Philly 2016 :: The Democratic Convention :: Pre, PBP & Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Jul 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I actually think Trump would prefer having Johnson and Stein on stage. He admitted before primary that he doesn't like debating. I mean he invented some BS outrage in order to skip one. Trump's not the quickest of cats in the best of times so he'd be happy to decrease his share of speaking time. He doesn't have the temperament to handle a tough moderator as we saw with Megyn Kelly. If you notice the primary debates he did attend, his answers to questions were usually under the allotted time while most of the other debaters were fighting to get one extra word in. You can get away with that in a bigger field of debaters, but not 1v1 when there's nowhere to hide.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right. Can you imagine him having to talk for half of ninety minutes and have to stop suddenly to give Hillary her time? It'll be insane.

Although he'll probably break all the debating rules.

If he even agrees to the debates.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Trump is too thin-skinned and egotistical to avoid debating Hilary. Could you imagine the barrage of "Trump's dodging the debate" or "Trump's too chicken to debate" themed attacks the Clinton camp would have at the ready if Trump didn't debate?

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Forget where I saw this idea, but I could see it happening:

Trump refuses to debate Clinton unless they waive the 15% threshold and let Stein and Johnson participate. He would make this demand knowing Clinton would be loathe to agree to their inclusion. So she doesn't. She'd stand up for the existing rules. Then the debates don't happen, which is what Donald wants -- but Clinton gets the blame.

That said, the flaw in this scenario is that she could come back at him and call him a coward for refusing to debate her one on one -- wanting to hide behind Stein and Johnson. Which I think could work too.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    No one likes a coward, that includes Republicans.

Watching CNN live from the CNN grill is weird. Wolf Blitzer partying in the crowd and Brianna Keeler leading Sweet Caroline

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree; Trump has often been able to "hide" among the field in the primaries. And when he got attacked he usually reacted by constantly interrupting and shouting down his opponent until the moderators moved on. In the last couple debates, his opponents caught on and tried to put him under constant pressure, shouting louder over his objections, but that usually dragged the debate through the mud and ended with no one looking good. And when all else fails, he'd reach for his unending bag of lies and bullcrap and just lie his way through the attack. In a 1v1, I think Trump will be thoroughly exposed against Clinton. Relentless interrupting won't look good, trying to match Clinton on policy would be disastrous, and bullcrapping will only go so far.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There's a potential minefield out there for Hillary too. She's a preparer, but there's no way to fully prepare for unpredictable Trump. She is a target rich environment and she doesn't play good defense. She had a tortured way of dealing with Bernie's Wall Street speeches attacks. She had trouble dealing with her email scandal detractors. She had major trouble in '08 rationalizing the Iraq vote.

Trump has a way of taking a kernel of truth and mixing it with a heavy dose of conspiracy and innuendo so the average uninformed viewer has no idea where to draw the line. She has a tendency to get bogged down in long winded wishy washy explanations. Once you oblige Donald by giving a serious answer to an unserious question, you've already lost. The key for her is to defend by attacking. She needs to transition from every Trump attack into an immediate counter attack.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If you missed it:

mbar repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This happened yesterday when he was talking about Hillary's relationship with Terry McAuliffe. They're obviously close, but Trump took that fact and insinuated that there was some sort of affair going on by saying something like, "she's closer to him than she is to her husband."

10. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    question for US citizens - we will see debate one on one soon? or know debate at all between them?

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There are three debates scheduled (not including the VP debate). There is still a long way to go.

RaMaaa repped this.
  12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    [​IMG]

Remember when Trump was bragging about how he can't wait until he can focus on Hillary after dispatching Cruz et al? How he was going to hit her like she's never been hit before?

"But, she's been constantly attacked for 25 years. What else is there to attack?"

"Believe me. I'm gonna hit her so hard your head will spin. She's never been vetted. Never been vetted."

His "attacks" have been based on emails, Benghazi, and a breitbart's "Clinton Cash".

Ooooooooh, aaaaaaaah.

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sept. 26th
    Oct. 9th
    Oct. 19th

Vice-presidential debate: Oct.4

Thank you for your interest in our election. Many Americans factor in the global ramifications of our decision. It sucks that the most important election on the planet, only 130 million ppl get to/end up voting.

raza_rebel repped this.
  14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That VP debate might be the only real debate. The 0thers, if they happen, will be "debates".

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You missed it if you were watching Fox News. I am not kidding.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Ezra!!!

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/28/12281222/trump-clinton-conventions
    i operate under the assumption that Trump is going to get more and more unbalanced under the strain. So he is going to give Republicans more and more chances to get off the crazy train. It'll be interesting how that plays out.

Boloni86, Minnman and dapip repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, all she'd have to do is agree publicly to a four-way debate and then drag her feet in back-stage negotiations ensuring that Johnson and Stein don't actually get on the stage. All the while publicly decrying Trump for not agreeing to debate rules.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until China becomes the superpower, a few hundred people elect their P.M.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Sept & October are the dates

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...16-general-election-debate-schedule/81238502/

First presidential debate: Monday, Sept. 26, 2016, at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y.

Second presidential debate: Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016, at Washington University in St. Louis (Town hall)

Third presidential debate: Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016 at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    At some point, I think he'll get desperate. It if it weren't for the Comey presser, Hillary would have a 6 point lead, while waiting for her convention bounce to set in.

As it is, I suspect she'll climb to a 6 point lead within a month

Boloni86 repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wait?

I thought we were losing to China all the time.

uclacarlos repped this.
  22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You forgot liability insurance. But yeah.

dapip and uclacarlos repped this.
  23. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well they have taken our spot as worlds most annoying tourists.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I didn't even know who she was (I asked my son who is the woman with crazy eyes) and I couldn't understand a word of the song she sang. For me, it completely killed the momentum of the show. I guess I'm not the demographic they were going for with her.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No environmental regulations...