Phillip Ejimadu in Brazil

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by ChuckMe92, Mar 16, 2018.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 ChuckMe92, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    A goalkeeper called up to the US U20s for the first time:
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ain-for-matches-vs-france-and-atletico-madrid
    GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Phillip Ejimadu (Nacional Atlético Clube; Minneapolis, Minn.), Brady Scott (FC Köln; Petaluma, Calif.)​

Phillip plays for Nacional Atlético Clube (also known as Nacional-SP) in São Paulo, in Paulista Série A3. Here's a Google-translated article from their site about the callup. He is currently a member of their first team:
    http://nacionalacsp.com.br/2018/03/...se-integrar-a-selecao-norte-americana-sub-20/
    Phillip Ejimadu, 18, one of the highlights of the 2018 São Paulo Cup, has been called up to join the United States Under 20 squad, which will play friendly matches in Alicante, Spain, March 17-28. Phillip arrived at Nacional in 2013. At the time, he was under 13, but worked for the under 15 category, after being approved in the sieve of the Club. Currently, he is part of the professional team. Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the keeper is the son of a Nigerian father and a Brazilian mother, and came to Brazil at the age of seven. Still in the state of origin he has played football since he was 4 years old. "Since I did not have American football in Brazil, I ended up playing Brazilian football," said the athlete.

Excited and surprised by the call, Phillip said: "I thank God for the opportunity I am having to defend my national team. They saw me playing for the 2018 São Paulo Cup. Unfortunately the Naça team did not go well, but I was one of the highlights of the team and the Club ended up receiving a letter from the American team requesting me to introduce myself in order to play some friendlies in the Spain. I was surprised, because initially I was the last goalkeeper of the sub 20 and I ended up becoming a starter and I was able to show my work in the Cup."​

His goalkeeping idol is Magrão, who started out at Nacional Atlético Clube and now plays for Sport Recife. Phillip's dream is to represent the USMNT in a World Cup, and even roots for the US over Brazil. Below is a Google translation of the article:
    https://www.pe.superesportes.com.br...m-uma-copa-e-se-inspira-no-idolo-magrao.shtml
    Young American goalkeeper dreams to defend USA in a World Cup and is inspired by idol Magrão

São Paulo - The World Cup usually narrows the border. Whatever they are. As unlikely as they are. After all, what connection would the goalkeeper of Sport Recife, Magrão, have with the United States team? None, none at all. But then came the World Cup. And thanks to him, Magrão can meet the young Phillip Ejimadu, 14 years old. Son of a Brazilian mother and American father. Born in the state of Minnesota and dreaming of defending the United States in a World Cup. As goalkeeper. Position of his idol.​

Phillip's admiration for Magrão comes from stories he hears in the National-SP, currently in the fourth division of São Paulo football, where he coaches in the under-15 team's goal. And where Magrão started his career. On Friday, the young American crossed the street that separates the headquarters of Nacional from the training center of Sao Paulo, where the United States team trained for the Sunday showdown against Portugal. The dream is one day to be on the other side of the gate. And for that, Phillip already has his reference.​

"In Nacional there are several photos of Magrão. Everyone speaks very well of him. They say he is a reference. I try to see his games on television and I look at him. I try to be what he is. A safe, quiet keeper. Work hard for it. My intention is to make my base here in Brazil and then come back to play for the United States. I want to play in a World Cup for the country. Maybe the next one," dreams Phillip, who after seven years of age came to live in Brazil with his family, which does not diminish his patriotism. "I am a supporter of the United States, even against Brazil," confesses the boy.​

Phillip's dream of defending the U.S. team at a World Cup and the boy's admiration for Magrão are shared by his mother, Selma Ejimadu, who is married to an American and has two other children also born in the United States. "I lived in the United States for ten years. Back home, I only pray for Brazil in the World Cup, "he said. "He always talks a lot about Magrão. It's an idol. Who knows, Magrão does not read this matter and calls him for a test in Sport, "said Mrs. Selma.​

Phillip and his Brazilian mother Selma:
    [​IMG]

His OGOL profile refers to him simply as "Phillip":
    http://www.ogol.com.br/player.php?id=586577
    [​IMG]
    DOB: 8/31/1999
    Height: 188 cm (6-foot-2)
    Weight: 80 kg (176 pounds)

Some highlights:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/phillip_ejimadu/

2. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    974742063609778176 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

ChuckMe92 and sakibomb523 repped this.
  4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Winoman repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the LAFC press release on their 2020 contract option decisions:

"(T)he loan agreement for goalkeeper Phillip Ejimadu has expired, and Ejimadu will return to Nacional Atlético Clube."

Ejimadu did not play for LAFC during 2019. He did make 15 starts in goal on loan with FC Tuscon in USL League One.

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's back with LAFC in preseason.

autobus39 and UniversalAdvice repped this.