Phoenix Suns Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by SueB, Jun 30, 2007.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Looks like it's okay to start team threads, so here we go with the Suns as the team prepares for its 40th season in the NBA.

After all the hot pre-draft rumors about possibly getting Kevin Garnett, many Suns' fans seem to be a little let down with the results of the draft, which included trading away their top draft pick for cash and, pending league approval, the dumping of sometime-starter James Jones.

My take - you can't get something for nothing. The Suns weren't willing to trade Stoudemire, so the KG deal was probably never even possible. I think a lot of those rumors were just fueled by media speculation. They did seriously try to get into the top 10 of the draft - probably by offering up Shawn Marion and Kurt Thomas - but it didn't work out. With their top pick at 24, there was little chance of filling their two most pressing needs - a another quality big man, and a solid backup for Nash. So they attempted to fill needs #3 and #3a - bench depth and defense - and got Tucker and Strawberry.

The net - barring any further trades during the free agent signing period - they keep the core of a really good team together and "make another run".

Sounds like they are hoping to pick up one cheap free agent, with Grant Hill apparently their first choice. He'd also help with bench depth as well as provide some experienced leadership and some court sense.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's what some of the Suns have been or will be doing in the off-season:

Steve Nash -vacationed in Thailand, attended Gold Cup semifinal in Chicago (watched his brother play, saw Canada get screwed), interviewed Thierry Henry, spent some time in New York attending celebrity-studded parties and dining with Greg Oden, and is presently running the Steve Nash Skills Academy (for point guards) in New Jersey. Hosting Steve Nash Charity Classic in Vancouver on July 21. (I'll be there! :) )

Amare Stoudemire - has been working out on his own at US Airways Center, ran a youth camp, currently hosting Amare Stoudemire Skills Academy (for big men) in Phoenix, taking a class at Arizona State, committed to playing for Team USA.

Shawn Marion - made an appearance to promote a new kids' reading center.

Boris Diaw - seen working out with Stoudemire at least once. On France's preliminary roster for EuroBasket 2007. Supposedly, attending Tony Parker's wedding on July 7.

Leandro Barbosa - had elbow surgery and missed the Pan-Am games hosted by Brazil. May also miss the FIBA Americas tournament either because of the injury or because the Brazilian federation hasn't yet paid the insurance required by the Suns.

Marcus Banks - will be playing in the Summer League.

Eric Piatkowski - made an appearance in Nebraska to support his alma mater's baseball team.

Jalen Rose - did his annual scholarship thing for Detroit high school kids.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Suns' Summer League Schedule (times Eastern)

Training camp begins July 6

July 9 - vs Cleveland (10:30 pm)
    July 11 - vs Philly (8 pm - live on NBATV)
    July 13 - vs New Orleans (4 pm)
    July 14 - vs Portland (10:30 pm)
    July 15 - vs New Orleans (8 pm - live on NBATV)

Players Reported to be Participating (so far)
    Marcus Banks
    D.J. Strawberry
    Alando Tucker

4. bête noire

bête noire New Member

May 3, 2007
    Valvasone
    (scratches own head) since when are you a basketball/NBA fan, Sue? And why Phoenix, of all franchises?

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    My brother lives in Phoenix, and I've been a casual Suns' fan for a long time. He (my bro') is my lifelong soul-mate in sports fandom, but we'd grown apart in the last 10-15 years because a) he can't fathom being a soccer fan, b) we absolutely hate each other's college teams, and c) I tend to watch sports on DVR while he watches live, which led to one unfortunate moment involving a college football game and after that, no more postgame phone calls to celebrate (or commiserate).

Anyway, we went on a family reunion type trip this winter, and his frantic calls home (from overseas) to try and get the score of a Suns' game (happened to be the classic 2OT win in Dallas) piqued my interest, so I started watching their games. Before long, I had turned into a full-blown fanatic. I even started watching their games live (which is tough living in the Eastern time zone and being an early riser), and our post-game calls were revived. Have to say he tried to warn me off, saying the season would end in tears just because it always does. *sigh*

6. bête noire

bête noire New Member

May 3, 2007
    Valvasone
    indeed, the wise fan would go with the Spurs :)
    watching the Suns however must be much more fun

oh, btw, I forgot to say hi. Excuse me for being unpolite

So, are you wishing for a KG trade, if that comes at the expense of Amarè? The chances of that happening are pretty slim now, though. Financial reasons, I read.

In any case, a very risky decision: although I'm not a fan of Amarè, losing such a young asset can only be justified with an NBA title.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    If only becoming a fan of a team were a conscious choice...

Yes, I was briefly excited about the prospect of KG in a Suns' uniform, but I always figured Marion wouldn't be enough, and I was only for the KG/Amare trade if the Suns also got a top 10 draft choice to make up for the difference in years remaining between the two guys. But that was too much for the Wolves to give up, unless another team was involved who would send a bunch of young guys (the Suns could've provided draft choices). Obviously, that didn't happen, so I'm okay with them basically staying put.

Maybe wait another year, let Marion go ahead and sign with another team then if he wants to, and use the $$$ to sign KG (if he's still at Minnesota) or another big name.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Stein at ESPN has a source that says Grant Hill is a lock to sign with Phoenix at the veteran's minimum.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'll only believe it when it happens. Suns' fans are a little leary after everybody thought re-signing Tim Thomas was a lock last summer.

I'd be really happy to see Hill in a Suns' uniform. He'd be a step up from James Jones as a potential starter with a (to use an overused term) great bball IQ. The question is would be remain healthy. On the other hand, it wouldn't be devastating if he ends up elsewhere. Unless it's the Spurs. ;)

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    More news on the Suns' Summer League roster:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92650

Besides Banks, Tucker, and Strawberry, here are some (the?) other invitees:

Pape Sow - 6-10, Senegal, last played in Toronto
    Adam Hess - 6-7, played in Germany last year
    Melvin Sanders - 6-5, Oklahoma State, played 4 games for SAS last year
    Michael Bradley - 6-10, Villanova played in Spain last year
    Otis George - 6-9, Louisville
    Cameron Bennerman - 6-4, NC State

Free agent Chris Mihm will also be working out for the Suns' staff.

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Bradley's only on the team because of his father.

What?

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hehe, I was going to attempt some humor by inserting *that* Michael Bradley's data or make some comment about how Steve Nash was hoping to test out his soccer skills but decided I was not qualified. Glad I didn't because yours was better.

*This* Michael Bradley's chances of making the Suns' roster .... I'd have to guess nil.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that - I could actually see him sticking in the Suns' system. He's certainly a step up from Pat Burke.

Bradley's a very good mid-to-long range shooter with no back to the basket game, so he fits the Suns there as a 10 minute a game sub. What makes me think he'll stick is that he's actually a pretty good interior defender and rebounder as well.

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I hope you're right. Have to admit not knowing much about him, just that the Suns don't have much of a history of players brought in like this sticking on the roster. But we'll see. A big guy who can come off the bench and rebound, play defense, and give a few fouls would certainly be a good thing, especially if he can score a few points as well.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's the full Summer League roster. The team will be coached by Phil Weber (which reminds me that the Suns have yet to announce a coaching replacement for Iavaroni):

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College/Team Yrs
    Marcus Banks G 6-2 200 11/19/81 UNLV 4
    Cameron Bennerman G 6-4 205 5/8/84 North Carolina State R
    Michael Bradley F/C 6-10 227 5/18/79 Villanova 5
    Terrell Everett G 6-4 188 6/30/84 Oklahoma R
    Otis George F/C 6-9 240 5/7/82 Lousivelle R
    Ron Hale F 6-8 220 11/5/77 Florida State R
    Adam Hess G/F 6-7 220 4/4/81 William & Mary R
    Melvin Sanders G/F 6-5 210 1/3/81 Oklahoma St. 1
    D.J. Strawberry G 6-5 201 6/15/85 Maryland R
    Pape Sow F 6-10 250 11/22/81 Cal State-Fullerton 3
    Alando Tucker G 6-6 205 2/11/84 Wisconsin R
    Eric Williams C 6-9 291 3/26/84 Wake Forest R

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Basketball News reports that Grant Hill has decided to accept the Suns' offer:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22607.shtml

While Hill is certainly not the answer to everything the Suns' need, I'll still be personally ecstatic if this is true.

Grant Hill was the "missing piece" which finally brought a national championship to Duke in his freshman year. Probably not too many people here remember back in the '80s when Duke was still a perennial bridesmaid, and it wasn't yet fashionable to hate my alma mater. Hill arrived and made the difference on a team that had been completely embarrassed and outclassed by UNLV in the championship game the year before.

