PBP Thread: Germany vs South Korea, 27 June 2018

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Salmos, Jun 25, 2018.

1. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    I was just about to comment on that, thanks for setting it straight.

What a childish, racist and inaccurate comment by him saying that about Son... pathetic and immature.

I bet he doesn't even realize that South Korea has one of the tallest player (Kim Shinwook) in the WC at 197cm (~6'6) lol, let alone the tallest overall Asian team.

Even if he didn't have any pun intended, the ignorance alone is worth pointing out in hopes to educate him.

Kwangaetto, 10August2012 and killaorca repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hahaha, I like it!

Is Thomas Muller going to break the WC scoring record now?

3. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Because Germany was desperate at the highest level and he willingly / knowingly made the decision to make that careless mistake, which clearly disproves all those that say that Germany didn't play with desperation lol... *face palm* ...

It's important to also recognize that Son made one heckava run to make that goal possible, because chasing after a ball is extremely tough... It was his speed that made that goal spectacular and well deserved.

Son's goal didn't need VR...not one bit... It was extremely obvious that he was on SK's side of the field, yet this useless VR only bought Germany even more OT time, more than necessary.

Yet... South Korea still defeated the defending champs, fair and square 2-0.

4. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    It's nice that you've clarified, but it's still surprising that you'd make such a comment, even with being asian yourself? Just saying... Racism and careless assumptions are ugly.

Son's frame is poster child for a Striker....agile and quick on his feet.

10August2012 repped this.
  5. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Are you really determining the absolute height of wingers/attackers based on their relative height to defenders? Everyone looks small next to Sule.

sac517, chook90 and killaorca repped this.
  6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I guess he's just new to this sport, or is just bandwaggoning while watching the WC. Let's not go hard on him lol.

iunlock repped this.
  7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    lol Sonny is a winger for Tottenham but I think he should play CF for Korea. Kind of like what Ronaldo is doing with Portugal.

8. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Considering he doesn't know who Sonny is, he's no where near knowledgable about the sport.

Kwangaetto, iunlock and killaorca repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Son is your daddy :D

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Indeed. That VR review was absolutely unnecessary.

That's okay though, because one of the BIG positives that came out of that was to shut down any nay-sayers that may have excuses for South Korea winning...

When in fact, in this case it is to the contrary in that Germany had the upper advantage with unnecessary OT time!

South Korea beat the defending champs fair and square.

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    I'm fully aware. :) A big fan of EPL ... The reference was more so a statement to supporting an example of an ideal frame for a good attacker/striker, along with the role he played as a solo attacker/forward (for the most part) in this historic match.

killaorca repped this.
  12. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Who the hell cares about some random Asian guy, he's probably not that great. He's sucks compared to all these 23 tall blonde hair Germans players that I don't really know the names of. Us Asians just can't play football because we're all tiny LOL. end sarcasm.

But in reality, Son Heungmin will be an instant starter for Germany.

Kwangaetto and 10August2012 repped this.
  13. viva_iran

viva_iran Member

Iran
    Apr 4, 2017
    No one will miss this Germany. If they can't beat a team that finished the Asian WCQ with a record of 4-3-3, they deserve to go out in the group stage. Iran has beat Korea easily.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Son is so good, his strike against Mexico is for me the goal of the tournament so far. Pochettino’s boys are doing great, Son, Kane and Eriksen, and it means Argentina should have brought Lamela to the party. Congrats on the win, hopefully one AFC side will make it through.

iunlock and killaorca repped this.
  15. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nah he's just a tiny Asian.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe you should forgive that poster for his mistake, he’s probably a 12 year old with a CR7 poster on his wall :D

Kwangaetto and killaorca repped this.
  17. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    If it wasn't for this historic win over Germany, I would be feeling still ugh about those darn pk's against sweden and mexico. Let alone the pk's that didn't go in SK's favor either....

It's fair to say that, had S.Korea played like they did against Germany, that they would have won their games against the swedes and mexico.

Woulda, couldha, shoulda I know, but it's just a pity and in my opinion, I feel like those pk's were the haunting beasts for SK.... just so unlucky... aiisshh....

Still proud of SK though and this win over Germany still holds tremendous value of its own in many other ways. Just ask the fellow Mexican's and check out all the praise by them toward the Korean team, even at the embassy in Mexico... it's a beautiful thing so seeing the positive that came out of this, alleviates the pain of those daunting pk's, that in my opinion were the culprits for the SK squad. (Well and I'm fully aware that SK took too long to warm up to play at their peak with the first two games. Yea, it was hot as heck too)...

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    lol or Messi ;)
    Just joking.
    Growing up I had plenty of Korean players I could look up to like Park Jisung, Lee Youngpyo, Ki Sunyeung and Son Heungmin. Yeah countries like Argentina and many others can name better players, but often times I reflect and I'm really appreciate the players that I have. It's so great to see my fellow Koreans represent our people and our country in the big leagues and in the biggest tournament in the world. Not many people have that privilege I suppose. Thank God I don't have to be a bandwagon fan.

Kwangaetto, Pipiolo and iunlock repped this.
  19. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Mentioned this on the MX board but I honestly can’t believe that a guy with this much talent and in the prime of his career is being required to do military service. What a terrible policy.

20. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yeah but it's out of principle. Everyone has to do it...but I wish they can change the rule like letting them postpone till they are 33.

21. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    That's so true and I agree... South Korea prevails in so many ways in producing talent (in general) from a country that was just in ashes in (1953). Let alone a country with a population of only ~50 Million = smaller pool than the surrounding countries that have way more, yet in ratio to its population (pool), SK produces iconic players like 차범근 (Cha Bum Kun), along with the players that you've mentioned. There are other examples like SK that produced great players, but they've also had a lot longer futbol history than SK.

There are many things to be proud about with 대한민국 (South Korea).

* English translation for those who don't speak Korean.

22. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    50 million isn't small, just small compare to China and Japan. Put South Korea right in the middle of Europe and it'll be considered a large country.

23. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    That's what my reference was pointing out, that very fact as I've clearly stated, "...smaller pool than the surrounding countries that have way more..."

It's like with the Olympics, I prefer to look at the stats (metal count) in ratio to the countries population. With this example as well, SK tend to score very high in metal counts for such a small country compared to its neighbors.

killaorca repped this.
  24. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Still smaller than France, Italy, the UK and Germany.

iunlock repped this.
  25. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    How do you know that? I will miss Germany. This is not the time for Schadenfreude. Germany is - and will be - the best nation in World Cup history alongside Brazil.