Philadelphia Union - 2019 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ninja: Look who's at the top...
    1147113181472595968 is not a valid tweet id

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  2. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUT HE POINTS!

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thomas19064 repped this.
  5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heir apparent to Haris?

6. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice that we signed MacMath's little brother.

thomas19064 repped this.
  7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Bendik? Why not, he's played for every other team in the league

The best thing about this is that the SOBs have a picture of his face on the side of their beer wagon due to his multiple failures to move on free kicks over the years inside PPL Park.

They are bringing in the best sad, old foes this year as Union first team depth pieces. First Olympic Diver Collin, now Stationary Joe Bendik. Who could possibly be next?

9. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I love having Collin on the team. Hated him passionately prior. I do not feel that way about Bendik, however.

slitz repped this.
  10. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, now that we have an open international slot, an open DP slot, we're in first place and have some TAM in the bank, the team has the ability to make a significant foreign signing prior to the transfer window closing on August 7.

What is the team's biggest need at this point? A RB to complement Wagner's ability to whip balls in from the wing? A CB that has more experience than Trusty and won't be exploited by the best strikers in the league during the playoffs? An upgrade from Aaronson in the event that Monteiro is out for some period of time? An AM that could push Fabian to a drop-back striker position since that's what he seems to be playing anyway?

If you could bring in one foreign $500k-$1M player at this point, what position would it be?

cwelch999 repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB would be the first priority IMO. The problem is, it's a position that has such a thin pool to begin with, I'm not even sure how you find someone of quality that is worth the expenditure.

No offense to Gaddis, but I think you could find someone in the 250K-300K range that would be enough of an improvement to solidify things for the Post-Season.

Again, though, even poring over Transfermarket, it's hard to find someone to fit. It's not like you are going to pluck a guy who's played his whole life in one country to suddenly move overseas.

12. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Barring an opportunity to get someone special at any position, I would be looking for an RB as well. I don't know if I would blow a lot of money on that position tho. Worse case I would look for someone who at least is better offensively even if weaker on the defensive end so you at least have that option tactically. I think Gaddis is fine from a defensive perspective but his offense just isn't there. I think he has at least realized it at this point and usually doesn't try to do too much anymore.

13. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upgrade the RB position. Gaddis is adequate defensively but offers next to nothing in the attacking third. For a first place team, he should only be a back up. Surely Tanner can find a better player than Gaddis. There's bound to be a guy in the Polish second division or the Estonian top flight that would love a chance to play in America.

Phillyspur repped this.
  14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's Monteiro, Pryzbylko, and Wagner, though. Their whole careers were basically spent in areas of land the size of Texas. Santos had only played in Brazil and Chile. I think there are a lot of guys out there who are willing to pick up and come play for a first place MLS team if the money is OK.

15. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much money do we really left have to spend? Between extending Jamiro's loan and adding Wooten, there can't be too much left. Coronel couldn't have been taking up that much cap space, much of which went to Bendik, who as a long time MLS vet probably isn't exactly on a minimum salary. Besides, TAM can only be used in certain situations, like buying down the contract of one DP to make room for an more expensive one...so probably the Wooten acquisition.

16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt those guys exist, but for us average Joes, we can't tell who they are just by picking names off of Transfermarket.

17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coronel and Bendik were a wash in terms of the cap but the transactions freed up an international slot.

My understanding from what I have read and from Tanner's comments is that the team would have the ability to bring in a high-priced player and pay down the cap hit with allocation money.

18. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. If this is true, not sure if I'd rather have them save those resources to finalize Jamiro's transfer at the end of the season, or bring in another player over the summer. You could argue this is our window so we should stock up to make a run in the playoffs, but this may not be the year to go for broke with the way LAFC is playing.

19. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They may already know whether or (more likely) not they can bring Monteiro back. After ten years of ineptitude I think it's time to finally make a run at it. Maybe we'll win a playoff match!

cwelch999 repped this.
  20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way I look at it, too. We know this team's track record. Next year we could be struggling in the 6th-8th spot. We're in 1st now, let's make the run, regardless of the LA teams.

cwelch999 and Starpork repped this.
  21. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what happened with Cory Burke? I still haven't seen a report or even a credible rumor. Did he run afoul with the law in the US or in Jamaica? Is it a domestic situation or something else? An old issue or conviction that he didn't disclose? It's odd that his visa was revoked but there hasn't been any other public action taken against him that I can see. And if the team thinks that it can loan him to Europe or elsewhere, it's strange that the US won't allow him in but other countries might allow him to work.

Has anything been reported?

22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Kinkead (or maybe it was Tansey?) said on one of the podcasts that Jim does not expect to have him back this year.

Also pretty sure the rumor from the reliable sources was marijuana related in some capacity... idk if it was oriented towards failing a test or possession of some kind... but yeah... I think that's the safe bet.

23. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Only would happen if he was willing to do a Fabian type deal, which he won't do if there are that many other interested teams. He has had injury issues and has managed 5558 minutes in all comps the last 5 years (about 1100 minutes a year). No way the Union shell out huge money on him if he is only going to be fit for about a third of the season.