PBP Thread: Match #14, Tunisia vs England, 18 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    England haven't won easily, pure and simple.

Missed chances? Well that's part of football it can be a bit of luck, the opposition at defending, goalie or because a player he just can't score (like Sterling for example).
    Number of shots? Seriously. England played better football overall, no one can deny that but couldn't score more goals.
    Tunisia have less quality of course but they're not all crap and England clearly have more quality than Tunisia but they're not that great.
    I can add it seen as utter failure against a team only set up to defend and drastically toothless in attack, England might have a tough time dealing against an electric teams the likes of Senegal, Morocco..etc.

2. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    You make it sound like its England the first time not scoring four or five goals against African teams in world cup history, while the fact is Africans always play close games with England.

3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who said anything about Tunisia being 'all crap'!!! I don't remember claiming England are 'that great' either! Talk about taking things out of context! The fact of the matter is that in THIS game England were on top IN ALL ASPECTS, in ANY football match when a team has 17 shots at goal compared to 6 they are likely to win and win comfortably, trying to claim that England were somehow 'lucky' after being so much on top is just ridiculous, your comments about 'Tunisia are not all crap' and 'England are not all great' just goes to show that you are simply letting off steam because of your dislike of the English and you are not thinking constructively.

roverman repped this.
  4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes and even if it is a common tactic it doesn't make it right, however I must say with exception to this particular game I have been quite impressed with the refereeing, it seems to me that less of those pathetic dives that players (from all nations) do are resulting in free kicks, perhaps its the effect of VAR helping the referees?

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but England may not 'always score four or five goals against African teams' (who said they did?) but if you are interested in facts that have nothing to do with this game did you know that England have never lost against African opposition in any international in history?

6. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kompany can’t go, can Boyata play at higher level than this very average group?

Have not seen much of him at Celtic.

Going forward w/o Kompany will be a challenge?

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Another interesting fact: It is the only significant team in world football left that has yet to lose to an African team. Every other team has lost at least once.

roverman repped this.
  8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fancy that, thanks for the stat, another random fact that has got nothing to do with the game, do you get the point I am trying to make? (probably in a poor way for which I apologise).

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Tunisian wrestling "tactics" are rightfully being blasted by England. I hope refs will crack down on this sort of nonsense, especially in Tunisia's next game their players should be under the microscope :geek:. Already had Panama's players hacking and grappling our players (Panama players have promised to treat England the same, so expect a bit of physical attention).

Eden Hazard left Sotchi with a bandage around his left calf. Hazard: “Don’t worry, I am fine. I am used to this. That’s part of football. I won’t complain about it.”

Typical Eden, said the same when he suffered the most fouls in Ligue 1 and also as the most fouled player in the PL. IMO Hazard and players like him, that make the game easy on the eye, deserve more protection (I recall the CL game v. Gala) and the refs in Russia have been too lenient. Despite the ref's reputation for being very lenient BEL-PAN had the most yellow cards of any game at the 2018 World Cup so far and also more than in any single game at the 2014 tournament.

[​IMG]

W.A.S.P., Phillyspur and SF19 repped this.
  10. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    It seems you take everything as an attack, don't be sensitive.
    As has been said above, "your dislike of the English" really how did you come to this conclusion?
    I did say missing chance after chance in a given game, that's definitely can be part of luck, I said also England were far better team and performance wise.
    England was unlucky not to score more as well as unlucky for Tunisia only to lose it and to concede "a stoppage time goal", so it works both ways by "this situation".
    THIS game Tunisia only focuses on the defensive part of football to hang on for a draw only in the dying minutes didn't succeed.
    As for England, the first 20-25 minutes "particularly" was the best display I've seen from England at the World Cup since their match against Denmark 2002, playing a direct style of football and far more entertaining with width and pace.

Best of luck

roverman repped this.
  11. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    And that's also true.