Pep Talks Not Working - The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's the nature of the game and ultimately if you accidentally stick your arm out in basketball to direct a teammate and the dribbler hits it while driving to the basket it's still a foul. In order for handball to work, regardless of circumstances, if your hand isn't by your side or in front of your chest or face, it's in an unnatural position. That it's debatable is the problem.

My 2 cents.

Wrath repped this.
  2. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed. You see players like Luiz, Cahill,etc behind their back in the penalty box for this very reason. And what was he directing in the box anyways?

Blueallthru repped this.
  3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    His arm being outstretched doesn’t even matter in my eyes given the ball hits his chest first. That fact that right there nullifies any advantage gained by having his arm out imo. Agreed overall

lobomojo repped this.
  4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    98% of the time in The League that is not called, and should not be called.
    ball to arm, not deliberate, intentional by attacker, no advantage, so close zero time to avoid ,ie all that jargon to be used in deciding/judgment call, not in official rule but taught and used by Referee Associations and governing bodies. plus in real time happened in nano seconds and as Yahtz says the fact it kareemed off chest makes huge difference

If you called every "technically a foul" matches would last 10 hours, or seem to, and fans would tune in to baseball for fast paced excitement.

Yahtzee repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR has been largely consistent with these calls though... arm in very weird position, VAR upholds these kinds of handball calls. It remains a profoundly stupid way to defend, you're just asking for a ball to be knocked into your very outstretched arm and put the ref in a tough position.

That said, I definitely thought VAR was going to cancel the pen as they were reviewing it because of the fact that it was off his side into his arm.

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well i think VAR is like NFL replays. you have to have clear evidence to OVERTURN the call on the field. though to be fair, i'm not sure that applies in this case, it clearly did hit his arm. i think the context though is open to more interpretation. and that's what i think VAR get's fuzzy. is VAR in place to interpret intent? or just to confirm or deny factual happenings.

so in this case VAR's role may only be to confirm that the ball did indeed hit the arm. any efforts to help ref's so far have been very clear about the intention is still to leave as much power with the ref on the field as possible and not usurp their JUDGEMENT. right or wrong, that's how things have been going so far.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that you're right that it does, generally, work like the NFL... if feels like you need the clear evidence in order to overturn, and it DID hit his arm.

Still, I thought it was going to be reversed. This is a really tough call with or without VAR, ref didn't use the monitor so clearly it's just a case of him personally feeling good about it. Tough call to open a match, no doubt.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Manchester City launch 11th-hour legal bid to stop Uefa banning them from Champions League

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UEFA such a joke, sure PSG, Real and Barca will be joining City:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PL going to suffer for years for filling out all the Finals' spots

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley looks lost without someone presenting themselves sideways or back for a 3 yard pass:cautious: not his best game but for a couple good tackles; Chilwell not quite prime time ready perhaps; still have not the slightest idea why people rate Stones ??? Maguire so good at being first to balls in box

Looking at Southgate,, thinking about who next, sometimes you can do a lot worse than just having a guy who does not ******** it up rather than a stubborn guy with a famous system or rep

11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ********ing stones is a ********ing joke, can't count the times he lost ball in or near own box and at fault for first goal too

he is like a shitty Luiz without the cool hair or occasional really good stuff

12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lolz, didn't realize england was playing. turned it on. barkley gives away a goal.

cool.

stones shouldn't have made the pass to him though either.

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Except for Stones antics a actually looked the better team for long stretches, but now behind looks like they are playing sorri slow paced sideways :rolleyes:ball

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    De Light not sure he is ready for elite Club defense quite yet, several gaffes, can score like a champ though, then again Stones plays for an elite team ???

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de Ligt looked shaky in the CL when I was paying attention, as well. I'm sure with all the hype he must be amazing, I haven't seen him enough to know, but I always get nervous when every time I tune in to watch a defender they are making awful blunders. de Ligt is somewhere about 3/5 in that regard, for me personally.

But he also scored 2-3 times in those 5 matches, to be fair...

lobomojo repped this.
  16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley made a few nice passes - forward ones. Like for the disallowed goal.
    Chillwell is fast and that is always an asset. quick footed too.
    Declan Rice was so very composed. Excellent player.
    Maguire is a leader with real drive - no wonder City want him to replace Kompany.

VAR needs to go. I hate it. There were 7 mins of injury time because of the VAR. IF this carries on then it will be like the NFL where every decision has to go through this lengthy process and the momentum of the game is lost. No VAR in baseball right? ******** the VAR.

lobomojo repped this.
  17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley that was a beautiful assist er to the Netherlands :p:D, He had some moments and tackles but really thought had had trouble adjusting and not his best day, getting more inconsistent over the year but I want him back, hopefully we have a better starter thoough

Chilwell is fast and decent on attack though he lost ball too much trying to dribble pas people and being selfish and not so good on making last pass; I meant defensively not so good at all yesterday though I remember him being better there in the League I think not ready for prime-time yet though

Declan Rice - agree quite like him and his poise/age

Maguire - I like him a lot, had a couple iffy's but I think he can step up to City, definite huge improvement over Stones

Totally agree on VAR, whatever it gets right, not worth the other shit and delays, match momentum killing and still amazing what VAR gets flat wrong anyway

.And it has ruined College B-Ball and NFL and college football, and that New Orleans bullshit was the crime of the century

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Maguire is legit. i remember brock and i (i think it was brock) talking about him back when he was at hull and some people thought he was crap.

the problem is he doesn't look even remotely like a footballer.

kid can hit a cross field pass too, that's for sure.

also remember when people said VVD wasn't worth it, and now he may be the best CB on the planet at the moment.

19. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Neymar wants to leave PSG desperately. But to return to Barcelona he will have to apologise to the Barca fans and accept a pay cut :D It is believed Neymar gets paid around £900,000 a week. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lobomojo repped this.
  22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U just signed Wan Bissaka for 50 mil

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My favourite VAR story of the day. . . Radio communications between the referee and VAR control room during Brazil's controversial 2-0 Copa America victory over rivals Argentina were blocked by the security team of visiting Brazil president Jair Bolsoaro.

Crawleybus repped this.
  24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs sell Trippier to Atletico for 25 plus add ons

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conte wants Lukaku at Inter... said he wanted him at Chelsea. Should put end to the old debate of who Conte wanted Lukaku or Morata and that the board wanted Lukaku not Conte. Looks like Morata was runner up.