Perpetually pissing off the tradtional top three - FC Twente [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You know it makes sense.

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Doesn't Twente have a bigger budget by now than Feyenoord?

PS I do see the word traditional

3. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The best thing for the Eredivisie is if we have a different champion every year--it would change the old time thinking going on and break the old traditions

the only constant is change--this is great for the league

And if you look at the last 4 years this is the case--so things are progressing

4. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Twente is the anti-establishment team?

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well it's quite upsetting for the traditional top three that we've been doing so well for years now. It's not how things are meant to be in their view.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We even had higher revenues than PSV last season. But budget wise we're the number 3 behind Ajax and PSV.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you really mean 'revenue' or 'net income.' I haven't seen numbers for last year but it would surprise me if it were the former (though maybe it was the Champions League money that did it and if so what was the differential between the two clubs). PSV had (and probably still do) a much larger salary line than FC Twente which of course would impact the net income.

I'm not meaning to be argumentative on this, just curious about the financials since I'm studying this (and we know the PSV situation well because of The Swiss Ramble analysis).

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You don't have to tiptoe around me haahaaaaa. Don't worry.

53 million is what we had in revenues last season, and I'm pretty sure that that was more than PSV. We spend even less on wages than Feyenoord, this is all public information these days thanks to the KNVB's financial category system, and their annual eredivisie audit being made public to 'name and shame'. The KNVB deems Twente the only financially healthy club not just because we're profitable but also because we're the only club that adheres to KNVB guidelines in terms of what percentage of revenues is spent on wages. There are other profitable clubs in the league, Heracles for example, but they spend 70% of revenues on wages and that's too much in the KNVB's view. I think it's below 60% at Twente.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Then it's because of the CL money. PSV in 2010 earned €49.9M which was down from the previous year since they did not make the CL. As I recall, Twente earned €12M from CL and EL football last year. You can see the breakdown for PSV here: http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/PSV Eindhoven . As you know, it's still all a thin edge for Dutch teams if they overspend.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh we got 12 million in CL money.

If anything Twente proves that you don't need to overspend to do well in the Dutch league. The big advantage we've got is that we own our stadium, allowing us to generate revenues outside of matchdays (and in turn making us less dependent on football results). There's not a lot of clubs who own their own stadium in the Dutch league, I think apart from us just AZ and Heerenveen. PSV owns the stadium but they sold the land it was built on this summer.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I sympathize with Twente. But I think it's a phase of transition now, and the 'big three' are no longer.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree. In a limited television market there's a revenue ceiling for the big clubs, and then it becomes a vicious cycle as they can no longer keep up with Europe's elite, and there's no big European football income. So the financial gap between the traditional top three and the rest will likely continue to narrow in the Netherlands.

Unless a sugardaddy emerges of course.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ly0F7cnjk&NR=1"]Het diekman verdwijnt... Het Arke stadion verschijnt deel 1 - YouTube[/ame]

For those of you who don't know how Twente has developed over the past 10 years a documentary about our old stadium. Brought a few tears to my eyes as a good part of my childhood lies there. Spot the familiar faces in the Twente team of old!

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    News about tomorrow night's game.

Adriaanse said he hopes to 'come up with a tactical plan that Benfica can't handle'. No idea what that means exactly but we'll see. I have a feeling we'll see an all or nothing Twente, a shock and awe Twente if you will. That means all out on the attack, and that also means we're as likely to score goals as to concede goals but never mind, at least it'll likely be fun.

Mihaylov is fit to play, we only have Chadli and Kuiper absent.

15. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    They need a goal-----Twente have the talent--the first game was exciting--lets hope this one is as well

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I have little doubt about it being exciting.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Another mysterious Adriaanse quote ahead of tonight's game: "our opponent can box better than Twente. So if we can't beat them by boxing, we'll wrestle."

There's a brilliant interview with young Ola John in my local paper today. I won't bore you with his stories about how 100% Tukker he feels, but what amazed me is that according to him, since he was 16, he's had offers from pretty much every single premiership club to join their academy, one offer even higher paying than the next. Seriously this cradle snatching has got to stop.

18. dreamingoranje

dreamingoranje New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Club:
    AZ
    I think this would make most sense. Essentially the only way Twente get through is by winning, or forcing some kind of mental high scoring draw. Looking at the Benfica side in the most simple terms, they are excellent going forward, and not very good going backwards. They're great with the ball, poor without it.

Twente need to have a real go because Benfica will definitely concede chances if you put pressure on them. If it turns into a goalfest with both sides trying to outscore the other is that a bad thing? Away from home, already concerned that Benfica have 2 away goals, I don't think it is.

the more I think about the game the more excited I get about it. I really do hope (and expect) that even if they don't do it, they have a real go.

The only seriously disappointing outcome tonight would be if they go out having not given a real account of themselves and having not threatened Benfica enough. If they spend too much trying to nullify Benfica's threat without posing one themselves. I really can't see that happening though.

It's a concern on a number of levels, but almost seems completely accepted within football now. That doesn't mean it's right, but it is normal. I think the recent changes made to the English Premier League with the squad systems will actually not have the positive impact that it should and actually make things like this worse. The "homegrown" players rule should be good on the surface, forcing Premier League sides to concentrate on English players and develop from within. The problem is that "homegrown" does not mean "English". It relates to where the player developed as a youth.

In the same way that most English clubs reaction to "financial fair play" has been not to cut their costs, but to find ways to increase their revenue (Man City's stadium sponsorship, Man Utd selling sponsorship for their training kit etc), I think their reaction to these new rules will not be to develop more English players themselves but instead to just go and pinch players from abroad at an even younger age to ensure they can be considered homegrown if they develop.

many also seem to work in this country on the "throw enough mud, some will stick" theory. Rather than improve the quality of the development programmes in this country, they just work on quantity. Rather than devote a vast amount of time and resource into a handful of top quality youngsters, most would prefer to devote a much smaller resource to a vast number of youths. If we just keep putting more into the programmes, eventually one or two must come through good, right? The result is that far too many just get spat out having not made the grade when they may well have developed far better in their home nation or even at a lower level within England.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well the good news is that there's still young footballers with a brain like Ola John.

Honoured guests at the Twente game tonight:
    - all-time Twente topscorer and Legend Extra-ordinaire Blaise NKufo
    - Dutch crown prince Willem-Alexander (clearly a Twente fan then as the family isn't even in Portugal or anything, wise man)

20. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    If Benfica get the first goal--and so far it looks that way after a half--its over for Twente

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax=like defending looks to seal things for Benfica; too bad.

22. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jeez. That's 2-0.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wow, Twente are really on their back foot now. I didn't see this kind of poor defending for the past two years. Pack up for the flight home.

24. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    that's enough for me--Benfica is far better

25. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Twente is chanceless.
    Or Benfica is just very good, and will have a proper chance in the Champions League, or Twente is just bad.
    The difference in quality is large, it's like watching Twente against Dordrecht'90.

But this is football and Benfica is the better of the two, and so they deserve to go through.