Philadelphia Union 2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by jaykoz3, Oct 31, 2018.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it on twitter. Bye CJ. You work hard and that's always appreciated. Scoring goals is even better though...

cwelch999 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good luck to him. We'll always have 2017.

drewuke and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  4. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone remember what we gave SKC for CJ back in the day?

5. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a huge cap space black hole eliminated. Progress.

thomas19064 repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go big in the summer window???? Please?!

cwelch999 repped this.
  7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Doubtful. We got Fabian, so we aren't going big like a DP. However, the cap space plus the money might see us fill whatever our biggest need is with a TAM signing. I wouldn't hold my breath though since we are most likely just bringing up kids from the Steel. Ngalina is likely to be brought up mid-year unless he regresses since it sounds like Tanner really likes him. The only spots I really see us going outside the organization for this year would be that Jones/Creavalle spot if they don't work out or Haris' spot if he doesn't work out.

8. hasuprotoss

hasuprotoss Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buzzkiller23 repped this.
  9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we gave up draft pick for him and got up to 450K of MLSopoly Money for him? He probably had as many good seasons as bad for us, so I think we came out ahead on CJ.

Kind of ironic that SKC shipped out CJ and Collin at the same time, and 5 years later we unload one the same time we pick up the other.

10. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were some really good players in that first round: Larin, Shelton, Alashe. SKC took Connor Hallisey. To the best of my knowledge, he is out of the game. The only decent player taken after him was Christian Roldan. So... the net is a couple of decent years out of CJ, plus 450k for Hallisey? I’d say it’s among the best deals they’ve ever made!

Starpork and thomas19064 repped this.
  11. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not that trading away our 4th or 5th best striker for MLS funny money is a bad thing but we are now 6 days from the opener with a roster of 25. Does this mean the top 5 Academy students are going to get contracts? Don't the Union have to pay if the roster is not at 30?

By the way, Steel roster is at 8. Gonna fill those with Widner interns?

12. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

I don’t see penalties for not carrying 30.

There is this, which you may be conflating:
    Per the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between MLS and the MLS Players’ Association, every MLS team needs to sign a minimum of 18 players to their Senior Roster. If a team carries less than 18 players, they will be assessed the Senior minimum ($70,250 for 2019) against their cap as a placeholder for each player less than 18. Roster slots 19 and 20 are not required to be filled, and teams can spread their salary cap charge over just 18 players if they so choose.

Also, this dude has a lot of time on his hands
    https://kennethrussodotcom.files.wo...f-rosters-in-major-league-soccer-09-oct-1.pdf

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading some hot takes on Twitter that Accam hasn't been training with the team recently. Coupled with the fact that he supposedly wasn't at the Meet the Team event (I wasn't there, can someone corroborate?), could he be on his way out?

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  14. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, he wasn't there! In fact, someone placed his name card on the table, and then it was pulled off the table. He was definitely a no-show. However, Curtin sung his praises on the KYW podcast this week, so who knows?

thomas19064 repped this.
  15. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that the Phillies increased their 2019 "to date" ticket sales by 50% just on the signing of Bryce Harper yesterday. Nearly 100,000 tickets sold in less than 24 hours.

I would love to see if the Union saw anything similar to that when Fabian was announced.

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #541 thomas19064, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Harper 25 million/year
    Union's entire budget (senior+developmental) 10 million/year.

Dills and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are "the starters" other than Ilsinho? Is it Burke, Wagner and Gaddis. Santos? Mbaizo?

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #543 thomas19064, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019

Biggest question for me is left shuttle... I imagine we'll see a rotating cast of characters, I'd prefer Jones.

Santos - Burke
    Fabian
    Jones - Bedoya
    Haris
    Wagner - McKenzie - Trusty - Gaddis
    Blake

and you'd have a really great selection on the bench to change the game... particularly with Fafa and Ilsinhio as options first off the bench.

19. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're definitely going to see Ilsinho at LM tomorrow. And Fafa will start as well.

I'm still unsure about the defense. Wagner and Gaddis may or may not be selected and McKenzie may or may not be fit yet.

thomas19064 repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Based on what we've heard, yeah, I think Ilsinho starts a LM tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that's what we'll consistently see game in game out.... think that position particularly will have a platoon of different players starting pending on the situation.

I'm struggling with Picault/Santos... the two of them seem very similar, and I like the idea of one of them being paired with Burke.... Picault is the established player, but I have a hard time believing they don't intend to have Santos be a regular starter....

Wing backs I'm guessing... Gaddis and Wagner are my gut.... I sort like the idea of starting with Ray and having Mbaizo come in off the bench for a different look on that right flank.

mattylip repped this.
  21. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones and Creavalle each told me on Tuesday evening at the Meet the Players event that they intend to play at SKC and/or ATL for Week 2 and Week 3. Curtin also has said that this week in his many interviews.

I think it will be Burke and Fafa tomorrow. Fafa seemed pretty confident that he will be a starter.

I like your idea about Gaddis starting and Mbaizo replacing him late in a game for a different look, particularly if the Union are down a goal. In such a situation, Wagner plays higher on the left, Mbaizo plays higher on the right and maybe Jones or Creavalle (or even Elliott) come in to replace Medunajnin. The 4-4-2 turns into a more offensive-minded 3-5-2 with a lot of width.

thomas19064 repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me crazy, but wouldn't all 25 players on the roster "intend to play" every game?

Starpork, jaykoz3 and Union42 repped this.
  23. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Union players.

And FWIW, both Jones and Creavalle said they did NOT intend to start tomorrow but do intend to play in the next two away games.

drewuke repped this.
  24. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work with several people from Mexico. They have never shown any interest in MLS or the Union in the past. Today two of them told me they were going to the game tommorow. Phillies 100,000 - Union 2.

25. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We have a starting XI, a few subs, and a Shrimp Deck XI.