PBP Thread: Match #1, Russia vs Saudi Arabia, 14 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would wait and see how the rest of us go before slinging too much in the direction of the Saudis.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #302 zahzah, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    It should be stressed though that Zaire in 1974 threw at least one of their games - vs Yugoslavia and the behind the doors drama pretty much explained the rest, including the infamous freekick, which was not a result of African naivety as many have claimed. People laughed at Ilunga, but instead they should have cried.

So basically the 9:0 loss was a protest by Zaire players, not a true reflection of their quality. The following game vs Brazil was also not played under ideal conditions with Zaire players being threatened by the Mobutu dictatorship.

People really need to stop claiming Zaire was terrible. They were not. At least two games were results of political sheenanigans and a lack of attention by pundits and viewers to understand what was actually going on behind Zaire's performance.

As nicely summarised in this article:
    (...) the cruelly ridiculed ghost of Mwepu Ilunga will be made to cast its shadow over that new generation, and it will be a concept born of lazy journalism and a lack of acknowledgement to a wonderful bigger picture.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/03/05/the-misrepresentation-of-zaire/

People really need to get their history right on this one. It was in essence one of the most tragic events in World Cup history.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Makes sense, I guess, but all the same: I can't deny myself the pleasure of seeing the Saudis start off so poorly. I do root for the rest of the AFC teams, to be sure, but watching the Saudis get thrashed to me is almost (not quite) as fun as seeing my team win! I know that sounds a bit perverse, but that is how much I don't like what Saudi Arabia represents.

Kamtedrejt and almango repped this.
  4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you look at their performances in the 1974 world cup, they were terrible. I'm not disputing with you the reasons why they were terrible, but at that tournament they were.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    They were terrible for a reason. That reason being they did an onfield boycott in one game.

If half the team was protesting the 9:0 scoreline takes on a whole new meaning.

One of the World Cup's biggest tragedies was unfolding before people's eyes and instead of sympathy they were met with ridicule. Hence it's time to correct the perception of that team and do them some justice.

6. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Maybe Saudi played bad because of ramadan?

7. Total Football Cooks

Spartak Moscow
    Russia
    Jun 15, 2018
    I have made asmall video about my fanzone experience if anybody is interested. Longer video coming to my chnnel soon (Youtube: Total Football Cooks).

I would really welcome your feedback on my channel, i have just started (been very lazy before), and want to cover a lot of World Cup fans experience this summer.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I wonder how in general that impacted the preparation of Senegal, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco and to a lesser extent Nigeria (Iran no, because they are Sunni and ramadan is later in the year).

Eid starting yesterday evening, so ramadan is now over.

9. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    I guess it cant be positive and even if ramadan is over i think it take a few days for the body to be perfect again for world cup.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey dude, I think I commented on one of your videos last week. Was it you that went to the Yekaterinberg Stadium and was filming from there? I think we commented back and forth a bit - lol small world.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently after the match, the Saudi coach was so mad at his teams performance that he ordered them all to wake up at the crack of dawn for practice. The Saudi keeper however slept in, so his teammate called him to wake him up, "Get up, get it's 6!" he said and the Saudi keeper said, "What? They scored again?"

12. Total Football Cooks

Spartak Moscow
    Russia
    Jun 15, 2018
    Small world indeed! Glad to meet you here:)

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. saam14

saam14 Member

Manchester United
    Iran
    May 17, 2018
    Ramadan is the same for all Muslims. And Iran are Shia not Sunni, the rest of the countries mentioned are Sunni. Regardless, Ramadan was this month for all of us. Iranians in general don't fast when away from home so none of the players likely fasted for Ramadan.

zahzah repped this.
  14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sorry. Always get shias and sunnis mixed up!
    I know Iran usually has the same ramadan dates as the rest of the Muslim world, but I don't know where I got the notion this time around it was different.

15. VolpeWhereAreYou

VolpeWhereAreYou New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    May 28, 2018
  16. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a jerk move to blame three players for a total team failure..

18. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Russia finishing was spot on in this one - impressed they scored another 2 so late, at 3-0 most would have packed it in. Very professional to want to get the max goal differential.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hopefully the punishment is just a benching but anything is possible with this bunch. Shows you how weak the level is in Asia. That China can't go above them shows the weakness of their program.

21. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund