Philadelphia Union - 2019 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I’m not looking for lifetime commitment, but three or four years would be a good start.

2. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #LetRayTakeIt

Phillyspur and mattylip repped this.
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was impressed with the PK he took in the Open Cup final.

lopezzzz repped this.
  4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that Ray has the club record for PK conversion rate. Eclipsing the likes Le Toux, Edu, and even club legend Andrew Wenger.

Starpork repped this.
  5. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger does have the unofficial record for the most-posted GIF of a Union player on the Union Big Soccer forum for his dribbling out of bounds unchallenged. The GIF of Aurelian Colin's flop may have been posted even more, buy he wasn't a member of the Union at the time of the incident. This may need to go to the committee for a ruling of who holds the actual record.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Starpork, drewuke and lopezzzz repped this.
  6. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looking forward to a Collin flop we can finally call our own.

Union42 repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cwelch999 repped this.
  8. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brotherly Game twitted:

Jamiro Monteiro's loan from FC Metz has been officially extended for another six months. The Union have an option to buy at the end of the loan.

https://t.co/DleF1HbEUq

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought occurred to me this morning. Imagine the Union if they managed to hang on to Dockal at the end of last season? Fabian has been hurt, and Aaronson is still a rookie. They've both had flashes, but imagine a midfield of Dockal, Ale, Jamiro, and Haris with Ilsinho coming off the bench?

I realize it's a pipe dream since if we'd spent the money to buy Dockal we probably wouldn't have been able to bring in Fabian and Jamiro, but just imagine it for a moment...

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  10. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaddis is the most obvious weak link on the team. He offers almost nothing going forward into the attack and is a liability defensively. Any chance of a new RB coming in during the transfer window? Was trading Rosenberry worth it? Doesn't seem like it at the moment.

buzzkiller23 and Union42 repped this.
  11. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Jamiro channel Nogs and throw his hands up after one of Gaddis's back passes last night against Red Bull after Gaddis passed on an opportunity to send a cross to Jamiro with no defenders within 20 yards of him.

Weirdly, Gaddis sometimes make decent attacking decisions with the ball on the rare occasions when he ends up around the final third, maybe because he doesn't have time to think. But when he's in the middle third of the field, and he has time and space to make a decision, he almost always take the safe option and cycles the ball back to the center backs.

I took a neutral friend of mine to the Seattle game a few weeks ago who wasn't familiar with the Union. Gaddis was playing the ball back to the center backs so consistently that my friend asked if I thought the manager had instructed the Union to only attack up the left side.

LiverpoolFanatic and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  12. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It often looks like a left sided only instruction. Occasionally I think Gaddis is going to produce something decent because he's found himself in an advanced position and then he invariably gives the ball away or executes a terrible cross. Then Ilsinho comes on to rescue the Union...

Union42 repped this.
  13. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 WVUPharm2007, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    New salaries are out.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mlspa/June-1-2019-Salaries-Alphabetical.pdf?mtime=20190612132231

[​IMG]

Kind of surprised they are only playing Collin $175k. Monteiro is one hell of a bargain! Elliott and Trusty, too. But what's important, I really don't see a player making a ridiculous amount of money vs what they produce. Maybe Santos, I guess. But that's about it. By far the best the roster has looked vs what each individual actually produces in team history.

14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the difference between the two columns again? Is the second number the actual amount paid? If so, why list two numbers?

15. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was of the impression that one is the base salary before bonuses, while the other is what the player actually gets paid (the distinction has something to do with calculating the player's salary cap hit), but I may be wrong.

16. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Base and guaranteed salary.

17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that one is the cap hit and one is the actual amount paid but what's the difference? What accounts for the difference in numbers?

What's to prevent every player from having a $70,000 cap hit and then paying a huge amount to every player?

18. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When will Fabian start to be worth his wages?

cwelch999 repped this.
  19. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume this all means that the cap hit is the Guaranteed Salary, not the Base Salary.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

"The Annual Average Guaranteed Compensation (Guaranteed Comp) number includes a player's base salary and all signing and guaranteed bonuses annualized over the term of the player's contract, including option years.

For example, a player earning an annual base salary of $500,000, whose contract has an initial term of two years with two one-year options and received a $100,000 signing bonus, his average annual guaranteed compensation would be $525,000 (base salary plus signing bonus ($100,000), with the signing bonus divided by the number of years covered by the contract (4)).

The Average Annual Guaranteed Compensation figure also includes any marketing bonus and any agent's fees, both annualized over the term of the contract. The Average Annual Guaranteed Compensation figure does not include Performance Bonuses because there is no guarantee that the player will hit those bonuses."

cwelch999 and mattylip repped this.
  20. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. That makes sense. The first number is the base salary and the second number is the base salary plus any additional lump sums paid divided by the term of the contract.

But what happens when a contract is renegotiated in the middle of the term like with Elliott this season?

21. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Probably never, but it was worth the risk.

22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he's wearing a Miami jersey and he goes off on us for 3.

EdBacon, cwelch999, Phillyspur and 3 others repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco