PBP Thread: Match #6, Uruguay vs. Russia, 25 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Yoshou, Jun 14, 2018.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, its not 5-10 years ago. But they are well suited to lots of stops, chippy play. They don't even need to be the 'aggressors.' It doesn't mess them up like other teams who prefer rhythms. They dont mind short spurts and disruption.

cabezamagica repped this.
  2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    so i was right afterall about russia being overrated. their first 2 games, the result was inflated as a result of the piss poor level of their opponents. they played against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the world cup.

did russia rest many starters today?

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia rested around 5 of their starters.

kennytt repped this.
  4. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‪I think this is the most unpredictable World cup I have ever watched‬

5. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smart move, anyway. Uruguay looks like they want to prove something

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    And yet Uruguay struggled a lot more against those "2 of the 3 worst teams in the cup". Not necessarily disagreeing with the assessment that Russia became a little too overrated, but I also don't want to take away credit for comprehensively winning their first two games.

7. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #82 tudobem62014, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    It’s way better to be in second place for them. They get to play in Moscow 3/4 ko rounds. 80000 Russian fans descend upon you. Their numbers will blot out the sun.

I predict Portugal finishes first in group B. Regardless Russia will have their way with the winner of Group B in Moscow this weekend.

8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1011359746576838658 is not a valid tweet id

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    dude russia is going to get raped against spain.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  11. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    No they will not..

you really dont think Putin has a say in some of this? defeat can be accepted. Humiliation will not.

If spain get up by 2 goals.. they will most certainly take their foot off the pedal if they feel they are in control of the game..

12. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Spain have been far from exceptional this WC, but don't see them spanking Russia. One or two goals at most I feel.

13. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Technique wise sure. But Russia is gonna butcher them physically. They were just resting today so they can go to Moscow. Do not underestimate Russia on their homeland. Trust me they have a history of this.

14. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Political history or sports history?

A Russian team was taken apart without any gas pedal being throttled: 3 goals against, 1 red card at minute 36 (2-0), 3rd goal scored at minute 90.

All of that under Putin's gaze.

Hopefully, Russian players won't resort to violent play against Spain.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is different. This is very likely Tabarez's last World Cup, his last cycle.

Oscar Tabarez has been a coach in the old-fashioned tradition, 12 years in control and with close ties to his players, who adore him. The "tata" tradition, where the NT coach is like a father figure ("tata" is a Spanish word meaning more or less "daddy," probably influenced by the Quechua "taita," dad).

But Tabarez is 71 and everything comes to an end. He's had a great run with Uruguay, you never see these days a manager accomplish so much for such a long time.

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Not sure where you get that Tabarez is a paternalistic figure in the Uruguayan squad.

As far as I have seen, Tabarez keeps such patronizing management out of his system.

Never heard an Uruguayan player refer to that coach in such colloquial manner. Always referred to respectfully, as "professor Tabarez".

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's part of it. Respect. When you respect your coach, you stick to his discipline.

It's not paternalistic in the micromanaging style it's understood here. It's the old-fashioned thing, when you kept your distance to your father and knew the way to earn his love was doing the right thing at the right time.

I guess you need to be part of the culture to get it.

18. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Nah, no need to be a native to assume that such patronizing coaching style in Uruguay.

This ain't Scolari's theater school.