Pick-up games in Silver Spring/DC?

Discussion in 'Lot 8' started by SoccerPhox, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SoccerPhox

SoccerPhox Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi folks, I'm new to the area and I'm looking for any outdoor pickup games that play around the downtown silver spring area. I'm looking for any games really, I know there was a previous thread, now closed, about this topic, but it seems to be pretty out-of-date (by about 8 years) so I was curious to see what's new or continues on. Also I have no qualms about weather (being from Boston) so I'm looking for games that carry on rain or shine. No offense meant, but DC shuts down if inclement weather is even forecast...:D Any responses I get will be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

2. Kevin_Arnold

Kevin_Arnold New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live near downtown SS and I don't know of much. I've only been here a year, though.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Can't really help you. Does anyone know when they are reopening the field in Malcolm X Park? They've been working on that field since DCU were Supporters' Shield winners.

4. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can travel up the road a bit, there are pickup games everywhere in the Wheaton/Kensington area.

5. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try meetup.com or sportsvite.com. You can usually find a group that way.

6. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
  7. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ Last updated two years ago though....

One of the things I like about meetup.com is you can set it up so people have to RSVP, that way you know that people are actually going to show up and that it's an active group.

8. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    true, it is hard to generally determine if a group is still active (and that is a perk of meetup), but the one I referenced seems to also have a google group set up [listed in the Notes section] which might be more active than the listing on the site