PDL team in Honolulu, Hawaii??

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by hairynippleman, Jan 31, 2014.

1. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    I heard there's some folks looking at starting a PDL franchise in Honolulu, Hawaii... anyone hear that? Any thoughts on it? Good, bad?

2. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    rumor has it that some folks in Hawaii are looking at starting a PDL team. i heard that they are looking at focusing the team on just picking players with ties to hawaii... ie current hawaii college players or guys who played in high school there...

would the pdl even allow a hawaii franchise with travel costs the way they are?

anyone else in hawaii heard of this? or think there'd be strong community support??

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, that would be even worse than Bermuda.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worse than Bermuda. Hope whoever's doing it has a lot of money for airfare.

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they're welcome to try, but travel costs would be a major problem. and i have no idea how strong community support would be

hairynippleman repped this.
  6. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    you know, i think with the airfare, you have a point. i know people in hawaii love their soccer though and despite hawaii's small population they actually produce a reasonable amount of talent.

back in the '80's there was a semi pro league in hawaii comprised of all local hawaii players.

you think the PDL would be interested in a Winter League for college players on break in Hawaii? Kind of like Hawaii Winter Baseball back in the '90's... that was really popular in hawaii for a wihle. maybe a months worth of games for 4 to 6 teams... maybe the MLS reserve teams would be interested? any NCAA limitations on playing over winter break?

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Soccere seems to be popular in the 50th state but one PDL team would be too costly. Now if they could have 5 or 6 PDL francises throughout the cities and islands in Hawaii it would be a regional division.
    Each team making one trip to the mainland for a week to 10 days and play 3 matches out of division.
    They have 5 Universities one DI and 4 DII so there are players on the Island along with those who may be attending school on the mainland could come back to the Islands for the summer know they will have a PDL conference to play in

8. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    nice away game to go too lol. They would have to pay air fairs to both teams so that would meat that they would need big crowds. Id like to see it but cant bet on it being a success.

9. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    do you guys think the PDL would be interested in having a whole division in hawaii? what are they looking for? how invested are they in ensuring teams succeed? what kind of support do they offer?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is some high-quality, cross-posted trolling right here.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It would be intersting to see it would be a link to the far East/Asian countires internationals.
    Would it be worth it to have a w-league as well. As the Women's countries have high international rankings Japan Soth Korea, Aussie.
    Besides college sports I don't beleive they have any post HS pro or PDL typwpe leagues in any sport
    population is 1.4 million

12. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    how is this trolling? i posted it in two places.... it's a genuine post / question.... i posted it twice because i posted the first one and then i saw a more appropriate area so i posted it again.

i dont see what the harm is on the question.

13. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    you know... hawaii hosted that pacific soccer tournament a couple times with teams from korea, japan, australia and mls at aloha stadium... this proposed PDL team could be a nice link to Asia... maybe be able to bring more teams over....

hawaii has not had any pro or semi pro sports teams over a consistent time period. hawaii has had winter baseball (minor league guys) and hawaii tsunami (USISL) and a few different arena football teams... but nothing has really ever stuck. i'm guessing because of the travel.

If you could build a semi-pro soccer league in house though so travel is kept to a minimum i think it has the population and soccer community to support it. maybe hawaii could host more tournaments like the one stated up above or a combination of USL / NASL / MLS with several teams representing hawaii.

it's a great venue for soccer and the weather is such that you could play in the winter... which i think is a really big selling point. a great thing for the pre-season type tournaments.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely to happen. Although the NCAA only limits team practice outside the season, keep in mind that winter baseball only works because baseball teams play almost every day. Winter break just isn't long enough to play anything more than 4-5 games, and even that many is a stretch. That's not a league, that's a mini-tournament with teams that would be thrown together with only a few days for players to get familiar with each other.

15. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    how long is winter break? 3 to 4 weeks?

so maybe not a league.. but a month long tournament... Hawaii PDL Winter Soccer Challenge .... has a nice ring to it, huh?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's ridiculous. You may as well ask about a Mars colony.

A PDL team would have to spend $11,000 just to get to Honolulu, and that's if they can get themselves to LAX. And a PDL team in Hawaii would either have to have a travel budget of $50,000 or more, or make one trip to the mainland and play all eight of their road games in a row. PDL teams don't have that kind of money. That's why they're in the PDL.

manoa and oneeyedfool repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hasn't been a USL team in Hawaii since the Tsunami in 1997 and they drew 421 people a game.

You're either trolling - if you're just taking the piss - or you're serious, in which case you're just out of your mind.

18. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    fair enough... but we've moved on from this... look at other post.....

Hawaii Winter PDL Soccer Challenge

it's a mini league / tournament during winter break... comprised of local hawaii players playing against other USL, MLS, foreign teams... only travel one time.... no back and forth throughout long season...

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pan-Pacific Championships and Hawaiian Islands Invitational. Both underwhelming.

USL teams aren't going to fly to Hawaii, either. MLS teams aren't going to regroup on winter break.

Get Japanese teams and knock yourself out.

20. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    well... teams did back when the hawaii tsunami were around.....

21. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    This sounds about right possibly add a few teams from Asia like Chiva/Korea/Japan as they play a summer league too and have bigger average crowds than most mls teams. There can be the Orlando challenge/ Tuscon diamond cup and a aloha tournament.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Could also be a great destination for college age playes from the Far east and Aussie who may want to look for a chance to play in the NCAA and a nice scouting detination for coaches.
    Also could really raise the level of the DIIColleges and UH to have those interantional players right there playing PDL with players from their school

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posting random question threads by process of copy/paste in hopes that someone responds is spamming. Threads merged.

kenntomasch repped this.
  24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...you just named MLS franchise #24.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+