Pipita Higuain ... Y ahora? Real Madrid (R)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by vipnerd, Nov 6, 2006.

1. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
  2. ElGaucho

ElGaucho New Member

Aug 19, 2001
    La Plata
    Re: Pipita Higuain ... Y ahora?

Am I the only one that is upset by this? I mean, sure he is a gallina, but in my opinion, the AFA better try to keep this kid.. it would be a big loss to Argentina if we don't have him playing for us in the future.

I think he is better off in his career playing for argentina than for france. I mean, playing for argentina shouldn't affect his chances at playing for any european club... so what is this "don't want to lose french passport".. idea??

3. Castroman

Castroman New Member

Mar 30, 2006
  4. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

well it might affect his chances since those clubs have limits on how many non europeans can play. if he has the european passport he wouldnt be taking up a coveted 'foreigner' spot. I still think if he keeps getting better though any decent club wouldnt mind taking a 'foreigner'. and if france doesnt allow double citezenship spain does.

5. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
  6. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I read that he has both Argentinian and French passports, so there should be no limitation as far as club is concerned. He can play anywhere he wants in the (crap :rolleyes: ) Ligue 1 while being in the Argentinian NT.

7. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

dunno. ole says that france doesn't allow double citezenship :confused:

8. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

From what I have read if he chooses to play for Argentina then he would immediately lose his French citizenship. I hope Basile picks him for Argentina's next squad, at least that will force the issue and Higuain will have to make a choice as to who he wants to play for.

9. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

If Basile picks him up for the next friendly then i think he won't refuse to play for Argentina. france is showing intrest in him but i haven't seen any such things from AFA. It might have forced Higuain to delay his decisions. Anyway giving him a call for next friendly will be very good idea.

10. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

France allows double citizenship. But maybe Chirac has made a special rule for good football prospects who choose to play for other countries :D

11. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

All media in Argentina points out that France is the only European Union country that DOES NOT allow double citizenship.

My original question is ... what happens if Higuain is called up this Thursday. If he refuses to go, his case can be taken to FIFA and suspended ... similar to the Makelele threat a couple months ago.

Hopefully, the fact that he hasn't played for any country will make the difference in terms of a possible sanction, leaving him the time to decide. But knowing the French ... they might push to sanction him.

Just heard a minute ago on La Red that tonite his father, his rep and Pipita will get together to decide what to do if he is called up on Thursday. The reporter said that it seems he is being counseled to accept the call from France, but that Pipita himself is not sure yet.

12. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Perhaps Basile should get on the phone and ensure him he will get a call up for the Argentine NT?

13. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm pretty sure I have a friend with both Swiss and French passports!.. :confused:

Regarding any sanctions, how is that? Are you obliged to accept the call if you are a professional player, or what? I understand there may be sanctions if you have been playing with the NT and refuse to join them, but if you haven't played yet, and have still not decided, it would be a scandal to get a punishment for that...

14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I can't see how he can be punished as a) he has never represented anyone at international level and b) he has yet to decide which country he will choose to represent.

The saga is getting a bit boring now so it would be good if it gets resolved one way or the other.

15. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm pretty sure that France does allow dual-citizenship, seeing as how I went to a french school in DC and there were alot of French-Algerians, French-Americans, etc.

And there's also a plethora of African players who played for their countries who don't take up foreigner spots because they have a French passport.

16. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Question to River fans: What happens if he chooses france?
    el proximo trezeguet señores y señoras

17. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

:eek:

We have to save the kid then!

18. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Maybe he can apply for a Basque passport, since his family if Basquian and he speaks Basque, something that most Basquians don't do.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

He probably has a better chance of starting sooner for the France NT then he has for the Argentina NT. That might influence his decision.

20. Castroman

Castroman New Member

Mar 30, 2006

guys if his family have the passport even if he drops it he can get it back anytime soon!!! its not like a big deal its not about the passport the link i posted says that he would like to be called to the Argentine NT and is waiting for basile!!!! so he wants Argentina

21. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's never represented Argentina on any youth teams? :confused:

22. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Rejected a call up to the youth teams because of the whole dual citizenship issue.

23. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

French law does allow dual citizenship… Except for some countries that have signed the Strasbourg agreement (Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Germay, Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark, Austria, The Netherlands) a French citizen gaining another nationality doesn't lose its French citizenship automaticlly.

Higuain can stop being French but he would have to ask France for that. :rolleyes:

For African players it's different: according to the Cotonou agreement, African players are considered as European Union players in the French championships.

Strange case anyway, according to the jus soli Higuain is French and although he doesn't speak French he is pre-invited to join Les Bleus…

24. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Apparently Higuain is in the list of 30 players out of 22 will be officially called. The argentinian press keeps saying that he will lose his European passport if he doesn't accept. Still they say he wants to play for Argentina and would deny the call.

Here's an article on Ole (spanish):http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=01305264&fecha=20061108

Aguante Pipita y no Arrugues que sos Argentino!!!

25. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

There is no way Pipita and his people can ignore the fact he wouldn't lose his passport. I see it more like an excuse for choosing France...