Philippines Football Thread II[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Pelefan, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #376 Pelefan, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    In football Alphonse Areola choose to play for France despite having both Filipino parents and strong links to the Philippines, because of the weakness of the national football team program. In basketball it is the opposite, Italian born and bred Stellazura Academy grad Dalph Panopio(also with both Filipino parents) who can speak fluent Tagalog choose to play for the Philippines despite being invited to play for the Italian national youth basketball teams.

The 6'1" point guard along with center 7'2" Kai Sotto and 6'11" U of Toledo center/ power forward AJ Edu, is leading the current national U18 youth basketball into the Asian Championships which will start in the few days, hoping to qualify for the U19 FIBA World Championships next year.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    04 August 2018
    Butchered plans for Azkals

It was over before it all even began. And now, the Philippine Azkals are left to pick up the pieces and move on.
    Sources said the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) and Azkals management are seriously considering Aris Caslib as a replacement for Terry Butcher, who abruptly quit his post as coach of the men’s national football team Friday, before he even handled a single game.
    Caslib was also the last Filipino coach to handle the Azkals in 2009 and is expected to be a transition mentor while team manager Dan Palami and the PFF come up with a short list of possible replacements for Butcher.

In the aftermath of the resignation, Palami said Scott Cooper would handle team preparations for upcoming tournaments, but Palami and the PFF will still have to look for a coach who will run the team during tournaments because Cooper doesn’t have the AFC equivalent of a pro license.

A source said the team is not expected to be disrupted too much in its preparations despite the resignation because Cooper was actually the initial choice for the Azkals top post.
    His lack of accreditation, though, paved the way for the hiring of former England skipper Butcher, who jolted the country early Friday by announcing his resignation.
    The 59-year-old, who was appointed in mid-June replacing Thomas Dooley, said in a statement: “The vital issue for myself was to carefully build a robust plan to meet the football ambitions of the national team.”
    “Regretfully, I’ve not been able to make this work in the way that I intended and I’ve decided not to continue in this role.”
    Butcher was expected to arrive in Manila next week to lay the groundwork of the Azkals’ preparations for the AFF Suzuki Cup in November and the AFC Asian Cup in January next year.
    “We understand and respect his decision,” Palami said. “But in Scott Cooper, we also have another brilliant football mind who can help us lay the groundwork in building a strong team for the next two tournaments.”
    Irishman Cooper will now temporarily take over the buildup of the team that starts with a camp in Bahrain on the first week of September.

Azkals manager Dan Palami expressed confidence that Cooper can whip the Azkals into form heading into the two major tournaments.

Read more: sports.inquirer.net/313681/breaking-butchered-plans#ixzz5NCihZdBd

3. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'm sorry guys. This seems eerily familiar to what Palestine went through at the last Asian Cup (I hope I'm wrong). The appointment of Butcher was very odd to begin with but regardless of who is at the helm it seems there is no plan to get the team ready to play China and Korea Republic who are top notch sides with a boat load of Asian Cup experience.

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Etheridge hoping to make history with City
    Excitement builds in South East Asia ahead of big kick-off...

With the Bluebirds opening their 2018/19 Premier League game at AFC Bournemouth on Saturday afternoon, Filipino international Neil Etheridge spoke of the pride he’ll be feeling to represent his country in front of the watching world.

Etheridge is set to become the first Filipino player to feature in England’s top flight – something that naturally excites the City shot-stopper.

“Hopefully if I step on the field next season, I’ll make history,” said Neil, with a proud smile. “I’m very proud to be Filipino and to represent the Philippines.”

[​IMG]

Having recorded an impressive 19 clean sheets for the Bluebirds during last season’s promotion-winning campaign, Etheridge hopes his success will serve as a springboard for football in the Philippines.

He continued: “It’s a developing country in terms of football; we’ve got other sports such as boxing and basketball that we’re competing against.

"Football only came on to the map in 2010, so it’s still a long way off where it could be and should be. It’ll take some time to get there.

“It’s obviously great that the Premier League is shown there and around the whole of Asia and it’s fantastic that people over there will be able to watch games on a regular basis.

“Hopefully there’ll be more Cardiff City fans over in South East Asia now, too. I’ve speaking to the family out there; they’re enjoying it and riding the wave.”

