People to People Sports Ambassador Programs

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Coach_Barry, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son got a letter from this group stating that the had been "recommended to represent the US in international competition."

Not that he isn't a great player but I'll wager that he was recommended by some mailing list that this group bought.

Before I attend the "special meeting", I thought I would mine BS for any information.

Thanks for posting if you know something about this group.

2. Shaune

Shaune New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    New Jersey
    Kid from my team went and loved it.

One of the kids on the team I coached went last year and she had a blast. I believe she went to Germany, Italy and Denmark. She wants to go again this year if she's offered the opportunity. She's a decent player, but during her highschool career she was never was 'all-anything'. She always tried her best though which is all I ever asked for. Needless to say she's like a member of our family so I treat her like a sister. I would never have recommended she go if I thought anything was shady.

They don't just pick the kids based on athletic ability, they also pick them for being good representatives of the U.S. She did a lot of volunteer work with soccer and at a local hospital. They stressed this point during the presentation.

Depending on where you choose to go - Tour Europe or Australia the costs can be a deterent. They offer options if parents want to go along.

She told me that when they arrived for their camp that the kids were divided up by skill level so that they would compete on an equal level with other teams during their competitions. I thought that was a nice touch. She also mentioned great food and accomodations. If I talk to her tonight I will get you more info.

On a personal note I was offered the same opportunity by Teams USA, who promoted the same type of deal as People to People. Needless to say I was set to go and couldn't wait for the summer. The Gulf War broke out and they contacted all the players informing us that the State Dept. issued a travel warning. Needless to say my mother decided it was best if I didn't go so we received a full refund. That was the worst Summer I ever spent - wondering about what could have been. I did try to get back on the roster, but all the arrangements had been booked.

Anyway, best of luck in whatever you choose, but I hope you let him go.