PBP Thread: Match #5, Saudi Arabia vs. Egypt, 25 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Yoshou, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the first PK was fairly solid. Defender making himself bigger by holding out an arm, and it gets hit by the cross. That's modestly textbook.

The second one was soft, and the VAR thought the award was "clearly and obviously" wrong, which ought to give a hint to Roldan.

zahzah repped this.
  2. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    [​IMG]

Second miracle of this world cup happened. Saudi Arabia scored! First miracle was Panama's goal.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I correct in believing that Egypt have never won a World Cup match before so this would be a first I guess. Surprised to see the stadium as full as it is, Volgograd was a pain in the ass to get to and to find accommodation for.

4. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give credits to both teams...They play like there's no tomorrow...

5. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Excellent job on the Saudis, stealing another win for Asia.

6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Saudis might have just gotten a winner at the death. The goal stands!

FT: 2-1.

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I'm not watching the game but statistics say only one shot by Egypt on target. I was completely right about Egypt being one of the three four weakest sides in this World Cup. Losing to Saudi Arabia says it all.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #33 persianfootball, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    this is the crappiest egypt side i ever saw. wtf happened to egypt.. all those years they didnt even quality for the world cup they could have easily qualified to the 2nd round... they always had a strong team. this egypt team is on par with saudi and panama. wtf happened to them. egypt also played tactically [mod removed word]... they completely allowed saudi to play their game/play to their strength with no resistance or counter tactic whatsoever. they come to the world cup after all this time for this? i feel sorry for salah. it is like giggs with wales. if salah had a decent team he could be on cronaldo and messis level. well he surpassed messi so far this world cup.

i think group A is the weakest group in world cup history in terms of which 2 teams advance. i believe any other team in any other group, aside from panama, would have qualified if they were in this group instead of uruguay or russia. what a farce.

9. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
  10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Egypt was really poor. As much as I hate the Saudis, they deserved to win this match. And I agree: Egypt was the weakest CAF side in this tournament and one of the weakest teams in Russia. The fact that they were outplayed by crappy Saudi Arabia just showed it.

Tom Collingsworth and Christina99 repped this.
  11. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    they completely allowed saudi to play to their strength. saudis game is all flash and no end result... it is so easy to disrupt their game.. as we saw an average russia side win 5-0 even though saudi had more of the ball and put together more passes. but egypt just bent over and let saudi toy with them. very disappointing.

saudi still did their damage and embarrassed AFC though. this win will never make up for that.

zahzah repped this.
  12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree.

13. nooshcat

nooshcat Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Saudi Arabia for their first win at the World Cup for 24 years.

Tom Collingsworth and zahzah repped this.
  14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    And Egypt still waits...

And the Iran guys were right :)

15. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    People made fun of Saudi Arabia when they lost to Russia 0-5. But they weren't that bad after all. The Uruguay game was OK too. Congrats Saudi Arabia.

Tom Collingsworth and hammad_friend repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Saudi Arabia is Saudi Arabia. You let them pass the ball around, do their rehearsed plays, and don't press them much, and they can look fine. Press them and prevent them from playing their game, and they are rubbish.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  17. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair Saudi Arabia deserve that, much the better team in the second half and quite frankly Egypt have had a poor tournament given that they have a number of players who play at the highest level

18. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    "Rehearsed"
    It pricks you that our players can pass and dribble.

The sourest of grapes

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    No the first one wasn't a penalty either in my book. Ball to arm, the guy crossing was very close to the defender, and its not like his arm was completely outstretched. It was simply a natural position when you are running around.

20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Saudi Arabia definitely wanted it more and deserved in on basis of the 2nd half. The 2 penalties were still comical though, Egypt could have put SA away after they scored that first goal, but were far too casual with some really good chances in the first half.

Very poor from Egypt to be honest. I don't think they ever recovered mentally from that opening day defeat to Uruguay at virtually the last minute. Same thing again today.

21. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And Panama conceded two pens because they thought they were still in Concacaf.

You guys should update your rule books.

22. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Congrats to Saudi Arabia. They just need to control their nerves at the world stage.
    Beating EGYPT with literally no stars in their team is an achievement itself.
    And holding off Uruguay to one goal and playing while fasting against Russia (according to some posts).

In order for them to compete at the world stage, they need to send their players to Europe to gain experience. Hope they start doing that immediately.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It was the last day of Ramadan. They ended fasting right after the game.

sahbekham_pactwinner repped this.
  24. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Then props to Saudi Arabia for fasting and still playing the way they did.

25. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1011291181211443201 is not a valid tweet id