Percentage of Goals Scored from inside/outside the 18?

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone aware of research or commentary on the percentage of goals scored from shots inside the 18?

Ideally this would be based on the run of play. (Obviously, free kicks, other than PKs, are almost entirely from outside. Corners are scored from within the 18 for the most part.)

Any help or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. i have actually gone through a few of them. I may just do something systematic myslef (because i'm curious about it). I was hoping I could leverage someone elses research, however.

4. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I posted this link before when I produce the data which was at the end of the 2009 season:

http://www.enbltd.com/last5.mht

These are the collective statistics of 5 years of play for various leagues between 2004-2005 to 2008-2009. Out is the abbrivation for goals outside the box and include direct Free Kick goals (which is FK).

So for example:

EPL: 864 goals outside the box from 5626 total goals
    La Liga: 977 goals outside the box from 5882 total goals
    Serie A: 881 goals outside the box from 5590 total goals
    MLS: 452 goals outside the box from 2922 total goals.

From my stats Brazil Serie A has the largest percentage of goals outside the box from this time period. 1429 from a total of 7561

Interestingly percentage wise the numbers are fairly close 15-18% of goals are from outside the box and headed goals are around the same percentage for all leagues even the Womens Professional Leagues (Another league i do statistics for)

For individual players in the premier league you can look at www.EPLinfo.com. For MLS you can download www.enbltd.com/mls.pdf and a La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga sites will be up soon.

Cheers

Aaron