Penn State 2016

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by dmthomas49, Jan 15, 2016.

1. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    New thread completed for 2016. Looking forward to another great year of soccer for the Nittany Lions!

2. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a fan of the PSU Women's Volleyall program since 2012 and I'm a member of a forum dedicated solely to that team: http://forum.dignittanyvolleyball.com/ (and http://volleytalk.proboards.com/) As you may or may not know, the PSU Women's VB team has won 7 National Championships (1999, 2007-2010, and 2013-2014).

I've been posting some off-topic material there about the PSU Women's Soccer team, which I'm an even bigger fan of, but only now discovered this forum. I've been looking for such a board which is dedicated to soccer and I'm hoping that this is the ONLY place to watch regarding all things PSU Women's Soccer.

I was reading up on the "Penn State 2015" thread and was looking for a thread for 2016. Thanks for getting one started. It seems to me that this PSU team is young, talented, and hungry. I see another National Championship for PSU in the next 2 years.

3. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 8MiLLeNiuM, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Two Nittany Lions Enroll Early -- Amanda Dennis & Emma Hasco joined the Penn State women’s soccer program Monday

Jan. 11, 2016
    Head coach Erica Walsh welcomed a pair of student-athletes to the Penn State women’s soccer program Monday, as the spring semester at Penn State has begun. Amanda Dennis (Palmetto, Fla.) and Emma Hasco (Upper St. Clair, Pa.) are now enrolled in classes and are eligible to participate in spring practice.

“We're excited to welcome Amanda Dennis and Emma Hasco into the Penn State women’s soccer family,” Walsh said. “We had the opportunity to work with both players in our summer camp environment and were extremely impressed with their work ethic and team-first attitudes.”

Amanda Dennis
    Goalkeeper | 6-0 | Palmetto, Fla. | Slammers FC

BEFORE PENN STATE
    Played varsity soccer, freshman year, for Murrieta Valley High School…Played for the Cal South Olympic Development Program (ODP) and won two national championships (2013-14) with the ’98 age group…Ranked as the No. 2 goalkeeper, No. 10 regionally (Southern California) and No. 38 overall in the 2016 class by TopDrawerSoccer…Brings a great amount of national team experience to Penn State…A member of the U-14, U-15, U-17, U-18 and U-20 U.S. Women’s National Teams…Trained with the U-20 U.S. Women’s National Team in Sept. 2015…2015 NSCAA All-American.

PERSONAL
    Amanda Marie Dennis was born on May 25, 1998, in San Diego, California…Parents are Melissa and Mike Rouse…Siblings are Emily, Michael, and Nick…Kinesiology major.

WHY I CHOSE PENN STATE
    “I chose Penn State because of the incredible coaching staff, the amazing soccer program, the high level academics, and the family-like environment.”

COACH WALSH ON Amanda Dennis
    “Amanda brings a wealth of international experience to a program with a rich goalkeeping tradition.”

Emma Hasco
    Midfielder | 5-8 | Upper St. Clair, Pa. | Upper St. Clair HS/Beadling Soccer Club

BEFORE PENN STATE
    Played high school soccer at Upper St. Clair…Scored both goals in a 2-1 victory in the 2015 PIAA State championship match for Upper St. Clair…Individual honors include: 2015 Pennsylvania State, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Tribune Review, and The Almanac Player of the Year…Three-time all-district honoree…Named all-WPIAL three times…Two-time all-state member...Two-time regional All-American…2015 NSCAA All-American…Played club soccer for Beadling Soccer Club…2014 USYS National Championship Best XI…Led her team to the 2014 Region II Championship…Six-time State Cup champions.

PERSONAL
    Emma Margot Hasco was born on Nov. 3, 1997, in Plano, Texas…Parents are Michael and Buffy Hasco…Has two sisters, Sophie and Grace…Business marketing major.

WHY I CHOSE PENN STATE
    “Between the strong academics, beautiful campus, top soccer program, and world-class coaches, I knew it couldn’t get any better than Penn State.”

COACH WALSH ON Emma Hasco
    “Emma will be an excellent addition to our extremely talented midfield and has the ability to take over a match with her leadership and presence.”

4. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other recruits does PSU have coming in for the 2016 season besides Amanda Dennis & Emma Hasco? Also, any info regarding PSU recruits who have verballed for 2017 & 2018?

5. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 Spring Schedule
    March 26 -- at Maryland SoccerPlex vs Washington Spirit -- 4 p.m.
    April 2 -- Western New York Flash - Time TBD
    April 10 -- Duquesne -- 3 p.m. (Jeffrey Field)
    April 14 -- Bucknell -- 4 p.m. (Jeffrey Field)

Penn State heads to Boyds, Md., for a showdown against the Washington Spirit. The match against the Washington Spirit will take place at the Maryland SoccerPlex on March 26 at 4 p.m. When the Nittany Lions take to the field against the Spirit, there will be five Penn State alums on the opposing roster. Whitney Church '15, Ali Krieger '07, Joanna Lohman '04, Christine Nairn '12, and Tiffany Weimer '06 make up the Nittany Lion quintet currently playing for the Spirit.

The Nittany Lions will play another NWSL team a week later, as they face off against the Western New York Flash on April 2. The time for the Western New York Flash match at Sahlen's Stadium is TBD.

