Philippines Football Thread II[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #501 Pelefan, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Playing Vietnam is not going to be easy. Many of the players from Vietnam's young squad has gained a lot of experience making it to the final of the AFC U23 Championship and the semifinals of the Asian Games(also U23) this year.

Vietnam's coach Park Hang Seo is no slouch either helping guide the U23 Vietnam team to their best ever finishes this year and serving as assistant coach to Guus Hiddink during the 2002 World Cup when South Korea finished 4th.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Strauss has also been called up by his club in Germany paring the roster down to 19 after the departure of Etheridge and Sato also due to club commitments and Woodland to injury.

3. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    News is that Phil Younghusband is okay for the game on Sunday. Bloodied head injury required an early sub in the game against Indonesia, and then four stitches.

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  5. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Azkals need a win by a 2-goal margin or scores of 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc. or 2-1 score to force extra time and maybe penalty kicks. A 1-0 score is not enough to advance.

mike4066 repped this.
  6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #506 Pelefan, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    FT 2nd leg Vietnam 2-1 Philippines agg 4-2

The loss of key players Etheridge, Sato, Strauss, Palla, Woodridge due to club commitments and injury, most of whom were starters just before the semifinals, handicapped them a lot when facing Vietnam, a young team that finished runner up in AFC U23 Asian Championships and the semifinals of the Asian Games this year. The good news is that all of these players will probably be available for the Asian Cup in January.

Vietnam lived up to its FIFA rankings as the highest rated team in the ASEAN region and will now face suprising Malaysia in the finals where they will be favored to win it all.

As for the Azkals, The Suzuki Cup served its purpose as a preparatory tournament to the Asian Cup. I believe they will have a few more friendlies lined up including if I remember reading it right a few weeks ago, possibly a rematch against Vietnam just before the tournament.

7. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    First, who the hell is "Woodridge"?! lolol

Second, blame needs to got to certain people. One of them is the team manager himself! He said prior to the start of the tourmanent that the likes of Sato and Strauss would be available for the entire tournament. Look at how that turned out!

Blame also needs to go to Cooper and even Greatwich. Whatever they've been advising Eriksson has been quite poor. Both in terms of tactics and squad selection. Even before the final 23 were announced, just by looking at the pool of 26 or 27 it didn't look that exciting at least defensively.

During the tournament, there was too much experimenting, multiple players playing multiple positions using differing systems. How do expect to get any consistency from that? The worst for me is the continued use of Steuble as a defender, especially at RB. Absolute cringe!

Third, you say that the Suzuki Cup served it's purpose as prep for the Asian Cup. Ya, try telling that to the players especially to a fired up and pissed off Reichelt!

Also try telling that to the big headed team manager! Before the tournament he was making noises about how it's paramount the Philippines won the Suzuki Cup and worst of all, about him saying it's time that they show themselves as champions of Southeast Asia. He's one of the problems. He's the one creating unnecessary hype and unrealistic expectations. As I pointed out in my second point, he's one to blame big time! There was barely anything to suggest that the Philippines could go all way and win it.

This is hilariously ironic. You say it's good news but then say "probably" which shows you're not sure which quashes it supposedly being good news! :ROFLMAO:

8. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
  9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    mike4066 repped this.
  10. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #510 Beavis Stiffler, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Man I wish the Asian Cup should be in the FIFA International break so all teams can have their best players but unfortunately it’s not. :(
    The AFC and FIFA needs to address this ASAP and hope it gets resolved for future Asian Cup tournaments.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't they hold it in the summer like everyone else?

12. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Continental championships are part of FIFA's international calendar. Clubs are obliged to release players regardless of when the tournament is held. Nothing needs to be addressed about that.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It looks like Etheridge won't be available the entire Asian Cup tournament.

www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/football/219793-philippine-azkals-lineup-afc-asian-cup-2019

I am starting to dislike the Malaysian owner of Cardiff City. Ever since he had that dinner with Etheridge at the Suzuki Cup, Etheridge has excused himself from playing for the Azkals. I bet if Etheridge played for Malaysia instead of the Philippines, they would have excused him for the Asian Cup.

14. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    What the hell are you on?! You make it seem like Etheridge has missed a host international windows/tournaments. Unless you have proof, you're just speculation and jumping to conclusions (perhaps as usual) that the owner is the one holding him back as far as the Asian Cup is concerned.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Of course I am speculating and it is probably not just the owner who is pressuring him to abandon his international commitments. Right after Neil had that dinner with the owner in the middle of the Suzuki Cup, he excused himself from playing the last 2 games of the group stage of the tourament even though the 2nd one was still within the international window and he was still available to play.

Now he has been removed from the roster in the Asian Games, a continental championship tournament where FIFA requires clubs to release their players.

Neil has been quoted many times ever since the Philippines qualified for the Asian Games how much he is looking forward to playing in the Asian Games.

In fact, he was in tears during the final qualifying match saying how much he was dreaming about this ever since he started playing for the Philippines at 18y/o.

Now the Asian Games is here and he will not be available to play the biggest tournament in Asia.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    27 December 2018
    Philippines Squad For AFC Asian Cup Announced

The Philippine Men’s National Team set their sights for the biggest tournament they will participate in to date, the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019.
    Facing Korea Republic, China PR, and Kyrgyz Republic, the Azkals find themselves in a challenging group with an opportunity to be one of the 16 teams to advance to the knockout stages.
    In preparation for Asia’s showpiece tournament, the Philippines MNT will conduct a training camp in Doha, Qatar. The team will also have a FIFA International Friendly Match against newly crowned Suzuki Cup champions Vietnam on 31 December 2018.
    The team will proceed to Dubai, United Arab Emirates on 3 January 2019 on time before the first match against Korea Republic on 7 January 2019.
    Majority of the team were part of the Suzuki Cup squad. Kevin Hansen, who plays goalkeeper for Danish side AC Horsens, is the newest addition to the team. Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will miss the tournament.
    Newly signed Ceres Negros FC midfielder Miguel Tanton returns to the squad having suited up for the Philippines in the 3-2 win over DPR Korea last March 2016. Javier Patiño is also back after missing the recent Suzuki Cup with an injury.
    The head coach is Sven-Goran Eriksson who will be assisted by Scott Cooper, Christopher Greatwich, and Stefano Marsella.
    23 players compose the Philippines squad for the AFC Asian Cup.
    Players:
    1. Michael FALKESGAARD – Goalkeeper
    2. Kevin Ray HANSEN – Goalkeeper
    3. Nathanael Ace VILLANUEVA – Goalkeeper
    4. Carlos DE MURGA – Defender
    5. Stephan PALLA – Defender
    6. Daisuke SATO – Defender
    7. Alvaro SILVA – Defender
    8. Adam TULL – Midfielder
    9. Luke WOODLAND – Defender
    10. Kevin INGRESO – Midfielder
    11. Paul MULDERS – Midfielder
    12. Manuel OTT – Midfielder
    13. Mike Rigoberto OTT – Midfielder
    14. Stephan SCHROCK – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    15. John-Patrick STRAUSS – Midfielder
    16. Miguel Javier TANTON – Midfielder
    17. James YOUNGHUSBAND – Midfielder
    18. Jovin BEDIC – Forward
    19. Curt DIZON – Forward
    20. Javier PATIÑO – Forward
    21. Iain RAMSAY – Forward
    22. Patrick REICHELT – Forward
    23. Philip YOUNGHUSBAND – Forward
    http://pff.org.ph/2018/12/27/philippines-squad-for-afc-asian-cup-announced/

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Etheridge MotM today. While I wish he was with the Azkals I see now why he chose to stay, I bet if they stay up this year he gets a big raise. Luckily we Falksegard and Mendoza now (didn't realize Muller retired from the Azkals).

18. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    All about priorities. Etheridge's is Cardiff. It's good to know that he acknowledges that it would be unfair if he went for only one game. It's either you commit for the entire campaign or don't bother at all.

As for the squad, it's quite disappointing. There was considerable hype when Butcher was appointed and that they wanted to put together the best team possible yet they end up with Eriksson with a half-assed squad.

Only four natural defenders and technically there is no RB. Mike4066 mentioned Muller being retired internationally. Mulders retired almost three years ago and it should've stayed that way yet they head into the Asian Cup with him now 37 and considered mainly as a CB! Then you got a few players like Bedic, Dizon and Tull who are out of their depth internationally. You'd have to say it's an absolute joke!

