Pes 2009

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mel Brennan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to get PES for sure (already have FIFA) because I wanted to play as Zenit, but everything I am seeing is troubling. I read through the reviews on Amazon.uk, and they were lukewarm at best. People generally preferred previous PES to this one.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    if anything PES 2008 was worst than this one, this one is comparable to PES 5 and 6

3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Then why so many negative reviews? I'm not trying to bash the game as I haven't played it, but I'm curious.

4. Gilky115

Gilky115 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    im going to have to disagree with you on this one. PES 2008 was much much better then 2009. It seems all they really did was make the game more life like image wise. The game play is so choppy and not fluid at all.

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^For PS3???

The game for PS3 was rediculious! The ball ping ponged around, the game play was too fast, the R2 button wasnt the same stopping the ball. The game now IMO feels better and more like the older PES games.

The last one for PS3 felt too "arcade" like, and really unrealisitic.

6. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    ^^^ i played last years version on my friends ps3 and i agree with you it was better on my 360 but not as good as this years..

7. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if I should not get it for PS3 then....

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I haven't tried Fifa 09 yet but considering the better reviews, I might give it a shot. PES improved but only a little...more realistic but there should be better contrast when it comes to attributes in players.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If that is what you want then I would advise you to avoid FIFA.

10. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just tried PES 2009 Demo for PC. Definitely was not feeling it at all. Sticking to FIFA afterall.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The demos are simply not comparable to the final game. I'd also avoid the reviews this time around because I have yet to read a realistic or accurate one for either title.

12. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just trided this game for the first time online and I think it will be the last

The ball disappears and then reappears like this is Captain Tusaba

and when the person scored, my goal keepers started doing michael Jackson spins and the clock just kept running down, how do I know I will play someone who is on green or at least a yellow

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It also really depends on your connection too. Are you seeing Red when you play players? OR green or yellow? The best connections is when its green under your Username and theirs when your in a room.

14. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    this game was finally published where i live and i finally got my hands on this game. This is my take after playing 5 matches on the most difficult difficulty.

1. Players slowed while speed of the ball remained the same. Defensive positioning are now more important than before
    2. Computer AI got multiple times better, especially in attack.
    3. Regular Trialgle passes are more difficult to pull off, but L1 triangles are much much much more effective. (They dont needlessly lob the ball in the air for the defenders to clear out). This made the game more 3D.
    4. dribbles and direct free kicks became more difficult.
    5. Maybe i was just unlucky but i had maybe 40 shots and only 15 of them were on taget, while scoring 4 goals. Even though I dont like to take shots outside the box. So far, i feel it is more difficult to score.
    6. More new movements. RVN Scored a wonderful 1 vs 1 goal (from a difficult angle) for me and i never saw this movement before in previous series.
    7. 1v1 much easier to stop, but cutbacks inside their box is still overly effective.
    8. Much more effective referees. A bit too harsh on breakaway fouls.

5 out of 5 stars for me.
    I cant wait to play this game all weekend!

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Cool to hear!

For those that dont know, there is a Option File out with all the kits for all the teams done in the game, national teams too!

This is for the NORTH AMERICAN VERSION ONLY!

There are other ones and a more vast selection for the Euro Version, but the American one will catch up sooner or later.

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=66312

Check it out, its here. If anyone needs help on how to install if the instructions werent clear enough, let me know.

16. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought this game. I never played any of its previous versions before, nor have I played much of FIFA. I'm addicted to this game though. I can't seem to be able to control my shooting well, like what junjunforever wrote. But I'm slowly progressing. I guess you really have to be able to press the shoot button lightly, but whenever I have an open shot I think I pound on the button and up the ball goes. I mastered beginner mode the second half of the first game I played. But I've been trying to beat Milan with Palermo (this Sunday's match) in amateur mode and I can't seem to score (except once the last game which I lost 1-4) or stop Kaka or Inzaghi from getting by me occasionally. I have to trip them up or they muscle past my defenders. It's hard to bring the ball into the box also. I'll keep at it.

17. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for an "Americas" OF. With MLS, FMF 1a, AFA 1a, Brasileirao, and Columbian 1a as well as the other usual suspects in Copa Lib. When that comes out I'll buy the game, otherwise it really doesn't call my attention anymore.

18. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    which stage are you at in terms of difficulty?

I dont see why people are giving this game 5/5.. its a 3.5/5 at most for me this year.. These are the multiple problems.

1- Passing has become harder and frankly in my opinion sh!t. The games tries to do complex hard passes to other teamates instead of simple passes where you direct it to. Ive lost good counter attacks and conceded stupid goals because of this. one time my left back didnt do a simple pass to the GK as i had instructed, instead it tried to pass to the RB when there was another oncoming striker who slammed it in:mad:
    2- positioning is horrible. the keeper is always over his line even when the defenders seem to have it covered. I havent gotten scored alot because of this but the strikers take advantage of this alot and shot leading to corners.

Personally i feel that both FIFA and PES are alright games but neither are the perfect footballing game..

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm playing on the highest setting and have not encountered the same problems.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    With the passing issue are you sure you are not releasing too early? By that I mean hitting pass and then changing direction on the stick before the direction of the pass is registered?

21. Gmak

Jul 13, 2005
    I usually choose a direction and press the pass button.. Still backfires. I have mine on PC and i thought it was only a problem with the comp but im sure its not because ive played it on three other Xboxes and still get the same problems. I forgot to mention, this doesnt happen alot with good teams but im on career mode with Getafe where the game is being bias and is pissing the Sh!t out of me. do you play it regulary? if you do then by now you should hae encountered these problems

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you on Become a Legend? I haven't used that much, is that a legitimate feature or just a side thing? Anyway, in a regular match, passing has been pretty good for me. I'm generally able to get the ball where I want using both long passes, quick passes and regular ones. I use the manual pass sometimes too though I don't know how useful that is. I'm on a PS2. Shooting is another story though! My shots are usually embarrassing. If a player is being pressured by a nearby defender, does that make the shot less accurate?

23. Gmak

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah it does for some players but for others who are cool under pressure they can still finish. I understand that the game designers did that to make it realistic but I've had some of my players miss Sitters. that is too unrealistic if you ask me, which is why i prefer the shooting option in FIFA.
    Im on Regular as well, I can beat the CPU using a top team in regular and top player, but once i play with any other ''smalller'' teams and the passing range is terrible.
    And ABOUT the game being too flashy, my players usually love letting the ball pass through their legs and turning when recieving passes sometimes. This is an automatic thing for my game and i loose the ball alot due to that.
    PES 2009 just doesnt do it for me and im not the only one. I really enjoyed PES 2008 but this year its more sluggish and diffucult in a disapointing way. Good thing i didnt buy it. FIFA 09 is smoother and better this time around, but both are still average games in my eyes.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The shooting is far more realistic on PES and it is one of the reasons why I like it. You rarely get cheap goals and anyone can miss a sitter if you mess the shot up (it can even be as simple as being slightly out in your timing). I defy anyone to use the finesse shot on FIFA and miss. As for your passing range complaint how is that not realistic? You should not expect to be able to pass the ball around accurately with Hull City as you would Man Utd. Their passing is limited for a reason. It is a fundamental difference between the two games because the ratings in PES are far more in depth and directly impact on what a player can do in any given situation. As for your 'automatic' dummy and spin it is a move you pull off. I had heard this complaint (and countless others) because people do not understand the range of moves available. FIFA is sluggish while PES is pretty good in that it enables you to play a slow passing game or snap into a quick and direct counterattack. It gives you freedom to play as you wish. FIFA has went 'beyond' realism in some areas and stuck with arcade fun in others. It is not a balanced game.

25. Gmak

Jul 13, 2005
    The positioning and AI of your teammates is stupid in most cases, i feel. when you play a pass to your RB, the RM comes towards the RB instead of making a run upwards. This happened with all teams not just smaller clubs. There is also the unessesary back heel used when players dont know who is behind them and may end up setting up a counter attack. The passing of course has to be different for different teams but simple passes, let alone magic through balls, are sluggish and hard to do with smallers teams when they shouldnt be.