People to People Sports Ambassador Program

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by thesoccerphantom, Jan 1, 2005.

1. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    My 12 year old daughter just received a letter stating she was nominated to be a sports amabassador and attend a meeting to play soccer in Australia. I checked out their web site and it appears to be a big organization in several sports.

She has been playing on the state ODP team for 3 years for the U13's, (yes you read that right). This could be great experience with good coaches and elite players.

Has anyone had their player attend one of these programs?
    Is it a ligitimate enterprise and worth the time and effort?
    Any idea on how much these trips cost?
    Is this more of a field trip or are their good training and soccer experiences and would this be worth my time.

Please reply to the thread or privately.

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've never actually gone on one of their trips, but I used to get their mailings all the time. From what I gather, it is simply a money making enterprise, and your child is NOT going to be some ambassador.

Also, considering all the other opportunities your child has elsewhere (ODP, Region I,II, III or IV, US Youth teams), and even with a local, but elite club team, I would say to NOT send her on one of those trips. Plus, it is for ANY child. They don't target "good" soccer players... they just send the package out to anyone.

3. Shimmy

Shimmy New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    People to People offers nice little trips abroad for kids who want to go play some sport overseas, but kids are not selected for this trip by ability; they just send out letters to everyone they can get an address for.

Is it a nice lil vacation overseas? Sure.
    Does it cost a lot? Yes (I think at least $2,500 for 2 weeks).
    Is it a competitive level of play? No. You may have a few skilled players, but the majority will be rec players who toe the ball.
    Good coaching? Not any better than your average club coach.

I went to New Zealand and Australia with a different organization (AYSO) and somehow they convinced People to People to pay for everything for us. Part of the arrangment was that we'd train with their teams - and we played against several of their teams in the Kanga Cup as well. Scores were like 10-0 usually - and this AYSO team was no collection of all-stars either.

Anyway, that's my thought on People to People - this was summer of 2000 that I went overseas, but I doubt much has changed since then. From what I saw, People to People put together a nice trip for the kids (nice hotels, visits to main attractions, etc.) but just don't think your kid will benefit from great coaching and high-level soccer play - cuz that's not gonna happen!

4. SquareUp

SquareUp New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    We just received the same letter for my soon-to-be 12-year old daugther, too, so thanks for the information. I think we'll spend our money elsewhere.

5. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the $ame invite for a few years in a row for my $on as well.

Circular filed them along with those "let us be your college $cout" letters.

6. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the letter today for my 13 year old daughter. She's interested in going, not because of the soccer but for the experience. I'll let her decide if it's something she wants to do as long as it doesn't conflict with her summer tournaments ie: Schwann's USA Cup.

7. vabil

vabil Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Received People to People letter today for my U11 son. It is for a trip to Vienna Austria. He plays on one of the better teams in the region (1) and he did participate in ODP. I wonder how these people get the names and addresses. It appears to be a money maker for these groups.

8. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Closer to $5,000 for the trip. Life experience....yes. Soccer playing experience with quality players......no. Bottom line, if you have $5,000 to send your kid to play soccer somewhere find a good academy in another country and work it out on your own.

This is all based upon a thread that shows up year after year at around the same time.

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    By the way, year after year the kids seem to share two characteristics. 1) They are in the U11/U12 age range and 2) they are all affiliated with their State Association. Any thoughts on who may be selling your child's information to third parties?

10. my friend's son went to australia summer 04. not a sports trip. he had an awesome time, stayed with families, played wrangler on a sheep ranch..did alot of things that most people don't get to do on vacation. it was not cheap.

as long as a kid is not a troublemaker..they get accepted.

11. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    And how do they guage this? My honest opinion, is that as long as they are able to write a check, they are accepted.

12. not sure how they gauge it. one of his teachers suggested the trip to him. my friend said they had to give other references and those references were called. she had a feeling that if any of those had said he was a bad kid..they would not have taken him. he's high energy and easily follows.

the chaparones are on vacation too. would you want to take a PITA kid hafl way around the world on your vacation??

13. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, my kid is U18 and got his invite in the mail TODAY! LOL!!

Like I said he's been getting them for years, but it probably did start around age 13 or so.

14. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <looking at this letter> You know I must say that this letter looks very official and I can see where some people may think that it really is something special. In the bottom left corner it states "in partnership with" and then it shows the Adidas logo. Along the left side of the letter is a list of every past president from the last 60 or so years as "past Honorary Chairmen" with the present Honorary Chairman as GW Bush. The letter is on high quality paper and is totally personalized to my son even stating that he has been invited to become a member of the delegate from our specific area (San Jose more specifically). It certainly does not look like a form letter.

But it is.

http://www.sportsambassadors.org/

A player from my son's team went to Holland last summer. I wonder if he went through this program?

15. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at their website I find this:

People to People works with national sports governing bodies to introduce the program to families. There are a variety of coordinating organizations for the individual sports, such as:

Soccer - American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), USYSA, Cal South, U.S. Club Soccer
    Bowling - Youth American Bowling Alliance (YABA)
    Tennis - United States Tennis Association (USTA)
    Swimming - USA Swimming
    Volleyball - USA Volleyball and Amateur Athletic Union (AAU)
    Baseball/Basketball - AAU
    Wrestling - USA Wrestling

I bolded USYSA because I think every state soccer assosciation has a connection to USYSA.

It does bother me a bit that my son's infor was given or sold. I don't remember giving permission for that in any registration paperwork, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

16. SoccerLad

SoccerLad New Member

Jun 8, 2005

Just good old fashioned marketing in the US. Buy a list and let the pieces drop to the households. A numbers game. Menace is right this comes up everytime there is a mailing.

17. Socrmel12

Socrmel12 New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    people to people sports ambassador program is a great program for youths. It is not a scam and some of the best athletes and coaches across the country are involved in this program. Personally I have spent two summers with this program and it was the best experience in my life some player that have attended have been signed with professional teams from all over the world. If your children have the opportunity to attend it is an honor and they are consider to be a great athlete and would have one of the best experiences of there lives. The program does cost between 2000-2500 but the program does not make any money off of you it goes for the accomadations for the trip. also most of the athletes receieve a letter to attend the program were recomended by a coach, scout, or past program member.

18. keylyme

keylyme New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Athletes are not chosen based on ability. Anyone can nominate someone. My son attended the meeting and we saw the list of people who had gone the past few years....some very low-level athletes. I am sure an overseas trip can be quite educational, but that is what this is. And...very expensive; I believe the Vienna soccer program is around $5000 for a week. We asked questions about athlete selection and were told that the point of the program was not to necessarily look for the best players. My son's coaches never would have nominated him; they need him home for regionals that week!
    I wouldn't exactly label it a scam, because I am sure the trip is a wonderful experience, but they do lead you on and make you feel as if your child has been "specially selected" when the truth is, they have not.

19. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    All I can tell you for sure is that the letters (one for each of my children) have the exact same mis-spelled name/address field that somehow our State Youth Soccer Association have in their records. I know where this mailing list came from based upon this specific item.

I am not saying it is a scam, the kids will get a trip abroad from it. I echo that it may be a fun trip, but it is not chock-full-'o future professional level players.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My kid got a letter one year, I think the summer he turned 11. Of course, they had no idea what kind of soccer player he was, it's not as if they were scouting 11 year olds. Just a name off a list. Sure made him sound special, though! I let him cherish the fantasy that they actually found him and cared about him for a little while, before bursting his bubble. :p

21. cs1994

cs1994 New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    My son went on the trip to Holland last year. He would never have gone if he knew it was not going to be a high level soccer experiance. We did not tell him what the selection process was until he returned. We thought it would be a nice break from competative soccer for 2 weeks. He came home absolutely amazed by the trip, for the 2 weeks it was up to him to be at the appointed place at the appointed time, with everything he would need for the day on his own, if he overslept he missed the training, game or trip for that day.If you are looking for a high level soccer experience this is not it, although there were players from both Magic and Sockers and the region 2 teams in the group he travelled with. A trip like this could be put together for a club team for less money, but would not be the same type of experience ,travelling and playing with people that they know.

22. Coach George

Coach George Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Elgin, Il
    hahaha, I did the same when my 8 year old kid received letter.

23. Gazoomba

Gazoomba New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Do you have any original experiences of your own? You living through others stories is getting real sad.:(

24. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Play nice........ :)

25. Gazoomba

Gazoomba New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I received an invite from them. It said I was recommended by coach George.:eek: