Pele or Maradona?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by eraro2001, Jan 10, 2005.

1. the_hand_of_god

the_hand_of_god New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Another thing ...

Diego's adiction is IRRELEVANT ...

I always saw Diego training very very very hard ... he was responsible .... and so focused like nobody ...

2. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    yes i suppose you were out there on the practice field with him, trading moves :rolleyes:

3. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    1988-89 Napoli won the first international trophy, the UEFA Cup, going through defeating PAOK (1-0, 1-1), Lokomotiv Leipzig (1-1, 2-0), Bordeaux (1-0, 0-0), Juventus Turin (0-2, 3-0 a.e.t.- goal by Renica on the 119th minute with a header- simply unbelievable), Bayern Munich (2-0, 2-2) and Stuttgart (2-1, 3-3). A memorable cup won thanks to Diego Maradona, thanks to the great Brazilian striker Antonio Careca, thanks to Ricardo Alemao...; 1989-90 marked the victory of the second Scudetto. Napoli played a great championship, especially at home, where the club made 33 points out of 34 (16 victories, 1 draw, 0 defeats)

http://www.vivadiego.com/sscnap.html

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    No offense but that is fairly ludicrous. The UEFA Cup was a more prestigious competition back then, but Napoli were never "the best team in the world".

When Spurs won the UEFA Cup in 1984 were we the best team in the world? Do me a favour.

5. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    so in one year winning the UFEA cup and making 33 points out of 34 with no loses. is nothing??

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    They weren't in one year though were they? They were two separate seasons.

Anyway, Milan won back to back European cups in those two years and got a total of three points less than you over two years. They were the better club.

7. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No they won the UFEA cup and Scudetto in the same year.

But we are comparing Pele's Santos to Maradona's Napoli not Milan

8. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    neither of those two sides were the best in the world, even though Pele's Santos was certainly close. if you want best sides look at 71-73 Ajax,74-76 Bayern Munich 77-78 liverpool, 89-90 milan,

9. Ricardao

Ricardao New Member

Sep 6, 2003
    PraiaGrande,SPBRASIL
    Soo many times this argument has been mouthed on many stages.

Although I will say I loved watching Maradona play ( unless it was against Brasil ) I also dont think he was the best Argentinian ever, i truly think steph was better.

As for O Rei, How can this ever be an argument Santos was unbeatable adn PELE was magical.

No one can touch what O Rei has done in futebol. PELE is and will always be what every player is measured by.

10. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    how can you say 89-90 milan when they didn't even win the Scudetto that year?
    Napoli
    2 "Scudetti" Italian Championships (1986-87, 1989-90)
    3 Coppa Italia (1961-62, 1975-76, 1986-87)
    1 Supercoppa Italiana (1990-91)
    1 UEFA Cup (1989-90)

11. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    because, as was pointed out in a previous post, they won the champions league both those years (The PREMIER tournament), were runners up in the scudetto in 90, were a total of three points behind Napoli in the serie A those years, and won the scudetto 3 years straight afterwards.

12. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    so the best milan teams were 3 years after 89-90 ;)

13. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    i think being european champion 2 years in a row makes them the better side

14. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    shut up, your full of s h i t .
    Maradona WILL always be god of the sport.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pele is THE legend of the sport. I never knew anything about football my entire life, nor did I care until 3 years ago, but I always knew who Pele was and how amazing he was!!!

Simple explaination:

Maradona is A legend of football.

Pele is THE legend of football.

16. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

well said!

let these fools think that maradona was the greatest, but they all know who the true king of football is

17. the_hand_of_god

the_hand_of_god New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    OK ... very good ... this statement legitimizes your opinion ...

I think you need some logical lessons:
    2 + 2 = 5 => i am an ignorant

18. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah let these fools think Pele was the "greatest".

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good to see you two agree on that issue.

20. EMERSON MARKS

EMERSON MARKS New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    HAMPSHIRE
    One cannot ignore that Pele is still thought of so highly today.

But Look at Zidane. He has received much praise, football pundits say he's up there with Diego & Pele.

Or is he in fact, not even the best French player ever, maybe Platini would have something to say about that.

Maradona's evil genius is an engrossing story. His performances in '86 in Mexico cannot be ignored.

Look at them today. One of them is fat as a house; the other appears on adverts about erection problems.

21. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    How consistant was Maradona? Consistancy is something that is easily overlooked. Everyone remembers the great moments and forgets the low moments.

And would it be going too far to say that the Pele and Maradona were in too different eras, too different to really compare in accurate detail? Maybe Pele didn't have to face defenders that were nearly as good as they have been since the 1980s... or maybe Pele could have been even better, given the advance in knowledge of training and pyhsiology (sp.) in the years following his prime.

22. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yeah the "greatest" averaged more than a goal per game vs. your Serie A sides in the 38 matches he faced off against you guys, believe that.

23. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah but Pele was never a 1 man squad was he??

24. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yeah, neither was Maradona. Giordino, Careca & Alemao also played for Napoli.

25. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    thats right..........pele was better common u guys know this