Penn State scandal, JoePa and the football/college town complex

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some idiots on twitter do. I block them.

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We did.
    No one likes us, we don't care.

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think everyone understands at this point that Penn State fans don't care how people react to their honoring an enabler of a serial child molester. And that's certainly their right. But in your case, it's hard to take your "we don't care" seriously when you keep returning to this thread and bumping it after it's well and truly dead.

superdave, russ and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of things you don't seem to care about.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding.

And puts effort into not caring. Which is contradictory.
    [​IMG]

soccernutter and Ombak repped this.
  7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed.

8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    A couple of Paterno quotes....

"Losing a game is heartbreaking. Losing your sense of excellence or worth is a tragedy."

"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good."

"The minute you think you've got it made, disaster is just around the corner."

Say it ain't so, Joe!

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Do we need to keep this thread open?

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, we do! Roby found the info I was looking for about the RC Church, which would never, ever be called out for being taken down a peg like college football. Nobody does that because religion.

Pete, this thread was never about sandusky- it was a case study in selective anger. Please let it stay open so everyone can see how pedophilia gets attention when a coach does it.

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You remain as out of your mind as you were the last time you said this.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whatever, Booty.
    No one here has ever suggested that religion be taken down a peg.

13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to discuss how pedophilia has damaged the rc church and compare it to Penn State, have at it.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you've said exactly this before:
    . . .and my reply still stands.
    I mean, it didn't take me long to find several posts I'd made concerning my feelings about the despicable actions (and their tragic consequences) of the Catholic Church. And that's just me. I can think of several other posters here who have routinely and frequently been extremely critical of Catholicism or Christianity in general. Either you're missing a lot of stuff here, or you're just ignoring what for some reason you don't want to see.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You spoke out here about the RCC. Great. So did I. Nobody ever denied that in the first damn place.

The equivalent of "CFB" is organized religion, period, not just the RCC, tho that specific church has been my example because it's so much bigger and its crimes so much more egregious than any other. I am addressing the "CFB needs to be taken down a peg", not "Paterno needs", or "Penn State needs". We don't do that to organized religion, tho it's been shown to prove nothing and be good for nothing.

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd prefer if college football was taken down a peg. I have HS friends who talk about nothing but Notre Dame football. My friend did actually go to Notre Dame.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #3742 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Non-boy-raping America really, really does hate Penn State apologists like you, Paterno & the PSU administration.

5wjae.jpg

16b59aed2e1bf7a0f4821ac3328bda429c5e5bb936556d917eca80bb7e6d3109.jpg

images (1).jpg

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Penn State should've stepped up and dropped football then. But we all know half the students go for the "football experience" so that was never gonna happen.

Y'all have a fraternity drinking & killing problem too:

Timothy John Piazza (born 1997) was a 19-year-old sophomore engineering student at Pennsylvania State University. He was a pledge of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at the university. On the night of February 2, 2017, while undergoing hazing rituals for the fraternity, Piazza drank copious amounts of alcohol without eating much prior to the scheduled party, in a short time span in an obstacle course called "The Gauntlet". At the party, the course required each pledge to enter the house where they drank from a bottle of vodka, ran down the hall where they chugged a beer and finished the gauntlet by drinking from a bag of wine.

This rapid intoxication had a profound and dangerous effect on his motor skills, causing him to slip while descending the staircase to the basement of the Beta house and trying to get around girls sitting on the staircase. The effects of intoxication would have rendered him unable to stop or react to the damage of the fall, even if he had sensed the danger.

The initial fall knocked Timothy unconscious requiring 4 fraternity members to carry him to a couch upstairs. Surveillance cameras captured the formation of a large bruise on his left abdomen, which given the relatively distant placement of the camera, would have made the injury unmistakably present to the people carrying him. He was then placed on a couch until he regained consciousness, his injuries causing concern to a newly initiated brother who feared Timothy was severely injured. The brother tried to convince fellow fraternity members that Timothy could have a concussion and needed immediate medical help, but was ignored.

Some time later, Piazza regained consciousness and rolled off the couch. Three brothers in the general area picked him up and "slammed" him back onto the couch. Security footage revealed brothers slapping him in the face, punching him in the stomach and pouring beer on him in order to initiate a response from Piazza. However, Piazza remained unconscious and unresponsive. He rolled off the couch again and curled his body, clutching his abdomen.

In the early morning of February 3, 2017, Piazza tried to pick himself up but once he lifted into a standing position, fell backwards. He continued to pick himself up only to repeatedly fall back down. Once he was finally able to maintain balance, he staggered toward the lobby area of the house, but fell again head first into an iron railing, and landed on a stone floor, likely incurring serious head trauma. Timothy got up and tried to get to the front door but fell head first into it, being knocked unconscious yet again. He tried once more to descend the basement stairs, but fell down again, and remained at the base of the stairs, until being discovered by a number of Beta brothers several hours later behind the bar in the basement cold and breathing rapidly.

It was at this point that he was carried upstairs. After 40 minutes of debating on what the next step should be, the conclusion was made that Piazza's injuries were indeed serious, and that he would require medical attention. Before emergency assistance arrived, the brothers wiped blood from his face and attempted to dress him, however Piazza's body was too rigid to successfully put clothes on. Roughly twelve hours after his initial fall, emergency services were summoned but not informed that the fall had occurred the night before. Piazza was brought to Mount Nittany Medical center, but was quickly transported to Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center due to the severity of his injuries.

Upon arrival, Piazza was rushed into surgery, where he was discovered to have a ruptured spleen and class IV hemorrhagic shock. His brain had swelled to the point that roughly half of his skull had to be removed to relieve the pressure. The surgeons attempting to save Timothy's life deemed the injuries to likely be nonrecoverable, and Timothy was pronounced dead in the early morning of February 4, 2017. Piazza is estimated to have had a blood alcohol content (BAC) of nearly .40 on the night of the hazing incident.

And sure, why not, it has a football connection:

That same day, defense attorneys for a number of the defendants started to put blame on Tim Bream, the Penn State Nittany Lions football head athletic trainer and Beta Theta Pi live-in advisor. He was present during the night of Tim Piazza's bid acceptance, although he has never been charged in the case. After unsuccessful attempts by attorneys to have Tim Bream subpoenaed, the judge in the case ordered that Tim Bream have his own hearing on possible contempt of court and avoiding his subpoena.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lie In Pride!

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WE ARE...COMPLICIT!

russ repped this.
  21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Penn State has drinkers. I live in Pennsylvania. You live in New Jersey. Where did you go to college.

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have a good football team this year.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Been playing my old NCAA 2008. I just now realized that EA Sports removed an entire national championship team (the 1967 USC Trojans) from its Classic selection because of one man. Can someone who's bought a version of this game since 2011 tell me if anything's happened to the Penn State teams whose defenses were led by Jerry Sandusky? 'Cause Jerry was convicted.

Chesco United repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the only thing that matters.

stanger and yossarian repped this.
  25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't play no video games. I'm a grown ass man. Just goes to show, valedictorians can be child molesters, too.