17 years later, his pro career has been a lesson in disappointment and unfulfilled promise. It'll be interesting to hear what he cites as his reasons for choosing the Suns, but I suspect some of it is an attempt to try and relive those days by joining a team that is absolutely starving for a championship. Will it happen? Only time will tell. He's an old man in basketball years, so it seems really unlikely that he'd once again be the "missing piece". But I'll be rooting especially hard for him to succeed.

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm posting your quote from the NBA thread over here so people don't have to jump between the two threads.

Alot of what I've read so far has him penciled in as a starter. That would be a line-up of Nash, Bell, Hill, Marion and Amare (if no one is traded). IMOP that would hurt them more than help.

Also, if he started then Diaw would be on the bench and I think his psyche would be hurt if that happened and he would be terrible coming in cold off the bench.

I agree with you that he should be off the bench and his minutes definitely need to be within the range you said or he could re-injure himself or be worn out out by the time the playoffs roll around.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Suns opened their Summer League with an 93-89 loss to Cleveland. I watched much of the game on-line. Sort of hard with no announcers or scoreboard or anything. I turned it off after 3 quarters when it looked like it was turning into a blow-out, but I guess the Suns finished strong.

Marcus Banks was the dominant player for the Suns, scoring 42 points - a Summer League record. Not sure how to feel about that:

a) He damn well ought to be dominant - he's a 4-year veteran among rookies and marginal pros;
    b) If Marcus Banks dominated, the rest of the players on the roster must be absolutely horrendous;
    or
    c) Hey, maybe he'll actually be a contributor this year!!

Considering he STILL had more turnovers than assists, I'm sort of feeling a)ish. Tucker was very energetic but didn't score much (13 for the game). Strawberry seemed out of sorts at the offensive end. But he's very very fast - Barbosa fast - and he had one monster slam after a steal. And he did make an NBA three, which was nice to see. Just not sure he's NBA-ready though.

Alas, Pape Sow showed nothing. Otis George was more impressive, but he's only 6-9. Not quite the answer to "big" depth. Still four more games. Things change. Next game (Wed) is on NBA TV so will be easier to watch.

Other news - it's looking likely former Sun Jay Humphries will fill the coaching vacancy left by Marc Iavaroni's departure. He's on the bench with the summer team this week.

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Lots of Suns' stuff (not "news" per se) the last couple of days because it's a slow sports period with MLB off for the All-Star break:

- The Suns are having a press conference at 2:30 Eastern to announce the signing of "their newest member", Grant Hill (airing on suns.com)

- The summer Suns beat the Pistons in an unofficial scrimmage yesterday in Vegas. The Suns play the Sixers tonight at 8 Eastern on NBA TV

Some other articles:

Collins views Hill as perfect fit for Suns

Suns want leadership from Banks

Shawn Marion is hosting a free 3-day camp for school-age kids in Chicago next week

Tucker makes Suns debut, faces adjustment to pro style of play

Suns will re-sign center Marks to a one-year deal

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Oh, and there is also this:

Grant Hill will be keeping #33. Why is this significant? Because it's a RETIRED NUMBER for the Suns. It belonged to Alvan Adams (who happened to be my first favorite Suns' player).

Some are saying it was a classy gesture by Adams (still a member of the Suns' organization) to agree to let Hill wear his old number.

But my take is - he should never have been asked!! Just pick a different friggin' number, Grant. Adams said he actually had to *think* about it for a day and THEN agreed to it. As soon as he had to think about it, they should've just said ... it's okay, Alvan, don't worry about it. I just don't like the idea of messing around with retired numbers. Now I'm almost convinced Hill will be hurt most of the season.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Totally agree. There's a reason teams retire a certain number for a player. It's not like Kobe or KG is coming and demanding the number. It's friggin' Grant Hill.

What will the Suns do in a year or 2 when Hill is no longer playing? Re-retire it for Adams?

The basketball gods will not be looking kindly upon this at all.

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    So the question about the number was asked at today's press conference to introduce Grant Hill, and Steve Kerr claims that Alvan Adams came up with the idea of offering to let Hill to wear his number all on his own.

Okay. I suppose it could be true.

But I still don't like it.

25. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    yeah, not too classy, even if it was offered to him. But of course, I have a hard time recalling any pro athelete that wasn't obsessed with his jersey number.