[​IMG]

And with Etheridge looking set to become the first Filipino international to feature in the Premier League, the City ‘keeper hopes that there’ll be many more Filipino players to follow in his footsteps.

“For me it’s always been about trying to promote football in the country,” Neil reflects.

“As an individual I can only take it so far, but I want to keep pushing so as to put the Philippines on the map.

“If we can start opening eyes and get Filipino people seeing that there is a way to come over and play in Europe, even though it’s on the other side of the world, then that would be great.”

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/etheridge-hoping-to-make-history-with-city/

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    If they do name a Filipino interim coach who is AFC licensed, he would likely not be the one making the tactical decisions or preparing the team during friendlies leading up to the Asian Cup, with Coach Cooper calling the shots behind the scenes. They have done this before when they had coaches who don't have the required AFC certification. From what I have read though, they are still searching for a more permanent replacement.

The Philippines have the luxury of competing in the AFF Championships in December one month prior to the Asian Cup, so this should give them enough time and tournament competition to prepare the team along with friendlies with other nations.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Etheridge: I'm proud to represent the Philippines

Cardiff City goalkeeper hopes his success can inspire Southeast Asians as he aims for historic PL debut

A lot has changed in the last year for Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge.

Last summer his contract at League One side Walsall expired.

It brought an end to his first spell of regular football in a career that included being released by Fulham without making a top-flight appearance.

But when Neil Warnock decided to bring Etheridge to Cardiff ahead of the 2017/18 season, he grabbed his chance with both hands.

Etheridge became a mainstay in a team that secured promotion to the Premier League.

Unforgettable year
    It was also an unforgettable year for his country, the Philippines. Etheridge, their most famous footballer, helped them qualify for the Asian Cup for the first time.

Etheridge can become the Premier League's first Filipino player, and in turn the first person from over 650 million people in Southeast Asia to play in the competition.

"I'm very proud to be Filipino - or half-Filipino, half-British - and to represent the Philippines," the 28 year-old says.

"It's a developing country in football. We've got other sports, such as boxing and basketball, that we're competing against.

"Football really only came on the map in 2010. It's still a long way off where it could be and should be, in comparison to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. But it will take time to get there."

Bournemouth bow?
    Etheridge, could make his PL debut when Cardiff visit AFC Bournemouth on 11 August and he hopes his success can inspire other Filipinos to follow in his footsteps.

"Speaking to the family, they're enjoying it, riding the wave," Etheridge adds.

"As an individual, I can only take it so far but I really want to keep pushing and really start to put the Philippines on the map.

"The Philippines is very largely populated. If we can start really opening their eyes and maybe seeing that there's a way of coming over to Europe and playing, even though it's on the other side of the world."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/794448

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Philippines goalkeeper Neil Etheridge blazing a trail for South East Asia in the Premier League

When Cardiff City kick off their return to the Premier League at Bournemouth's Dean Court on Saturday afternoon, Neil Etheridge will be making history when he takes his position between the posts for Neil Warnock's side.

The 28-year-old Philippines goalkeeper will become the first player from South East Asia -- a region fanatical about English football -- to feature in the Premier League as England's top flight adds another nationality to its ever-growing list of international participants.

"Well I've got to step on the field first, but if that happens then I'll be the first Filipino and the first South East Asian to play in the Premier League and that will be a massive thing for myself, my family and the people around me," Etheridge told ESPN FC.

"But also, hopefully, it will serve as a good platform for people to see that if I can do it then hopefully we can push other South East Asian players to see that there's a big world out there outside of Asia. It's very exciting."

Born in London, Etheridge qualifies for the Philippines through his mother and, after playing for England at under 16 level, the imposing goalkeeper pledged his international future to the Azkals a decade ago.

In that period Etheridge has played more than 50 times for the Philippines, with the highlight coming earlier this year when he helped the country qualify for the finals of the Asian Cup -- the quadrennial continental championship -- for the first time.

Now, after a journey that has taken him from Chelsea and Fulham, where he started his career at academy level, through the likes of Oldham and Charlton, Etheridge is ready for another first as he prepares for his Premier League debut.

Etheridge was a key component for Warnock's promotion winners and he's hopeful his climb to the summit of the English game will play a role in boosting the popularity of football in the Philippines, where basketball is the sport of choice.