The Nittany Lions close out their spring schedule with a pair of contests at Jeffrey Field. Penn State returns home for a Sunday afternoon (April 10) match against Duquesne at 3 p.m. and the final match of the spring season for the Nittany Lions is a 4 p.m. match against the Bucknell Bison on April 14.

6. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Penn State has 5 of the 22 players on the roster for the upcoming LaManga event in which the US U20s will play against 3 U23 teams. Specifically, the US U20 WNT will play U23 Sweden on March 2, U23 England on March 4, and U23 Norway on March 6.

Roster for La Manga event:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Rose Chandler (Penn State; Atlanta, Ga.), Casey Murphy (Rutgers; Bridgewater, N.J.) 

DEFENDERS (9): Alana Cook (Stanford; Far Hills, N.J.), Maddie Elliston (Penn State; Omaha, Neb.), Emily Fox (FC Virginia; Ashburn, Va.), Natalie Jacobs (Notre Dame; Coto de Caza, Calif.), Ellie Jean (Penn State; Coventry, Conn.), Tegan McGrady (Stanford; San Jose, Calif.), Taylor Otto (North Carolina; Apex, N.C.), Kaleigh Riehl (Penn State; Fairfax Station, Va.), Michelle Xiao (Stanford; Omaha, Neb.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Savannah DeMelo (Beach FC; Bellflower, Calif.), Jordan Dibiasi (Stanford; Littleton, Colo.), Kelcie Hedge (Washington; Post Falls, Idaho), Emily Ogle (Penn State; Strongsville, Ohio), Courtney Petersen (Virginia; Canton, Mich.), Parker Roberts (Kansas; Leawood, Kan.), Mikaela Harvey (Texas A&M; Liberty Hill, Texas)

FORWARDS (4): Mimi Asom (Princeton; Fairview, Texas), Taylor Racioppi (Duke; Ocean Township, N.J.), Jessie Scarpa (North Carolina; Lakeland, Fla.), Ally Watt (Texas A&M; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  7. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six members of the Penn State women’s soccer team will travel to La Manga, Spain, for the 2016 La Manga Tournament. Five Nittany Lions will represent the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team, while one new Penn Stater will play for the U.S. Under-18 Women’s National Team. The tournament runs from Feb. 27-March 7.
    Amanda Dennis (Palmetto, Fla.), a 6'0" GK, joins the U.S. Under-18 Women’s National Team.

8. lionwatcher70

lionwatcher70 New Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    2016 starts on the field tomorrow with Pitt scrimmage. Many balls in the air for PSU with so many players in the running for U20 World Cup, which would presumably sideline them for college season.

9. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
  10. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    I saw Pitt very excited about the result but has since deleted the tweet?

11. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Yeah I was surprised because the postings were going on during the game. I actually spoke to one of their coaches about it after the game. They were trying to figure out who had been posting the results. Apparently and there was someone not affiliated to their staff at the game updating the results via twitter. The Pitt SID picked up on it and posted it. The Pitt staff asked them to remove it once they found out it was up. They didn't seem excited about the result under the circumstances. They appeared to be very reserve after the game

12. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was the result of that game?

13. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Spring results are irrelevant. Penn State has no seniors plus no NT players....a lot of good players gone. The bottom of the PSU roster isn't good enough to play with a lower ACC team that was treating it like a WC final. It is what it is.

14. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Its funny you say that. I was at the game. I saw two college teams trying to compete and play some quality soccer. I didn't notice any extra celebrations from the players or coaches. So I am a bit confused by the WC final comment. Everyone new Penn State were missing some of their key players.

15. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Result please. Humor me.

16. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Don't remember :)

Gilmoy repped this.
  17. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  18. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  19. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn State vs Washington Spirit - Saturday March 26, 2016

PSU Starting XI: Basinger, Elliston, Ball, Crouse, Williams, Jean, Echard, Ortega-Jurado, Williford, Driesse, Chandler

31' PSU Subs: Ogle replaces Williford and Schafer replaces Crouse

38' PSU sub: Knaub replaces Echard

42' PSU sub: Vink-Lainas replaces Ortega-Jurado

HT: WAS 0 - 0 PSU

47' GOALLLLLL Dunn knocks the ball into the back of the net. Assisted by Williams.

72' PSU’s Dennis makes a save. Dennis denies Ordega's 1v1 opportunity. Ordega's follow-up shot goes off post

73' Nairn scores from a free kick opportunity with a low driven shot that just curls beyond Dennis and into the net
    VIDEO:

77' All 5 PSU alums are now on the field for the Spirit

FT: WAS 2 - 0 PSU Goals from Crystal Dunn and Christine Nairn

Photo: Penn State players, past and present

PSU Alum on Washington Spirit squad
    Photo: http://www.instagram.com/p/BDayDXwIynQ/

21. WoSoNut

WoSoNut New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    U-20 World Cup 2016

5 Penn Staters in U-20 camp, all regulars. If all 5 make the roster what does that mean for the team's upcoming season? That's the core of the defense...

[​IMG]

22. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see a repeat National Championship happening. Too bad for PSU, but I'm happy for the girls to get a chance at winning a U-20 WWC.

23. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
  24. WoSoNut

WoSoNut New Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  25. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It will be interesting to see who will be redshirted. Several player already refused to do it. Therefore, if the final team will look like inferior, other players might do the same. It is not an easy decision. I agree with Anson that this decision not necessarily helps player development.