Piranhas to host W-League Championship

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by SueB, Mar 14, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    This year's semifinals and finals will be in Hampton Roads.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/

The release doesn't say so explicitly, but I assume this means the Piranhas will get a bye to the semis.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Didn't they also host the W-League Championship a few years ago?

3. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they did, in 2001. The year of the thunderstorm! The third place game was never played and the final was was delayed for about 3 hours! But the stadium in Virginia Beach was perfect (and the beer was good). And the Renegades won. A very good night IMHO, lol.

4. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The stadium was great, but unfortunately this year's final four will be played in a high school stadium next door. Aluminum bleachers and no covering, I hope the weather is better than a few years ago. And you can bet there won't be any beer. What a shame. I'm still trying to find out why the Piranhas couldn't get the stadium for at least the final four. Maybe it has something to do with the 900 or so folks that bout tickets 2 years ago.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad! Really liked the place! Felt like more than 900 in 2001, especially for Friday night when the Piranhas played....I know that after the storm, there were about 12 of us left at the final, lol....and if I go again, I'll again be camping in a tent, so I'm hoping for good weather too!

6. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA