PBP Thread: Match #30, England vs Panama, 24 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 23, 2018.

1. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Hmm i think
    Russia-Portugal
    France-Nigeria/Argentina
    Brazil-Germany
    England-Senegal/Colombia
    Spain-Uruguay
    Croatia-Denmark
    Mexico-Switzerland
    Japan-Belgium

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But if we had qualified we would have been stuck with the same people in charge and therefor would have had the same group playing at the WC that we endured throughout qualifying. I doubt there wound have even been one change, barring injury, from the group that were called for the final qualifiers. We would have gone three and out just like Panama.

Also, if we had qualified I doubt the "kids" would get the chances they will get now.

But all that is not really what this thread is about.

The group is pretty much done and those that will advance pretty much deserve to and those that are going home deserve that as well.

3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I totally disagree with your post. The only thing wrong with the USA was poor coaching (Klinsmann/Arena) and their insistence on playing too old, fading stars as well as marginal players. That is why we're not there and if they had got in under Arena, yes... we probably would have bombed out.

Looking forward, we were tied by a French team that is in the WC... no small feat. IF we stick with the youth movement, we'll be back next cycle. That all comes down to the coach selected. It's imperative that Ernie continues the youth movement and selects a coach that is committed to that. If this is done, we may be in a good position to join Mexico in the next WC and make a big splash. There is no way we lose to England 6-1 with our kids

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But, if we had qualified we would have gone to the WC with the same old staff and the same old players and the same old attitude and we lose to just about anyone we meet there and we lose badly to the better teams.

The only way just about any of the players that tied France (a really meaningless result) play in this WC if we had qualified is if there were a LARGE number of injuries to the core we already had. If the top of the organization is not changed, as it would not have been if we qualified, the body will not change either.