"The Philippines is not a footballing country, and that is what it is unfortunately, but there have been a lot of people there who have done a lot of work to help me and support me and there has been a great response," he said of the reaction to his impending Premier League debut.

"The Premier League is a massive league to play in and so it's obviously going to have a positive effect and hopefully I can help improve the game's status in the Philippines. What I hope is that we'll see more young kids wanting to play for the national team."

Survival will be the order of the day for Cardiff this season after they secured promotion on the final day of last season with a second place finish in the Championship behind Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Saturday's opponents Bournemouth serve as the perfect example of what can be achieved by teams who are able to establish themselves in the division after promotion.

"The Premier League is the Premier League," said Etheridge. "I had my first season in the Championship last year and you look around and you think: 'There's no easy games here.' But you get to the Premier League and you think: 'There's definitely no easy games here!'

"Bournemouth's a nice game to start with. They've been in the Premier League for a few years now and are a good example to follow, but we're looking to get points on the board, of course.

"There's no doubt about it, our objective this season is survival and staying in the Premier League to secure ourselves for next season and for any team that's come up from the Championship, every single team will be looking to do the same.

"It will be a good game, we're away from home and then we're back to face Newcastle United at the Cardiff City Stadium so it's very interesting times ahead."

The meeting with Rafael Benitez's side on the second Saturday of the campaign could see Etheridge face off against two fellow Asian players Yoshinori Muto, of Japan, and South Korea's Ki Sung-Yueng.

"The Premier League has so many different nationalities in it," he said. "It's crazy and it's fantastic for football all around the world to be honest. It's a great level to be playing at. It's the most watched league in the world, so to have the opportunity to play and be involved at this level is fantastic for me and I'm looking forward to the season."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/foo...ail-for-south-east-asia-in-the-premier-league

8. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Dude, Neil has had a dream start so far...too bad can't say much for his team and its ability to create any danger in the PL, yikes.

9. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Umm I just play FIFA repped this.
  11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #386 Pelefan, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Neil was given a pretty high rating among the man of the match performances in the Premier League for that day in this site.

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/...urdays-man-of-the-match-performances-assessed

Cardiff 0-0 Newcastle: Neil Etheridge - 8.41

Many felt that Cardiff would struggle this season having not replaced a number of players lacking in top-flight experience over the summer, starting in goal with Etheridge. The 28-year-old has silenced any doubters to now, however, becoming only the second goalkeeper ever to save penalties in his first two Premier League appearances. The latest, against Newcastle’s Kennedy, came in the 95th minute to earn his side a point and was his sixth stop of the match.

Just 2 games in and it is nice to see Neil is already breaking records in the Premier League.

12. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It'll be really real if FIFA 18 Ultimate Team gives him an "in-form" card for being a top performer this week. ;)

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Another clean sheet for Neil in Cardiff's 0-0 draw with Huddersfield.

15. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Geeze the only way this Cardiff team will get 3 points in this league is if they added subtraction to the game.

mike4066 and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  16. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Much like the Philippines national team in next year’s Asian Cup, unfortunately. Poor Neil, he has to deal with it for the majority of the season in both the domestic league and international level.

Cardiff City in Premier League 2018-19 = Philippines national team in 2019 Asian Cup :eek:

17. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Most likely, but I think with Internationals, with a lot less preparation time for everyone involved, there's a lot more chance to "sneak" or "creep through" on things. Least I hope so. Just by virtue of not only playing but starting in the PL, would he not be one of the most visible if not most tested GK's in the tourney? Maybe he can "Keylor Navas" the Azkals to something.

Interesting and good point though, I guess all this sub-standard quality around him has made him a tough keeper.

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Scott Cooper was officially named as coach of the Philippine Azkals more than three weeks after former England captain Terry Butcher relinquished the post without even handling the national squad for at least one match.
    Originally hired as a senior adviser for Butcher, the Irish-born Cooper will now carry the responsibility of steering the Azkals to greater success especially with the AFF Suzuki Cup set in November and their maiden appearance in the Asian Cup slated in early-January.
    “The qualification for the Asian Cup was a great feat and you have to give plaudits to the coach at the time and the players that accomplished that,” Cooper said in an interview with CNN Philippines on Wednesday.
    “Potentially, I’ve always admired a lot of the Filipino players. For me, this is a team that’s got a lot of potential and a lot of opportunity to maybe go a step or two if the right steps are produced,” Cooper added.

tempo.com.ph/2018/08/31/cooper-named-azkals-coach/

Umm I just play FIFA and mike4066 repped this.
  19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Scott Cooper is optimistic with what he sees in the Philippine Azkals.

The national squad's coach said the team has the right tools to become a global football power only if they are developed properly.

"I've always admired the Filipino players. It's a team that's got a lot of potential and opportunity to go a step or two further if the right steps are produced," Cooper told CNN Philippines Sports Desk.

He added that he is already familiar with some of the players after seeing them play in a few tournaments.

"I've seen many of them play live and I've done a lot of research on the rest of them."

The veteran Irish coach started his career in 2000 with English football team Chester City and has traveled across the world to hone his skills at the sideline.

Asked what he will bring to the table, Cooper said he will instill strategies that he thinks will fit the team.

"Possession-based football, some high pressing, and set piece orientation."

The Philippines will begin to train next month for the 2018 ASEAN Football Federation Suzuki Cup happening on November and the 2019 AFC Asian Cup slated on January in United Arab Emirates.

http://cnnphilippines.com/sports/20...pine-Azkals-AFF-Suzuki-Cup-AFC-Asian-Cup.html

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Thomas Dooley wants USMNT. Interview with the hero of Usa ’94

Thomas Dooley is an icon of North American soccer. As a player he took part in two world championships with the USMNT, of which he was also captain, and in Germany he won a Bundesliga, a League Cup, a Super Cup and a UEFA Cup. After being assistant to Jürgen Klinsmann with The Yanks, Dooley led the Philippine National Team to qualify for the Asian Cup 2019. In this interview the hero of Usa ’94 spoke about his future, his career, MLS, USMNT and football development in Asia.

Who would you like to be USMNT coach?

Thomas Dooley.

You have been leading the Philippines team (Azkals) for years, managing to qualify for the continental cup. How do you consider this experience?

I am happy that the players were listen to me and believed in what I said. Focusing on the right things than we will be successful. We broke 11 records, we had a great WC qualification with 3 victories and a tie. We qualified unbeaten for Asian Cup Qualification. The experience was amazing from having 8 GK coaches in 4 years, 6 assistant coaches and no assistant coach in the last 2 years. Still we managed to be successful. I could write a book about it.

The Philippines are many historically linked to the US. Could partnerships be created to bring young Filipino soccer players to the United States?

There are already millions of filipinos in the US. I am starting my academy here in the Philippines and develop players for the big achievement in 2026.

Do you think that among the players you have trained in the Philippines there is someone ready for Europe or for MLS?

We have now some players playing in Europe first divisions. Neil Etheridge playing now in the Premier League. I told him he need to be focus on playing instead sitting in the premiership team on the bank. If he thinks he is a Premiership player , show it in a lower league and you will be gone in no time. Some maybe have a chance. Sato is playing in Romania, some others are playing in Thailand or Malaysia. Their leagues are much stronger than our here.

Why are you no longer the national coach of Philippines? Would not it be better for the Federation to face the next competitions with you in command?

That is a good question. I don’t really know what happen. Strange was the question right after my contract ended if I would bring Stephan Schröck back into the national team!!!! I said no I don’t see why I should bring im in. He doesn’t follow the instructions, I play’s what an whenever he wants and we never had a great or successful game with him. ln the camps where he was there we had a negative camp. I ask the federation, give me one game in the last 4 years, where we were successful when he was a part of it. They couldn’t name one. He is favorite in the media and with the fans. I think that was the reason why they didn’t want to continue. That is ok if one door closes two other will open. You don’t need to best players, you need the best TEAM to win championships.

What are your future projects?

Looking for a team. A team where I can bring my knowledge and experience to build another successful group.

Also will start a Philippine Football Academy where we will develop Philippine football players…Dream is World Cup qualification 2026.

www.mlssocceritalia.com/thomas-dooley-wants-usmnt-interview-with-the-hero-of-usa-94/

I hope the Philippine Football Academy comes to fruition. Thomas has a long successful history of developing young footballers in the US. He would be a great asset for our country if he does the same for our young footballers.

21. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Interesting about Schrocky. Oh well.

Also...I ran across this today.

