Phoenix Municipal Stadium

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by OnlyOneTInFootball, Jan 9, 2012.

1. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Apparently the Oakland A's are moving out of Phoenix Municipal Stadium in 2014 over to Hohokam. I think it could be reused well for soccer, at least for spring training if not a Phoenix minor/major league team, and certainly better than its Floridian counterpart Al Lang.

- While not perpendicular like Portland's Jeld-WEN field would have been but for its curved end zone, the first and third base sides are each linear, unlike newer baseball stadiums (including the KC Wizards old stadium)
    - Each sideline runs the length of the field
    - The capacity is 8775, which is on the big side for spring training and minor league soccer, but capacity could be easily closed off by not selling the bleacher seats on the narrow side of the field
    - Centrally located-ish, near light rail and with ample parking
    - Nice setting
    - Municipally owned and available to rent, unfortunately not when the A's are using it, but could potentially be relatively inexpensive
    - Location of concrete shade barrier allows part of the stadium to not get direct sun for most of the day - unfortunately not the best part of the stadium to watch a soccer game from

Not saying there are not cons, but I think this is one to watch.

2. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like an excellent place to reconfigure for a soccer stadium. There is a lot of area to park as well. I also do not see it being a huge issue lining up along the third base line. You may have to take some seats out on the first base line, but you can move them pretty easily to the outfield I am guessing.

Good luck guys.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the many groups that has talked about putting a team of some sort here over the years considered Muni at one point.

There are some positives to that site, to be sure.

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds just like TEP.

5. Silverwolf1774

Silverwolf1774 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    US East Coast
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They turned Jeld-Wen Field into a soccer field from a baseball field in Portland why not. I love the Phoenix area for a new MLS home. Maybe a Chivas move and rebrand?

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Cause it cost about $31 million to do, on top of the $38 million they'd spent ten years prior to that? And because the stadium in Portland was already about a 17,000 seater, whereas Phoenix Muni seats half that?

Other than that, capital idea.

Up to Jorge Vergara. Not sure he wants to leave the access to a much larger potential audience of the demographic he's attempting to reach, even though they've had a tough time reaching it.

7. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the short term, Phoenix Muni would be good for a NPSL, USL or NASL team (or even two for that matter) All that would really need to be changed is the field. 8,000 is plenty, hell even just having one side open would be enough seats.

I got $20 to pitch in who's with me? :D

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you still have to deal with the summer temps. It's not insignificant.

9. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, as I've only lived here for 35 years now pretty sure I understand the summers.

NPSL Season runs from April to July - 7 home games
    USL PDL Season runs from April to July (August playoffs) - 8 home games
    USL Pro Season runs from April to July (August playoffs) - 11 home games
    NASL season runs April to October - 14 home games

All that being said the NPSL season wouldn't be that bad July is pretty hot, but I'm sure something could be worked out to get our home games more towards the beginning of the season.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which puts your team at a bit of a competitive disadvantage.

And very few people are interested in seeing NPSL-level soccer as it is. Almost no one will be interested in seeing it in 110 degrees, which it'll be by mid-June.

USL Pro is 12 home games, BTW.

11. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are completely against the idea, got it.

110 in June is not normal btw, sure we've had record highs at 110 (even the 122 of '95) but on average it is much closer to 100.

Pf course a NPSL team will be tough it needs time to establish itself in the community, and to build a fanbase.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't care either way. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

Average high temperature in Phoenix, June 2011: 104.3.

Nine days in June 2011 had a high of 110+. And, as I'm sure you know, it's still over 100 after sundown, usually.

And the record 122 was in June of 1990, a day after a 120. The 1995 figure was 121 on July 28.

I'm not saying you can't play in it. I'm saying nobody's going to go sit through it. Especially lower-level soccer.

13. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate your concern for my decisions. Which by the $20 offer I made earlier, I believe it is clear, I am in no situation to make this happen. Do you really think someone is going to pursue this? Let people dream man.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pursue Phoenix Muni? I don't know. Maybe. It's a lot of money, but it's a good location.

Muni has probably outlived its usefulness, especially if the A's move to HoHoKam. The trend is toward two-team complexes. Arizona could really use one more team in the Cactus League to avoid the daily split-squad nonsense, so they'd have to steal one from Florida and that's not going to happen unless someone builds a new two-team complex.

Minor-league baseball's not happening here, so something's going to eventually have to be done with Muni or the site it's on. The thing was built in 1964, so it's a bit long in the tooth. (Phoenix's site says "Willie Mayes" hit the first home run there, oy.) A soccer conversion might be more trouble than it's worth.

Someone's apparently going to try to play in the NPSL next year. The biggest issue is that most lower-level teams are underfinanced and don't devote resources to actually selling tickets. Throw an obstacle like 104 degrees in the way of that and it's even harder. A lower-level Phoenix team playing outdoors would very likely find it very, very difficult to sell tickets.

And dream all you want. I'm here to provide the balance in nature.

15. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a thought, how about night games? It is not unheard of. Running in 90 degree temps is not going to kill anyone and the affect of the sun won't be a factor. I figure it would be safe to come out of the coffins by 8:00pm.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Play at night? Hadn't thought of that. Thanks, Mr. Obvious. You're a life saver.

http://youtu.be/5XZMC1M9o04

I said you can play in it. You can. And it's not just 90 here in the early evening in the mid-summer.

The question is who'll pay to go see it? And not a lot of people will. Especially at the lower levels, and especially with the level of funding and resources that a lower-level team would have.

Every team that plays here that has part of its season extending into or beginning in the hottest months of the year does so indoors. It's not a coincidence.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the month 6/17-7/16/2011, temps at 7:51pm and 9:51pm (that's just when they took the observations for some reason):

Fri...6/17/2011....97.0/93.9
    Sat...6/18/2011....98.6/93.0
    Sun...6/19/2011....93.9/90.0
    Mon...6/20/2011....97.0/91.9
    Tue...6/21/2011...102.2/97.0
    Wed...6/22/2011...106.0/99.0
    Thu...6/23/2011...105.1/98.1
    Fri...6/24/2011...102.9/99.0
    Sat...6/25/2011...106.0/97.0
    Sun...6/26/2011...107.1/100.0
    Mon...6/27/2011...109.0/100.0
    Tue...6/28/2011...107.1/102.0
    Wed...6/29/2011...102.9/99.0
    Thu...6/30/2011...102.0/97.0
    Fri...7/01/2011...106.0/99.0
    Sat...7/02/2011...107.1/102.0
    Sun...7/03/2011....97.0/93.0
    Mon...7/04/2011....99.0/97.0
    Tue...7/05/2011...100.0/86.0 ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjK7WF2sN8c]Haboob[/ame])
    Wed...7/06/2011....97.0/93.9 (rained)
    Thu...7/07/2011...100.9/98.1
    Fri...7/08/2011...104.0/99.0
    Sat...7/09/2011...104.0/87.1 (Haboob)
    Sun...7/10/2011....96.1/93.0
    Mon...7/11/2011....97.0/93.0
    Tue...7/12/2011...100.0/95.0
    Wed...7/13/2011....98.1/93.0
    Thu...7/14/2011....97.0/89.1
    Fri...7/15/2011....98.1/93.9
    Sat...7/16/2011...100.9/97.0

18. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your issue here is 5-6 game days out of the scheduled 14 for the season, realistically half would be home games, so we are talking 3 home games out of 7 that would be hot. Again why not just schedule the home games earlier in the season? Your competitive advantage argument has been completely undermined by your heat argument. I'd go to see minor league soccer at night in June and the first week of July, sure I'm in the minority, but I would.

19. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also believe this last summer was one of the hottest on record. Besides at 7:15 I am pretty sure the sun is still up. Have games at 8 or 8:30. It is not unreasonable to get out of a game at 10 or 10:30 even on a weekday.

As far as getting people to show up, well that is the challenge. Even when they had that big FMF tournament down there not a lot of people showed up. Of course the excuse was that it was not marketed, it was last minute, or something or another. If you have the only team in town that is a marketing point. You just have to network and get the word out. Get American Outlaws Phoenix, Phoenix Rising, and the local soccer clubs and leagues to help get the word out once you get established. I know there are many soccer fans in the valley that would love to support a local team. Hell some are even wishing that Chivas USA would move to the valley. If that is not desperation I do not know what is.

Oh and I am really starting to think you should have a team called the Phoenix Haboobs. You really cannot go wrong with "boobs" in the name.
    Who doesn't like boobs? Even a chant of "we love boobs" could be used at the games.

20. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im joining this discussion. i live in Tempe at the moment, and would love to see a soccer team

21. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's still tickets available to see the USMNT on Saturday.

22. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ill think about that. i don't ever go to USMNT games anymore, but i might make an exception if Wondolowski is playing.

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to ask why? It says your country is Mexico, so I'm assuming thats why.

24. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I should clarify.

I don't really like friendlies whatsoever, regardless of whether or not it is US or Mexico.

I used to be very gungho about the US team. until I started noticing some of things I hear coming from US fans towards mexicans and mexican-americans. It didn't sit well with me at all. I tried chalking it up to being drunk fans, but I also realized I didn't have much in common with most of the fans after that.

Don't get me wrong. I know both sides of the equation. I'm not the type to yell stupid gringo or throw a bag of piss at the US players. my dad, as fervent a mexico fan as he is, had taught me to know never do that at ANY player who represents their country. tbh, i really dont "hate" the US team, nor salvies or anyone in this region. I just love futbol in general.

that and all my spending money went to this past weekend with my gf. the West Wind Drive In theater and Tempe Mill Ave.

25. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still put alcohol as problem #1 for the rivalry.
    But wouldn't that be funny. Tucson and Phoenix having two minor league soccer teams play at ex-MLB facilities.