The slalom run was pretty but ultimately did nothing and aside from the "SFP" foul, after he got hurt and Motta came in we were much worse.

I'm happy Pirlo is staying for a while. Can he be good enough to hang out for the Euro's, who knows, but they can play in the same lineup and Pirlo is worth learning from. Buffon is still good enough to stay on too. Maybe a gradual phase out for these two or all of a sudden when they prove they can't play, but they still can.

jerrito repped this.
  20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I giovani had the chance to step it up. They failed. Now let's see what they can do. But this should not be about Pirlo long term. He may be needed to give a steady hand when we start qualifying. He is not looking to do so though. Buffon is still il capitano. There was nothing wrong with his play. He made some big saves. If the shit Cassano thinks that we scored two goals against England because Gigi was not in goal, he is more of an idiot than he appears. In fact, Cassano did not play in the one match we won. We did lose in the two in which he came on.

jerrito repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL - The game continues ......

jerrito repped this.
  22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm always in it, to win it :p
    lol

jerrito repped this.
  23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Had a good game defensively. LOL. That's the biggest compliment you can come up with.
    Don't you know he is going to be the the fulcrum of the Italian midfield.

In the last 20 minutes when Cassano came on they went closer to scoring on more occasions then in the whole previous 70 mins.

24. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's harsh and also kind of stupid. In the context of Italy's overall failure, at least three younger players did extremely well: Darmian at right-back, Sirigu in goal, and Verratti in midfield. Even the condemnation of Balotelli as a flop is overstated given how little service he had.

Really the more I think of it the more the failure rests on Prandelli. He did not create a cohesive group, and his cautious tactics betrayed his philosophy of retaining the ball and attacking to win.

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you shouldn't give credence to unsubstantiated media reports