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/cardiff-keeper-etheridge-potm-award/

Pelefan repped this.
  22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #398 Pelefan, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #399 Pelefan, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    jonny posted this on his website:

03 September 2018
    Azkals squad going to Bahrain camp . Stephan Schröck is back !
    Azkals left on Monday to Bahrain for training camp and friendly against Bahrain on 6. September.

PFF has not released any official roster , but based on various sources this is part of the squad :

Foreign based players :

Neil Etheridge (Cardiff , England)
    Daisuke Sato (Sepsi Sfantu Gheorghe ,Romania)
    Hikaru Minegishi (Pattaya United, Thailand)
    Amin Nazari (Mariehamn , Finland)
    Luke Woodland (Suphanburi, Thailand)
    Alvaro Silva (Kedah , Malaysia)
    John Patrick Strauss (Fc Erzgebirge Aue from Bundesliga 2 , Germany)

Philippines based players :

Dylan De Bruycker (Davao Aguilas)
    Adam Reed (Tull) (Davao Aguilas)
    Manny Ott (Ceres-Negros)
    Stephan Schröck (Ceres-Negros)
    Junior Munoz (Ceres-Negros)

To be updated.

filipinofootball.blogspot.com/2018/09/azkals-squad-going-to-bahrain-camp.html

New players are Amin Nazari, and John Patrick Strauss

The new coach Scott Cooper has decided to bring back Stephan Schröck and Alvaro Silva who both fell out of consideration under former Coach Dooley.

Gerrit Holtmann who plays for HSV Mainz 05 at the Bundesliga has declined the invitation to join the Azkals at this time saying he wanted to concentrate on his pro career.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Suzuki Cup and Asian Cup Preparations Begin with Bahrain Friendly
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The campaign for the AFF Suzuki Cup 2018 and the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 begins this month as the Philippines Men’s National Team face Bahrain in a FIFA International Friendly Match scheduled on Thursday 6 September 2018 at the Bahrain National Stadium in Riffa, Bahrain.

The team is led by new head coach Scott Cooper, who hails from England and had prior coaching stints in Thailand and Indonesia. He is assisted by Chris Greatwich and Steve Marsella.

Midfielder Stephan Schrock returns to the squad. Defender Amani Aguinaldo and midfielder Luke Woodland also make their national team return after injury.

Angel Guirado was also called up to the squad. The midfielder was part of the team that participated in the CTFA International Tournament last December 2017. Ceres Negros FC forward Curt Dizon is also included in the squad.

The first batch of the team left for Bahrain last Monday 3 September 2018 with the rest of the squad to follow.

Squad:

Neil Leonard ETHERIDGE – Goalkeeper – Cardiff City FC (England)
    Amani AGUINALDO – Defender – Ceres Negros FC
    Carlos DE MURGA – Defender – Ceres Negros FC
    Junior MUÑOZ – Defender – Ceres Negros FC
    Daisuke SATO – Defender – Sepsi Sfantu Gheorghe (Romania)
    Hikaru MINEGISHI – Midfielder – Pattaya United (Thailand)
    Paul MULDERS – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    Manuel OTT – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    Mike Rigoberto OTT – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    Patrick REICHELT – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    Adam TULL – Midfielder – Davao Aguilas FC
    Dylan DE BRUYCKER – Midfielder – Davao Aguilas FC
    Stephan SCHROCK – Midfielder – Ceres Negros FC
    Luke WOODLAND – Midfielder – Suphanburi FC (Thailand)
    Curt Jordan DIZON – Forward – Ceres Negros FC
    Angel GUIRADO – Forward – Negiri Sembilan FA (Malaysia)
    Philip James YOUNGHUSBAND – Forward – Davao Aguilas FC
    Patrick DEYTO – Goalkeeper – Davao Aguilas FC
    Louie Michael CASAS – Goalkeeper – Global Cebu FC
    Nathanael Ace VILLANUEVA – Goalkeeper – Kaya FC Iloilo
    Stephan PALLA – Defender
    Fitch ARBOLEDA – Forward – Stallion Laguna FC
    Jovin BEDIC – Forward – Kaya FC Iloilo

pff.org.ph/2018/09/04/suzuki-cup-and-asian-cup-preparations-begins-with-bahrain-friendly/

Umm I just play FIFA repped this.