Permanent stadium

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by irish56, Aug 29, 2013.

1. IndyEis

IndyEis New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree! I have been looking at what Peter Wilt has been saying on Twitter. He hasn't said much. But...this morning he twitted from the circle and he had an Indy Eleven scarf on (the tweet had to do with a food truck...LOL). I'd say he wasn't a block away from the statehouse this morning by accident. At least let's hope not!

2. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a long day. The session has to end today, but I don't think it has to end before 11:59:59 (the statute is silent on the issue).

USAsports6 repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009

4. IndyEis

IndyEis New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium deal is dead.....

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    well shit.

6. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very curious as to exactly what the sticking point was. It may be possible to get a bill through next year's short session, particularly now that the club has a better idea of what is politically possible (and exactly where/who the obstacles are).

The One X repped this.
  7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm sorry to hear this. The IUPUI improvement plan was never my favorite but to get it shot down as well is discouraging.

But hang in there. It took us five years with a pretty successful team here in Houston to finally get a stadium deal approved. It was worth the wait to get a great stadium in a great location.

8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it sounds like they just ran out of time to get everybody where they need to be financially. like jeff said, now they know what the options really are. hopefully next session, they will have done their homework ahead of time, and we can get a deal done. here's an article from the star:

jeffcoop repped this.
  9. IndyEis

IndyEis New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting bit about looking at "other communities"...ie...suburbs...

10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Not sure what they think they would be able to get from a suburb.

11. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when's the next chance for this to get passed?

12. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Next year.

BTL97 repped this.
  13. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #363 jeffcoop, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    It's a little hard to answer this definitively, because the statute defining the term of the short (even-yeared) session is a bit obscure about beginnings, but usually the short session begins in early January (it was January 6 last year) and must end at the end of the day on March 14.

Unless the governor calls a special session, nothing will happen in the legislature until then. And the governor is not going got call a special session over the stadium bill.

BTL97 repped this.
  14. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  15. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, a team in his region and his price range (let's be honest, he's not bidding for the Red Bulls) was just sold in the last couple years right up the road in Columbus.

17. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a nice, positive, long story on WTHR last night. I assume this is the beginning of a new public push for the new stadium--which is badly needed.

The One X repped this.
  18. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
  19. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the implication was the former. He spoke of wanting to be like the Irsays and the Simons, dedicated to Indianapolis sports.

The One X repped this.
  20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    ya. that's what i got out of it too. when he decided to stay in the states after he graduated, he made indy his home... at least until it's time to build a new new stadium. then he won't hesitate to threaten to leave. or am i too jaded?

21. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not too jaded. After all, Irsay threatened to leave if he didn't get a new stadium; I don't recall the public negotiations surrounding the building of Bankers Life Fieldhouse, but I'd be surprised if there hadn't been intimations that the Pacers could leave without a new home.

Carroll really is not usable as a long-term home. It's cramped and uncomfortable, the concessions and facilities are woeful, and if the atmosphere is decent it's only because of the tireless efforts of the BYB. But I doubt Ozdemir has the ability to fund a new stadium himself, without substantial state assistance. Building costs have skyrocketed at a rate far exceeding inflation over the past couple of decades.

22. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I'd think you'd rather want him to be Indiana's Lamar Hunt. Rather than just refer to him as Soccer's *insert local owner here*

The One X repped this.
  23. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    The Simon's have always stated their number one goal has been to keep the Pacers in Indy. People may have speculated they would move, but the Simons have never said anything in regards to moving the Pacers.

24. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm perfectly happy to think of Ozdemir as Indianapolis's Lamar Hunt--I hope he's as successful at establishing the game here as the Hunt family was in Kansas City. But, remember, Ozdemir invoked the Irsays and the Simons in a news story for a general audience. The Irsay and Simon names mean something to many people here; on the other hand, I suspect the overwhelming majority have never heard of Lamar Hunt (or, if they have, it was as the former owner of the Kansas City Chiefs).

themightymagyar and The One X repped this.
  25. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lamar Hunt comparison isn't that great, since Hunt also had franchises in Columbus and Dallas and while he LOVED KC ... his residence was always in Dallas. Sounds like Ozdemir wants to do something in his home town and focus on one franchise. But otherwise, yeah, Lamar Hunt :)!

jeffcoop repped this.