Picking up knockout game tickets

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by 22justin, Mar 30, 2016.

1. 22justin

22justin Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Hi there sorry if this has been answered already in another thread. I have FOLLOW YOUR TEAM tickets for Italy up to the semifinals. I am wondering how the knock out tickets work. My friend told me I need to go to the city where the game will be played should my team qualify and pick up my tickets for each subsequent game, is this correct? or do the vouchers sent to me by UEFA when they arrive with the group stage tickets become valid as tickets should my team qualify.

Thanks so much just wondering cause I have to plan things out if I need to go to each city which seems silly.

2. monkeyspunk

monkeyspunk Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Sunderland, England
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You receive vouchers and can collect at any location given by uefa. There will be collection points at all the host cities . Should be able to collect from any of those

3. Thomas1930

Thomas1930 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I just got my vouchers in for the 1/8 and QF. You can exchange them for tickets as soon as 2 days before the game in the hosting city. You will be notified via email where exactly. Please note: only the person named on the voucher can exchange it for a ticket!

4. 22justin

22justin Member

Jul 7, 2008
    so we can't give our tickets to friends or sell them?

5. 22justin

22justin Member

Jul 7, 2008
    is this with group stage games as well or do they send you actual tickets for those and can those be given to a friend?

6. 22justin

22justin Member

Jul 7, 2008
    so just to clarify. we cannot collect the tickets from any host city only the city the game is being played in?

7. GreenClarkey79

GreenClarkey79 New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    That is correct. You have to show id, the payment debit/credit card and the issued voucher in your name to pick up the match ticket. You should allowed to pick it up from any host city pick up point. I saw people being rejected for tickets in Rio who had someone else's voucher.

8. fevon

fevon Member

⚓ Hansa Rostock
    Jun 4, 2014
    I would not generalise here. I know people that exchanged tickets in Brazil and Poland/Ukraine with simple power of attorney, copy of the ticket holder's passport and CC.
    Having said that picking up tickets on behalf of someone else will certainly require some effort...
    When I picked up my own PMA tickets in Brazil the CC was usually sufficient.

9. 22justin

22justin Member

Jul 7, 2008

but once we have converted our vouchers into tickets can we then give those to a friend or sell them at the host venue?

10. fevon

fevon Member

⚓ Hansa Rostock
    Jun 4, 2014
    You can give your tickets away but the question is whether those people will get in without trouble. Nobody can guarantee this but based on experience from past tournaments it should be no issue.

11. Thomas1930

Thomas1930 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Once you have the actual ticket in hand (and not the voucher) it shouldn't be a problem to give it to a friend. I really doubt they gonna ask 60,000 people for ID at the entrance.

12. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    2 different issues here

1) Name on valid ticket different to person trying to enter the game - never been an issue at any major tournament.

2) Picking up tickets not in your own name - this can be problematic.

Normally you can pickup at any ticket office . Normally you can pick them up once YOUR game is known. eg in 2002 I collected my Rep of Ireland 2nd round ticket in Osaka for a game in Korea despite the opposition not being confirmed. Appreciate the difference between FIFA and UEFA but it should be the same. In 2002 I wasn't asked for id. In 2006 I was able to pickup for my brother as well. He was flying in and getting a train on a tight schedule for a 2nd round game so easier when I could give him his ticket in advance.

ID is sometimes requested and it can be an issue. For a champions league final UEFA refused to allow the main ticketholder to collect the 2nd ticket without the 2nd person showing id and then despite having the correct surname and correct inital of christian name only relented after a battle re an English and Irish spelling of the christian name.
    Loads were refused pickup that day too.

I also witnessed UEFA refusing loads of pickups for the 2012 Super Cup final despite photocopies of ids and letters authorising pickup. It took me over an hour to get my ticket albeit long before kickoff. I had bought in my own name but was behind a number of people in the queue who had long disputes.

I would not buy conditional tickets unless the person can guarantee they can pickup. I have bought tickets from people not going to France (at face value) however if they are selected for pickup I will be sweating.

13. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I may be picking up tickets in my wifes name. I intend taking her passport and CC just in case of problems.

14. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    Hi there,

I was trying to find messages that could answer my question. The problem described in this thread is more or less mine's:

- I have vouchers for the second phase of the tournament under my name and my father's name. The surname is the same but the first name is different.

In the letter I received with both tickets and vouchers they are very clear: Only the person whose name is on the voucher, along with its ID or Passport with photo can change the vouchers for tickets.

My father is not coming to France. So I was also thinking about bringing his ID/passport with a signed letter from him but after reading some messages posted here I do not know if it will be possible for me to exchange the vouchers for tickets even with all these stuff.

I have the impression that with FIFA it's easier to achieve it. Apparently they even had automatic machines in the last World Cup to exchange the vouchers by introducing the credit card used for payment. So I guess that it would be possible to get the tickets without having someone checking if you are really the person on the photo of the ID card.

But with UEFA it seems that they are less flexible and that it's a hard mission to get the tickets if the person getting the ticket is not the one of the ticket.

Well... if others have more feedback about this subject namely how things were done in the last EURO 2012 I would appreciate.

Thanks a lot!

15. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I'm in the same position in that I have to collect tickets in my partners name if Spain reach the QF then SF and Final.
    I can't see how they can refuse you if you have with you the correct documents and CC. There are so many circumstances where the original purchaser may not be able to collect in person, and with no way to cancel I would think they have no option other than to release the tickets to anyone carrying the payment CC and passport.
    The person who's name they are in could even be in France but to sick to collect.

16. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    I hope you are right.

I think they can refuse, and that unfortunately they are in their right. Like when you buy a plane ticket, if you are ill and your ticket does not allow to change the dates you just lose your money.

But I also hope that we are dealing with people that understand that the conditions of selling have already too many constraints (you apply without being sure you get tickets and you have to wait for the results of a draw, you buy tickets for matches and you don't know if your team will get there and where they will play, you pay everything in advance, etc) and hope that they will allow people as us (which have a lot of evidence that we are really relatives of those whose name is on the voucher) to get those tickets.

If that's not the case I refuse to apply for more UEFA matches in the future while they maintain all these constraints.

17. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    This is a straight transaction to purchase tickets. If you cannot go then they either have to allow you to hand them back or pass them on. This isn't the same as an airline ticket. But you have me worried enough now that I am going to email them to find out. ;-)

18. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    If you don't mind could you post their answer in this forum when they reply to you? I am definitely interested on it.

Anyway a written email from UEFA authorising a certain person that you indicate to pick up the ticket would certainly make the difference if the guys of the VEP (Voucher Exchange Point) are not keen on exchanging the tickets.

19. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Ok I've emailed them I'll let you know how I get on. I'm still of the opinion tho that they must hand over the tickets to anyone who has the CC they were bought with. There are too many situations that could arise which could stop the actual purchaser from picking them up. But we all know how ridiculous Uefa can be at times.

20. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    Cool! Thanks!

21. c2daw

c2daw New Member

Apr 26, 2016
    I'd also be very interested in the answer, especially after I didn't get one when I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago.

The thing is, we have round of last 16 and QF tickets for Spain on my gf's name, but she can't attend. Additionally, they were paid with my credit card. But when I called the customer service, the lady on the phone wasn't really helpful, just repeating that the tickets were personalised (obviously...). However, she said that in very special circumstances, like when my gf was sick, there might be a chance that the request might be prioritised and that we then could do something. But for this, I'd need to write a mail.

Really hope we can find a solution for that.

22. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As per above I can't see UEFA coming out and saying it will be ok for anyone else to pick up tickets.

However if it is a family member then ideally bring their passport, the voucher and if you like have a letter in reserve authorising you to pickup the tickets. I would only use a letter if refused though. I doubt if a letter will work.

If you hand in the actual passport and the voucher and they match (even if you look nothing like the passport photo) my best guess is you will get the tickets. Remember the staff will not be experienced at checking passport photos with the person present. If they are handed a real passport and a voucher and both names match then they will most likely hand over the tickets. It is a risk though.

Next best is a photocopy of the passport.

Other options include a medical certificate stating the person was unfit to travel. Again not sure but maybe worth a try.

23. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    Yes I will do so (real ID card of my father and letter which I will handle over just in case they notice the photo is not of me). The thing is that my father has the double of my age so unless the guy is really blind I cannot believe that he won't notice it. :p

In my favour i also have the fact that my own ID card has both my parents name so there will not be any doubt that I am indeed the son of the person indicated in the voucher. But they I won't be able to do nothing if they just want to not let me exchange them as the rule is clearly indicated...

popularside repped this.
  24. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    All they should want to know is that the tickets are going to the person who purchased them. I'm sure if you have the CC that was used to purchase them and the voucher then it should be fine. Passport in their name also for back up.

25. ruipaul

ruipaul New Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Academica de Coimbra
    Hi again, no answer to your email from UEFA yet?