Philippe Sandler at NEC Nijmegen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. According to this article Philip Sandler has an American mother.
    Dunno if that qualifies him as a Yank.
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190708_04499616
    Nederlandse verdediger Philippe Sandler wordt jaar gehuurd van Manchester City

Anderlecht haalt nieuwe Virgil van Dijk
    08/07/2019 om 07:55 door JÜRGEN GERIL - Print - Corrigeer

[​IMG]
    Enter Sandman. Anderlecht verwelkomt Philippe Sandler (22), een 1.90 meter grote, maar goed voetballende verdediger die voor één seizoen gehuurd wordt van Man City. The Citizens betaalden in 2018 nog 3 miljoen voor de Nederlander die vergeleken wordt met Virgil van Dijk. In Manchester speelde hij amper, maar Kompany heeft een boontje voor hem.

Op 19 mei tweette Philippe Sandler nog een foto van hemzelf en de afscheidnemende Vincent Kompany bij Manchester City. “Ik kon me geen betere mentor voorstellen”, schreef hij toen. Twee maanden later is Sandler na Michel Vlap en Samir Nasri de derde transfer van Kompany bij Anderlecht.

Zijn verhaal leest als een jongensboek. Als zoon van een Zuid-Afrikaanse vader en Amerikaanse moeder groeide hij op in Amsterdam waar zijn vader bij het financiële topbedrijf Deloitte werkte. Philippe zelf voetbalde bij de jeugd van Ajax, maar daar brak hij niet door. Daarom tekende hij in 2016 voor subtopper PEC Zwolle. “Een fysiek stevige verdediger, sterk in de duels en een goeie trap in zijn voet”, zo omschreef PEC-coach Ron Jans hem.

Lof van Guardiola

Anderlecht fetches new Virgil van Dijk

Anderlecht welcomes Philippe Sandler (22), a 1.90 meter tall but well-playing defender who is rented from Man City for one season. The Citizens paid another 3 million euros in 2018 for the Dutchman compared to Virgil van Dijk. He barely played in Manchester, but Kompany has a bean for him.

On May 19, Philippe Sandler tweeted another photo of himself and the farewell Vincent Kompany at Manchester City. "I couldn't imagine a better mentor," he wrote then. Two months later, Sandler is the third transfer from Kompany at Anderlecht after Michel Vlap and Samir Nasri.

His story reads like a boy's book. As the son of a South African father and American mother, he grew up in Amsterdam where his father worked at the top financial company Deloitte. Philippe himself played football with the youth of Ajax, but he did not break through. That is why he signed for sub-topper PEC Zwolle in 2016. "A physically strong defender, strong in duels and a good kick in his foot," PEC coach Ron Jans described him.

Praise from Guardiola

2. Oh, MOD. I spelled his name wrong in the title. It should be Philippe

Winoman repped this.
  3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Dutch U-20 player who played in just two cup matches last year, but a full slate in the Eredivisie the year before. So, he has to prove he's good enough to get a look from us (probably) but not get good enough to get a look from the Oranje ... tough needle to thread, but it's a nice daydream for today at least. Good luck at Anderlecht nevertheless.

SCSAutism and edcrocker repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #4 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Nice find -- thanks. He is the youngest of three brothers, though apparently the only one who plays high-level soccer. Evidently Mr. Sandler (he's easy enough to find online) met his future wife in LA and away they went, so to speak. Here's an older story with a bit more info.

https://www.destentor.nl/pec-zwolle...ec~aafd5eb0/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

And, for the record, he's a '97, so theoretically Olympic/U23-eligible.

5. Oh dear.
    Google translate goes MO ridiculous translation again. I put a part of the Stentor article in Google translate and what comes up with gives 100% opposite impression from what was said by Philippe.
    Dutch txt:
    Voor Philippe zagen Michael en Daniel al het levenslicht. Op zijn zesde verhuisde het gezin van Oud-West naar Oud-Zuid in de hoofdstad. ,,Een kakkerbuurt,” weet Sandler. ,,Maar ik ben geen kakker.”

Google translate:
    Michael and Daniel saw the light of day before Philippe. At the age of six, the family moved from Oud-West to Oud-Zuid in the capital. "A cockroach neighborhood," Sandler knows. "But I'm not a bastard."

Should be like this:
    Already before Philippe, Michael and Daniel saw the light of life (= were born).
    At the age of six, the family moved from Oud-West to Oud-Zuid in the capital. "A posh/up town neighborhood," Sandler knows. "But I'm not like an uptown boy."

dark knight, Gacm32, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yeah, there's a reason I didn't post the the Google translation -- I don't know Dutch, but I figured I was missing something... ;)

Winoman repped this.
  7. That was because of his pre season serious knee injury.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    is he cap-tied?

9. Not for the Orange squad. He's only Uxx Orange player.

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Is that why he didn’t get minutes for City, or why he wasn’t loaned out to get minutes?

11. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    And from what I can find, just in a friendly tournament.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. He had to compete with Kik Pierie and Perr Schuurs, both very young already in their clubs first team and Perr even captain at 17 and PSV's Obispo and de Ligt.

13. Yup. His debut in the cup match in januari was just after he had completed his revalidation.
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../philippe-sandler-man-city-guardiola-15724108
    1. Home
    2. Sport
    3. Football
    4. Manchester City FC
    Pep Guardiola gives verdict on Man City's new defensive star Philippe Sandler

The Manchester City centre back made his first start for the club at Burton and impressed on a tricky pitch

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started next to Kompany today

[​IMG]

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1159945697120141312 is not a valid tweet id

edcrocker repped this.
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    @TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Here are some highlights...looks really agile and comfortable dribbling and passing out of the back. Looks like he’s played some defensive mid as well. Definitely one to watch, who knows if he has any interest in representing the U.S. though.

edcrocker repped this.
  18. That's an unknown, especially since he only was mentioned to be a probable Yank by me, thus under the radar for probing his interest. It's worthwhile for the USSF to probe his interest like they did with Kik Pierie.
    The number of high potential CD's for the Orange team ranging in age from 26 till 17 is ridiculous. So a potential appearance on a WC for the Orange squad as a CD is fiercely competed item.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  21. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  22. Is there any interest from the USSF in him after I pointed at his possible USA eligibility?

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1173383913877712897 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+