All of that has gone under the radar because all the hype/noise is going towards the team having a supposedly world class coach in Eriksson. But they've been playing dull and uninspiring football under his watch (not surprising in all honesty, perhaps even expected). Sure, he hasn't had much time with the team but you can say the same with Cooper yet shown more promise and it looked like he was going in the right direction in the two friendlies he was in charge of against much stronger opposition.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have Muller and Alvaro mixed up.

I am surprised about the lack of DF's though...do we play 3 backline?

Also, I am not sold on Eriksson. When he took over Mexico I was happy as hell cause I knew he wouldn't do shit and he proved me right. Still think they should have kept Dooley.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Philippine Azkals have arrived in Doha, Qatar to kick off the final stretch of their preparations for their historic debut in the AFC Asian Cup to be held in the United Arab Emirates starting January 7.

The Azkals face AFF Suzuki Cup tormentors Vietnam in a friendly on New Year's Eve as part of their preparations. The 23-man squad that will represent the country in its first-ever AFC Asian Cup appearance was revealed on December 27.

http://tv5.espn.com/story/_/id/25635768/azkals-arrive-doha-ahead-afc-asian-cup

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you planning on watching the Asian Cup? If so how?

22. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    No I didn't mix up anyone. You mentioned that you didn't realize Muller had retired internationally so I just restated it to transition into the point about Mulders retiring back in March 2016 and it should've stayed that way.

Cooper was using 3-5-2 which looked good. He was even using players as they should be. Most notable is Steuble as DLP and not as a RB which all started with Dooley. Although Cooper did use Mulders as a CB when Aguinaldo had to be withdrawn in the first half again Bahrain. So it looks like that idea came from him.

Eriksson on the other hand likes 4-4-2 and it's what he's been employing so far with the exception of the final leg against Vietnam where they played 3-4-3.

I don't know if you can tell from my post above but like you, I'm not sold on Eriksson either. Coaching a club vs a national team are two different animals. In terms of the latter he hasn't really done much. Even during his time with England, the football played drab and uninspiring despite the players he had at his disposal. It's the same now with the Philippines. As I've said, Cooper was already going in the right direction in the those two friendlies and now the team doesn't even look like they're progressing heading into the Asian Cup.

This is typical Palami. He just loves going for the spectacular even though it's not really what's needed. He went for Butcher but good thing he pulled out. Now he went for Eriksson and it looks like they're going backwards. If he was going to blow a huge sum to bring a big name coach, he should've tried Hiddink before China got to him for their youth team. If not, keeping Cooper would've been the better choice, both coaching and financial point of views.

About Dooley, the fact he was the one who guided the team to Asian Cup, he should've been kept. However, I'm personally glad he's been replaced. It was also getting really drab under his watch. Not to mention his falling out with certain players to the detriment of the team.

Although the question now is, what would be better? Drab football without certain players under Dooley or drab football with those players under Eriksson?

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #523 Pelefan, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    I am not sure how to get it in the US. The Foxsports and ESPN broadcast usually has regional restrictions that lead to blackout telecasts for North America in the past but since the Asian Cup is a major continental tournament it is possible they might telecast it on a secondary channel like ESPN plus.

If you are in Asia though here is an article on where to watch

29 December 2018
    Where to watch Philippines matches at AFC Asian Cup 2019?

Where to watch Philippines matches at AFC Asian Cup 2019?
    Fans who cannot make it to the stadium can rejoice as Fox Sports will be broadcasting the entire tournament.
    All of Philippines’ fixtures will be available live on ESPN 5 and Aksyon TV.
    The Azkals’ games will also be live streamed via ESPN 5’s YouTube channel.
    LIVE updates and scores for all of Philippines’ matches will be available on FOX Sports Asia.

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/footb...tream-start-time-when-and-where-to-watch-pdf/

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Etheridge was awarded Man of the Match honors in Cardiff City's 1-0 win over Leicester the other day, making seven saves in the process.

He leads the English Premier League in saves

Rank Player Club Nationality Stat
    1. Neil Etheridge Cardiff City Philippines 78
    2. Joe Hart Burnley England 77
    3. Lukasz Fabianski West Ham United Poland 75
    4. Alex McCarthy Southampton England 65
    5. David De Gea Manchester United Spain 64

and penalty saves

Rank Player Club Nationality Stat

1. Neil Etheridge Cardiff City Philippines 3

2. Jordan Pickford Everton England 2

3. Marcus Bettinelli - England 1