Philadelphia Union in the Media

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cpurdom, Aug 16, 2010.

1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you truly want to use a team that has "frontrunner" fans, It would be most of those JohnnyComeLately Pats fans. Some of those folks who wear Cowboys jerseys are just as dedicated (even more so) than all of those "Philly Tough" Eagles fans. I've been a Cowboys fan for almost 50 years. Through Super Bowls and 1-15's, not much like the folks who became Pats fans when they won a Super Bowl or two.

In MLS terms, I think it would have to be Seattle or Portland who are the frontrunner darlings.

2. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta will be up there with bandwagoners soon as well.

3. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too late to get on board, as they're not even finished hitchin' the horses up..............

4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    MLS doesn't have the media saturation to create anything like the Cowboys or Lakers or Yankees. That's why those types of fans look overseas. I mean, it makes sense. If you're not going to bother going to games in person, why would you choose LA/Atlanta/NYC on TV when you can watch UEFA just by changing the channel?

5. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm very much a "root for where you're from" kinda guy. Ill never support a la carte fandom and don't believe you can truly be a legit supporter of any team if you aren't from that place. I guess I want to ask "what are you actually rooting for?" If you're , for example, a Dallas fan who has lived his entire life in Philly. Don't you want to be a part of the atmosphere that your hometown team brings?

6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kindly get the ******** out. Unless you can provide me some legit connection you have to Dallas your team selection methods are utter dogshit.

But yeah, Kinkead is right... we're loyal to a fault... myself included.

buzzkiller23, CITY&UNION and ericlfd repped this.
  7. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, gentlemen, I grew up going to EVERY Eagles game. My family has been season ticket holders since the late '30's. I am a die hard Phillies fan, and casual Flyers and Sixers fan. Hell, I'm even a former Soul season ticket holder. Been a Union season ticket holder since day 1 and have been to EVERY home game from the start, plus many away games each season. I'm as big a Philly fan as anyone.

I grew up in the late '60's and early '70's when the Cowboys were on TV every week. I loved Roger Staubach, the uniforms, and pissing off my brothers and dad. I was 4. That's my connection and it's never wavered, which is by nature what Philly fans do.

I'll guarantee I've been to more Cowboy games in person than most Eagles fans have been to Eagles games, in spite of living in South Jersey my whole life. That allows me to connect with a culture even though I'm not a Texan. Truth is, there are a lot of people just like me, especially my age, and that too, allows me the tribalism you think I'm missing.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  8. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like you alot as a human but this made me vomit on my keyboard

9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late 60s, early 70s... when the cowboys were winning all of the time. An old school front runner is still a front runner.... I'm sure your response will be that you stuck by them when they sucked, but at that point you were in too deep to bail.

You were 4 you say, so I'll chalk it up to an awful naive childhood mistake you are too stubborn to admit was wrong. :)

10. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Having people explain why they support teams is the stupidest shit. You don't owe anyone an explanation for why you like what you like.

This is all entertainment, don't let some fans ruin what you like because they're too macho to admit that they are jealous of teams that win.

BuddhaWake, jaykoz3, aztec21bas and 2 others repped this.
  11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This-a thousand times this. You hit the nail on the head. If the majority of Birds fans are younger, this is what they can't understand in the information age. I'm trying to remember.......ABC/CBS/NBC, * I remember Facenda as my news anchor! There was PBS, and maybe a couple of UHF stations if you had an aerial. Wee Willie Weber ftw. That's all folks. The NFL was not king. Eagles games? Never saw one on TV that was a home game. Sometimes you could see them if they were playing at the Polo grounds-or whatever. For us poor kids, the only games we saw were from teams who played far away. NOBODY in my neighborhood was an Eagles fan. Vikings, Chiefs and Cowboys were what we knew. I loved Landry, Lilly, the innovation-hell; I even loved Duane Thomas! Bullet Bob and Bambi-those were my guys. Super Bowl VI is only time in 55 years on this planet that my team ever won the big one.

