Penn State 2016

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by dmthomas49, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They shared the BIG10 title and have a high RPI...I think they will be fine to get in...how far they go is a completely different question.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Oh, Penn State will definitely make it in.
    They are a name brand.

Wisconsin got the shaft last year.
    Winning a regular season conference title in a Power Six conference in Women's Soccer should mean something.
    (ACC, Pac 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, WCC).

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #78 Cliveworshipper, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

No. winning a share of the B1G just wasn't as big a deal as some thought. If they had topped the conference going in that would have been a different story.

In conferences with a tournament, winning the auto bid allows lesser teams a chance in. But if they fail, it reverts to the season results for selection. That's largely governed by RPI and head to head results.

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Day Thread- 11/11/16

Teams - Conference (Overall record):
    PENN STATE - Big 10 Conf. (11-4-4)
    BUCKNELL - Patriot League (16-1-2)

Time: 6:00 p.m.
    Place: Jeffrey Field at University Park, PA
    Video: www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=541863
    Gametracker: www.gopsusports.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wsoccer.html?event=1501751&school=psu&sport=wsoccer&camefrom=&startschool=&

NITTANY NOTES:
    • Penn State has a record of 10-2-3 in its last 15 matches
    • Penn State and Bucknell have met 19 times overall, which includes two times in the NCAA Tournament
    • Eight Nittany Lions garnered postseason honors from the Big Ten
    • 2016 marks Penn State’s 22nd-straight NCAA Tournament
    • Penn State clinched a share of its 18th Big Ten regular season title
    • The Nittany Lions own a record of 36-6-1 at Jeffrey Field in the NCAA Tournament
    • Junior Frannie Crouse ranks 15th in points all-time at PSU with 76 (33g, 10a)
    • The Nittany Lion defense has allowed one goal or less in 15 of 19 games this season
    • The Penn State defense has recorded eight shutouts in the past 14 games
    • Six Nittany Lions are slated to compete in the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup
    • Junior Megan Schafer became the 22nd Nittany Lion to tally 20 career goals on Sept. 9

BUCKNELL BISON NOTES:
    • The Bucknell women’s soccer team travels to Penn State for an NCAA Tournament first-round game on Friday night. While the Nittany Lions earned an at-large bid into the 64-team field, the Bison captured the Patriot League’s automatic bid.
    • Bucknell is making its third NCAA Tournament appearance, and were on a mission this year after losing in the Patriot League Championship game in 2015. The Bison won the regular title for the fifth time in program history, posting a league record on 8-1-0 to earn the No. 1 seed.
    The Bison are 0-2 all-time in NCAA games.
    • In the Patriot League Tournament, Bucknell earned the right to host, while receiving a quarterfinal bye. The Bison advanced to their second straight championship game after defeating sixth-seeded Lafayette in the semifinals. Bucknell scored two goals in the first half, which held up for the 2-0 win. In the final against No. 2 seed and three-time defending champion Boston University, Bucknell took a 1-0 lead in the second half but the Terriers quickly answered, scoring 30 seconds later, but Cora Climo’s golden goal gave them a 2-1 win.
    • This week Bucknell is receiving 11 votes in the NSCAA national coaches’ poll, and the Bison are ranked first in the NSCAA Mid-Atlantic Region poll.

5. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Final Penn State 6 - Bucknell 0. Good starting result. Too late to change my second round results?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you change?

7. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I believe that the Lions have a good chance against Virginia!⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have more hope than I do.
    I picked Virginia.
    I know, I'm a horrible Penn State fan, but they really let me down in several matches this year.

9. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Of course this post was after 2 glasses of wine at my in-laws....

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.