Pep Talks Not Working - The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, let's get the boomer view of things. Their interests are rarely considered :eek: :giggle:

But, yeah.. I agree. I think having the decision made within a time-limit won't change things significantly and will drastically improve the viewing experience.

This new idea where the ref has to go to view it on a screen by the pitch is exactly the wrong direction of travel. I assume they're on the comms to the people in the viewing room anyway so how much difference is that going to make.

It strikes me that this is another example of the perfect being made the enemy of the good. I was never a fan of VAR in principle but I'm willing to give it a chance if it's used sensibly but, as you say, after viewing these decisions for an extended period of time they STILL don't know if it's right... so what's the point???

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We can trace back Liverpool’s successes to Mourinho not playing Salah when we had him. This is all his ********ing fault.

lobomojo repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Let’s be honest, I didn’t see Salah becoming THAT good a few years back.

4. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Premier League referees are to be encouraged to make more use of pitchside VAR monitors, referees' chief Mike Riley is expected to tell clubs later this week.

It is now felt the on-field referee is best placed to make marginal calls because they are more aware of the flow of the game and the atmosphere at the time.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, joy! :cry:

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2406 EruditeHobo, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    I like VAR because it lessens the chance an important bad call will stand. Your point about Liverpool supporters would be taken a bit better if LFCs only dropped points this season weren’t arguably due to a missed foul call... could be full 11 clear of City right now!

That said, VAR ain’t perfect, it will never be, but it can improve; needs some tweaks in the summertime, as do some of the rules.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the Trent handball... with the new handball rule and it hitting Silva’s arm, pretty sure that’s a correct non-call? Attacking team cant have a goal scoring opportunity (penalty) result from an accidental handball, I think they technically got that correct.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that there are some hidden benefits to VAR that no one is talking about... it's like the things we don't see or don't happen because of VAR.. I mean like diving seems way down due to it because players know they will simply not get away with it... Stuff like off the ball dirty elbows, players not touched but falling holding their faces or sticking their fingers up player butts and falling over to get that player sent off, I mean stuff we've seen in key games. Was just getting out of hand and is why we need VAR. There are things that need to improve... ie, what is a handball exactly, marginal offside, but I think it's a step in the right direction at least....

JimWharton, Wrath and EruditeHobo repped this.
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an interesting question, things like diving etc, because I wouldn't be at all surprised to see simulation going down because of VAR, not just diving but especially trying to get players sent off by writhing around on the ground... but even apart from that, your point is definitely true overall, which I think is that everything VAR does well is often ignored in favor of discussing the controversy.

I mean I get it... the controversy is what it is, it's always going to exist, it draws eyeballs, etc... but the fact remains, even apart from the bad calls, VAR is doing exactly what it is set up to do. And maybe, as you suggest, even a little more?

I'm curious to see where they adjust from here; pitch-side monitors are an obvious one, but again we can all predict that the whining will then just shift to how much longer some of these tough decisions are taking. People just really like to complain, and the goalposts will shift to accommodate that fact.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ronaldo and Juventus. Sarri subbed Cristiano Ronaldo for two consecutive games. I think Ronaldo should learn from Kepa. Just say NO.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hands up anyone that wants to see Russia score and Courtois lose his clean sheet...just because he's a kunt...:D

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    LOL...sweet..:D:D:D

Crawleybus repped this.
  14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did Brock stutter. HE SAID DON’T SLEEP

lobomojo and truefan420 repped this.
  17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can picture is him dressed up as Prince saying game set blouses

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Blueallthru repped this.
  19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Poch sacked. Was inevitable once he lost the locker room but this is squarely on levy. He didnt strengthen the squad and wasn't able to accept deals for players who clearly wanted out and the price is a tired squad with little spark.

Be interesting to see who they get in and where poch lands. They have some very nice players there and a lot will depend on whether levy doubles down or starts to break up the assets and rebuild.

More importantly than anything though, the sh*t from the lane have won f*ck all again.

JimWharton and lobomojo repped this.
  20. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Super weird timing from the spuds on this one. Why not do it at the beginning of the international break? What new information could they have possibly gotten between last Saturday and now?

Oh well, spu*s gonna spu*s

lobomojo repped this.
  21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Waiting for the DVDs of the Poch era.

But he sure ran Harry Kane into the ground though.

lobomojo repped this.
  22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They had to wait until details with a new manager were agreed.

23. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sp*rs played some really nice footy at times, as dirty as they are. Lucky for us they never got the investment they needed.

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The one highlight of that awful 15-16 season was ruining Sp*rs chances of winning the league and helping Leicester win it.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When they finished 3rd in a two horse race?

Those were good times. Almost as solid as demba ba.