I walked away in the years that followed. The "Hollywood Henderson age" soured me on Dallas after that. I've never been to Texas, some my kids have-but I raised them to be mindful of their ancestors. My dad worked for the Flyers and Sixers, and so I grew up around them. He and his dad were baseball first-and lifelong devotees of the Phillies and A's. The Union is something I watch from a distance because of Pop's love of the game and the stories I grew up on as a kid.

NFL? Could take or leave. More of a college fan, I hope the Eagles figure it out one day, but
    W/L has never had the same effect on me. Dallas isn't anything different than any other team in the division. Just somebody you need to beat twice a year and then move on. The longer time goes on......the less I care about any of that. Good on you B to stick to your loyalties and nurture them.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You're a cowboys fan aren't you

Handsome Pete and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  13. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1863 aztec21bas, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Not stubborn and not wrong! Dare to be different!
    IMG_0583.JPG

14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Some would say worse, Ohio State. :whistling:

LuckyStriker repped this.
  15. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would.....but you attend.:D

16. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I personally developed a strong affinity for Leicester City in my early 30's. There's something very charming about the English Midlands, and I love Thai food so Leicester's ownership really synergizes with my own tastes. My love for Leicester doesn't really have anything to do with whether they win or lose, though - but the winning helps of course!

17. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Shit wish I could rag on you, but I don't follow college sports in the slightest. Not my thing at all. I actually loathe college football

18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Can we get back on topic guys?

[​IMG]

jaykoz3, drewuke, lopezzzz and 1 other person repped this.
  19. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is more entertaining than the union

lopezzzz, jaykoz3, Handsome Pete and 4 others repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1870 thomas19064, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    I'll bite.... regardless of whatever reason we all ended up supporting this sorry ass team, the fact of the matter is now we're stuck with them because we are too loyal and the FO will continue to take advantage of our loyalty.

Also let's make sure we know loyalty is not equal to thinking things are honky-dory.. this team can/probably will continue to serve me platters of crap for the next 50 years, and I'll be enough of a shuck to continually pump way too much money into this team.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If you unpack that, I think "team loyalty" is a lot more about the people we go to games with and talk shit on the Union with than it is about the actual team. Like, I don't go to games because the Union is good or bad. I go because it's a chance to hang out with my family and enjoy a nice afternoon. Quitting on the Union means a lot more than just not following the team.

DaMunk and Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  22. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, this.

I walked from my tickets in 2013. I still went, but I went as cheaply as I could. I resented putting my good money in when I couldn't see ownership doing the same. Didn't quit on the team, but they disgusted me with their ineptitude. Ticket reps would call me to get me back and they'd get an earful on what was wrong with the team. "Call me when you fire Sak and Hack". When the rep called me after Earnie was hired, she was practically giddy. I bought some games. More this year. If they'll invest, I'll invest. I'm not sure how I could quit, it's like quitting a brother-in-law. Best you can hope for is some awkward conversation on the holidays, but you're stuck with them.

23. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loyal? I think if a 2nd MLS team set up in Center City (pipe dream for sure) and I could take the R5 to games... i'd switch teams real quick. The lasting memories of this actual club on the field are far and few between. I'd be happy to forget all those long walks back to the far reaches of Lot C after another boring and poor result.

jaykoz3, derek750, billf and 1 other person repped this.
  24. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, I guess I'm a fool... I hitched my wagon to these bums and I'm sticking to them no matter what.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  25. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No I'm with you. It'd feel dirty to switch like that, I couldn't do it. It's like one of those "nobody can make fun of my little brother but me" sort of things. Is this club incredibly frustrating and continually running on a treadmill of mediocrity? Yes, but it's my frustrating club continually running on a treadmill of mediocrity. I don't spend as much money on the Union as most of you probably do (I'd watch most games on TV when I lived back in the Philly area and moved to Denver in January) but I do still read twitter, listen to podcasts, post here, and then tune in every weekend in this strange emotional dichotomy of excitement to watch them play and frustration/disappointment knowing they'll surely lose. I don't know why, but I can see that going on for perpetuity without me losing interest.

jaykoz3, ScottyMac26 and thomas19064 repped this.