Philly Union and SOB situation.

Discussion in 'The River End' started by local136RiverRat, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Coonpath

Coonpath Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Shamong, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do these even exist anymore???

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Ansbro saying it multiple times?

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, just a little more concrete than that ...

5. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Secret secret I've got a secret...

Domo arigato, Mr. Dills.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official. We're making the push back to BigSoccer. Hopefully the discussions stay on track, somewhat.

Phillyspur repped this.
  7. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had an overhang or guy wires to work with, we could probably approximate that. Unfortunately, neither of those things are in place and so we work with what we can. For example the message banner we displayed at the Tickets for Troops Night in July.

We're always thinking about different ways we can make our tifo greater, but again, we have to work with our surroundings.

8. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random thought, and I have no idea how plausible this would be... but would it be possible to utilize the "flag pole holders" behind the riverend seating for a larger upright tifo that would be easier to read? maybe some taller poles could be placed in them and help string up something?

9. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was actually the plan for the Troops Night. The banner was going to stay up for the whole game.

The thing is, though...they aren't "flag pole holders" per se. They're actually lightning rods that we've used to support the checkered flags. When there is lightning in the area, we aren't supposed to use them, as they're there to protect us in TRE.

We used the flag poles we give out for the SoB flags for that, and they are about 5' tall, so it should work. It just wasn't doable that night. As you may recall, that was the night we had the lightning delay. The white Eagle flags we made for the occasion were put up there and I was able to collect them just in time before the delay.

thomas19064 repped this.
  10. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone that doesn't know, HazmatCorntail is Tim Stosar, the SoB Tifo guy.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, good luck with that.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is practical/feasible or not. What if we gave the FO the idea of putting actual flag poles (3-4) at the back of TRE? They could also double as lightning rods. This would give the SOB's some rigging for larger, more elaborate Tifo displays, and also a place to fly an American flag, a Join or Die Flag, a Union Team Flag and an SOB Flag during events.

13. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how feasible, but it's certainly something we can we explore for next year. Thanks!

TheNJHammer repped this.
  14. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we actually did discuss this at the beginning of the year with the FO. The issue, outside of costs, revolved around having engineers install the poles, the weight tolerance, possible affects of wind since the back of the River End is open, as well as concerns about people walking on the roof behind the section, etc. It started to become a pretty big project which was ultimately shelved until the off-season. Like Tim said, it'll be something we're going to readdress since we all know we need it.

15. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the Union vs Seattle/PTFC comparisons, and the Union vs Borussia Dortmund comparison in another thread, I think that TRE SoBs do a very good job vocally. And I think Soccer in America is starting to get away from the goal here. Everyone wants to look good, when IMO sounding good is the most important and I think TRE SoBs have that. I see photos of PTFC/Seattle/Montreal people walking with flares and SJ also has big Tifo displays. But how does that make you any better supporter because you can hold fireworks and and paint banners. True supporters use their voice.

The reason I say TRE SoBs because Im SoB elsewhere. I do not want to take credit where its do. Next 2-3 years Im going to be moving over from my club seats.

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad to hear someone outside of TRE thinks we sound good, because from my perspective (towards the back of 137) I feel the chanting has been rather lack-luster the past few years... maybe things are better than I think they are on that front.

17. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some nights are not as good as others. But in my honest opinion TRE SoB sounds good. Clear for me at club seats, I cannot speak for other side of field, and clear on TV on the occasional game I cannot make to PPL.

Im curious to know what we sound like at NY and at DC. I cannot comment because I am one of the loud ones chanting and standing rather than sitting and focusing hard on the game.

18. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a non-TRE SOB, and I'm the one who started the thread about the Seattle tifo. I did not start it to be critical of SOB, but rather appreciative of what is being done elsewhere. I think what is being done in TRE as far as tifo is great for the most part. TRE has a long way to go to get to the level of those western clubs. I was merely suggesting that is what we should be shooting for, and that it is cool that it is happening in the US.

19. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The last Nack was definitely am improvement, keep up the good work.

cwelch999 repped this.
  20. FatherOfBen

FatherOfBen New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will get there.. considering those teams have a 30 year head start on us I'm pretty happy with where we are in only a few years. We will only get better with more volunteers, ideas, and enthusiasm.

christie3 repped this.
  21. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Especially for those of us on the end of a row. If you shove ten extra people in the middle of a row, that means someone on the end is going to be standing in an aisle.

22. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pretty sure you and I are in the same row

23. BigFinn

BigFinn New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm a first year SOB and TRE season ticket holder. For the Montreal game I brought my boys who are 7 and 9 and exchanged my tix for seats elsewhere. We ended up in 124 in the front row. From where we were sitting the chants/songs sounded great. It may be hard to tell when sitting in TRE but it certainly gave me a new found perspective on what the rest of the stadium hears from us. I was impressed and really missed the atmosphere. It felt really odd to sit for example. :)

Eric

FatherOfBen, TonyClarkDOOP and Ruud11 repped this.
  24. FatherOfBen

FatherOfBen New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely depends on where you sit. First couple seasons I had season tickets in Section 133 and being above and behind the Sons Of Ben made it really hard to heard them, which probably means sitting Away Fans up there isn't the best thing for the UNION to do.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  25. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I sat in 131 it was much the same.