PBP Thread: Match #16, Colombia vs Japan, 19 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    and where do you place Uruguay on that emotional strength scale?

Known for scraping up good results at the tail end of matches, while also recurring to butchery when a loss is imminent.

Seems that your European soil hypothesis falls into a false dichotomy.

If we had 3/4/5-0 blowouts in this first round, then generalization about mental fortitude would have more appeal. Current data does not point in that direction, though.

2. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    I saw that match as well.

Just addressing a hyperbole from another fan, who claimed multiple Iranians "were all over the ball" that Bouhaddouz played into his net.

I guess this is what happens when Iranian fans keep hyping up their squad on WC threads unrelated to Iran.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany were always going to lose against that revved up, fearless Mexico.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Japan had a lot of Brazilian influence in the 80s and 90s, when they were developing their style, and it shows.

The current Brazilian coach, Tite, almost became Japan's coach right before the 2014 WC.

Guinho, Paul Calixte and KAPIJXM repped this.
  5. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Stupid and obvious penalty by Sanchez. He is definitely praying his team advances, right now. Unfortunately for him, Colombians take their players' WC gaffes just a little too seriously.

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The point is he got to the ball with the space to make a clearance asked of a professional footballer. He didn’t, and it is an awful error.

7. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    The problem is that the Saudis have been embarrasing Asia the last few world cups so the perception is that most Asians teams are of the same caliber.

Realisticly, i dont think Japan or any asian team for that matter is close to the talent level Europe or South America has but they have certainly closed the gap.

Japan is a great example of Asians teams should run their organization and teams. They develop good deciplined players.

Iran is another example in the last two world cups. Despite the exit they've played pretty decent and organized for the most part.

Saudi has some talent that translate in Asian football but their players are very amaturish in nature and lack exposure.

They still have the same extreme inferiorty mindset that older Asians teams used to have and its never gonna change unless they decide letting their citizens run the show. Instead they get a normal citizen to fix their FA, get them to the world cup and procceed to Fire the people reponsible to get there..The president, the coach etc so that some whacko Royal ( yes turki al clown is practiclly royalty) can take over and get the credit.

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Since when is Saudi Arabia in Asia?

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if serious...

Boloni86 and soccernutter repped this.
  10. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Since always I guess :ROFLMAO:

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    great observation. Something happened after 2012-2014 where colombia looked like a sunday pickup team. it really showed in the 2015 copa america and has continued thereafter. we show no signs of possession play and have a tough time stringing multiple passes together. we rely more on long balls and less on short/quick passes into open space.

it's quite sad really that we have players like Carlos Bacca on the team, yet he has only lived up to a fraction of what people see at Villareal.

12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Japan's has played pretty even with the second tier from Europe and South America for decades. In fact, going back to 1998, they're 2-2-2 at the group stage, and 2-3-4 overall, with losses to Turkey (finished third) and Croatia (finished third) in the R16. They finished ahead of Belgium (2-2) and Russia(beat them 1-0) in 2002, ahead of Denmark in 2010, beating them 3-1. Drew with Greece in 2014 (the only European team they faced.) and lost to colombia 4-1. They went out to eventual third place team Turkey in 2002, Drew with Paraguay and went out on Penalties in 2010, lost to Argentina 1-0 in 1998 (hardly second tier) and 1-0 to eventual third place team Croatia (who trounced Germany 3-0).

Long story short, Japan is always going to give a game to any but the big dogs in any group.

bigredfutbol, Boloni86 and Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since about the eocene, roughly 50 million years ago.

bigredfutbol and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No they don’t. People need to stop spreading around the myth that Andres was killed for the own gol. That stupid 30 for 30 didn’t help.

Guinho, kromekote, Paul Calixte and 3 others repped this.
  15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The myth makes him look better than the actual truth though.

16. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No it doesn’t.

Froboy69 repped this.
  17. leao1918

leao1918 Member

Fortaleza EC
    Brazil
    Jun 17, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've been reading through the WC threads, some pretty good discussions around here, nice community. but I gotta say this post right here takes the cake as one of the most biased I've read around here so far. There was zero indication, apart from having the better team on paper, that Colombia would've won against Japan if it was 11-vs-11. This WC is already full of upsets in a 11-vs-11 playfield. Colombia got beat fair and square, get over it, stop being a troll.

Guinho, Phillyspur and EDonEnta repped this.
  18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @monere is a very insightful poster, not a troll at all.

Your contributions are welcome too.

monere repped this.
  19. leao1918

leao1918 Member

Fortaleza EC
    Brazil
    Jun 17, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He might very well be, from what I've read in other threads (despite some complains from other people here too), but he was being very clearly obtuse about this matter in particular just to (apparently) make people angry, same with the very vocal and blatant hate on the portuguese or the racist remarks on players diving, but I guess if the mods allow that kind of behavior, it's all fine. I just think BS looks like a very positive community, maybe that's why that kind of opnion stand out as toxic or trolling.

Phillyspur repped this.
  20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It sucks but we deserved to lose. Japan earned the penalty and Sanchez was stupid for spreading his arm like that.

Honestly, us equalizing and Japan winning only by one goal was surprising. I expected for Japan to take full advantage and score a lot of goals like any team would as expected but that didn't happen until the second half.

On to the second match day boys~

Phillyspur repped this.
  21. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    The penalty changed the game. Colombia were fantastic in the first half with only 10 men but considering the weather, they were never going to be able to keep up the intensity.

Japan really struggled to control the game in the first half and sat back as a result which didn't suit them (they don't look good at the back). Whatever was said at half time worked because the Japanese kept the ball for longer periods, created a lot of problems for Colombia and eventually scored.

Having said all that, I think Colombia would have beaten Japan had they kept 11 players on the field. If they can keep 11 on the field in the next two games, they have the individuals and team structure to beat Poland and Senegal. I was very impressed with the Colombians.

22. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    KAPIJXM repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #323 Boloni86, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Here's video of Japanese fans cleaning their section of the stadium after the game. Meanwhile I can't even clean my own bedroom.

frideswide, KAPIJXM and SF19 repped this.
  24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Well I didn't expect this. Colombia looked a little lost without Yepes. When he was on the team years ago, they looked a lot more assured of themselves. Now there's less confidence in the back, especially with Ospina's star having faded after a poor spell at Arsenal.

Falcao's antics were at times distasteful, but he led his team and had a very desperate desire to win, no matter what the costs. That gave Colombia an edge and he made use of it in winning the foul that led to Colombia's goal. I think referees will be wiser to him going forward, but he's a real inspiration and leader to his teammates no less. If he had been fit for the 2014, Colombia might have spared Brazil's blushes in the semis. Now his age is showing a little bit. It's too bad.

Quintero, who showed so much promise prior to the previous World Cup, seems to be finally delivering. He played in some special passes to Falcao, who perhaps in his prime years may have had that extra half step to have made those gilt edged opportunities count for a lot more. He also scored a great goal with a clever set-piece. He did really well to anticipate the wall would jump and sold his shot well to make it look like it was designed to go over (i.e., he didn't lean over the ball).

James almost stole the show with what might have been a great equalizer, only to be denied by a great tackle. It looks like he'll be reaching better form as the tournament progresses.

This is not the same Colombia from four years ago. It's hard to see them progressing past the last 16, regardless if their opponent is Belgium or England, but they look like they will progress at the very least despite today's loss.

As for Japan, they've improved since the last World Cup, but they're not a better side than what we had seen in 2010. They may have beaten the best team in the group; however, the early dismissal was what allowed them to win today. They still look to be the weakest team in the group, at least on paper. They will need to raise their game to their very limits physically and psychologically if they are too stand any chance of booking a place in the last 16. There's hope of progress for them now if they can push themselves to those limits and with a bit more luck like they had today with the early red against Colombia.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He's not. The japanese are usually fanatical about everything japanese but there is zero interest in the cup.

I think the fact that it is in Russia has turned them off. They don't respect countries they've defeated in war.