Phil's interview at the new Orlando club announcement

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Barrovianhordes, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WARNING

Its hard to listen to, it felt very strange to me , i imagine like over hearing your very recent ex love of your life describing her new younger, more athletic, richer & better looking new toyboy:(:eek:

http://media.trb.com/media/mp3/2010-10/57044021.mp3

Can't say you werent warn'ed:eek:

2. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for posting this. I love the way he brags about winning the Austin Chamber of Commerce community relations award two years in a row. He doesn't even recognize the irony of what he is saying. That award goes to a business that shows a commitment to the community. By leaving the city he has showed that he never deserved that award. But because he won it, he can still brag about it. It's kind of like a dictator who starts a war, and then brags that he won the Nobel Peace Prize before the war started.

I've got an idea. Can we ask the Chamber of Commerce to revoke that award they gave him? It would just be a symbolic gesture, but it would be nice.

Dave

3. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Sounds reasonable and well your there can you ask Obama to return the Nobel prize too since giving him the award has made it truly worthless.

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    We get it. You don't believe Phil's actions justify our response. Can't you just go back to the Stoke boards?

I don't think the award should be revoked. But I take the point that the commitment to the community wasn't what it appeared to be. You don't up and leave without a word to those whom you asked to volunteer for the cause. You just don't, at least not if you're a good leader.

5. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Sheesh tongue in cheek post and I get a message telling me to get lost.

And as I've said before I do believe your response is reasonable and not out of proportion but I shall do as you ask.

Good luck with everything folks.

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If you weren't being snarky, then I apologize. I certainly read it as such, but still waiting as I am like a naive child for Phil to say anything to his Austin volunteers and supporters, perhaps my judgment is not very good right now.

7. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well now, to be fair, here's a quote from the original letter confirming the relocation:

"The fans in Austin have given us fantastic backing and fully deserve pro soccer. I know many of our fans and their families personally and they will know that our decision to relocate has been taken with a very heavy heart. I know many people will be bitterly disappointed but we have been left with no local options of backing.
    I would like to thank all the loyal Aztex fans for their support over the past three years."

I don't doubt that that was heartfelt.
    And, I think, I'm personally moving into some subsequent stage of grief:

Maybe it had to end like this.
    Maybe it's better this way.
    Life goes on, after all.

Was it something I said?

8. tallpauluk/usa

tallpauluk/usa New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Austin TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow i just listen to this interview but i had to trun it off the crap that was coming out of that mans month made me fill sick. i got as far as him talking about community work what total crap. yeah you work in the community but all have done is left a big whole.yes the club did stuff for the kids but now you have walk away from it all and left nothing but hurt and hatred towards you and the aztex name here in austin .

9. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    We'll do that when the Queen of England returns the Falkland islands and all the other territories to their owners :D

10. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    And who owns the Falkland islands?

(don't step on that loaded mine)

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    La Malvinas! LIBRE!

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When a big businessman (or wannabe in Rawlins' case) talks about "the community" while talking about his venture, just remember: community relations is a subset of public relations.