Petkovic , a great unkown?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoccerScout, Oct 17, 2002.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    For a few years now this Yugoslav Petkovic has been tearing it up in the Brazilian league. He spent a couple of years with Flamengo and then this year transfer to rival Vasco da Gama. The guy is one of those brilliant #10's. His touch is amazing coming through game after game. He aslo is deadly with his placement on direct kicks, even giving Flamengo a title in the last minute of a championship game on a foul shot.

Its relatively uncommon for foreigners to play in Brazil since Brazil has so many players, but its even less common for a European to play in Brazil. Has this guy ever played for the Yugo national team? In not, why not?

Again yesterday in the classic Flamengo x Vasco , he had 2 brilliant assists. He is legendary in Brazil and believe me thats not easy to achieve.

2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    What is his first name?

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    [​IMG]

"Pet" as he is kindly called in Brazil here scores the title goal on a foul shot in the last minutes of the game.

Petkovic is so good that if he was Brazilian he would play on the national team.

[​IMG]

5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yugoslavia is generally famous for producing great skillful players so based on that it's not surprising to see him have success in Brazil. A good career move obviously. Europeans going to South America is pretty rare.

6. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
  7. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Not a complete unknown...

After doing a quick web search on his name, I found a site that lists his playing career and his 6 national team caps for 1 goal, vs. Russia in 1995. Apparently he had a good spell for Red Star from 91-95 or so, then was at Real Madrid but played only a couple games as a substitute and was loaned to Sevilla and one other (can't remember, don't have the page any more). Eventually he went to a smaller Brazillian club, Bahia I think, and seemed to have a breakthrough--after never more than 5-6 goals per year, he had double digits with them. Played 3 years, then 1 year back in Europe at Venezia, unproductively, then back to Brazil and again on fire.

Of course, I have no idea if he was playing a d-mid position in Europe, or why he has so few caps, etc., but at least he hasn't been off the radar entirely.

8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Yeah "Pet" (pronounced Petchy in Portuguese) played for Vitoria from the state of Bahia. A 2nd tier club. He did so well that Flamego from Rio picked him up and thats where he became a national hero. After Fla went broke last year they coulnt pay his salary and rival Vasco picked him up.

This guy is great. If he play defensive mid in Europe then that was the problem. He is a playmaker/scorer.

Hello YUGOSLAVIA this guy should b on your national team!

Here are some stats I found on him. Note he is still only 30 years old.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/yugoslavia/players/petkovic.html

9. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Yep the guy is good and a rarity to be European and playing for a top flight Brazilian team...clearly his natural skills have been enhanced playing in the home of creativity...plays in 'the hole' in Brazil a defensive mid in Europe - highlights the opposing philosophies of the respective continents.

10. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I recall him when he was in Madrid. They called him "Rambo" Petkovic. He had bad luck, it was a difficult moment at the team. He played as offensive mid or winger. His speciallity were free kicks. I remember in a game Hierro went to kick one of those -he had failed two previously- and strangely the crowd began crying "Rambo, Rambo!". Of course Hierro shot that free kick in the end.