PBP Thread: France vs Peru, 21 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by el-capitano, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Peru will be attacking against Australia. They really have nothing to lose, but it must suck playing a game after already being eliminated.

2. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    A lazy play by Guerrero is what lost us this match my friend. He gave away the ball on the key goal. Also going for long balls just isn't working. Guerrero, for some odd reason never gets a foul called and always gets called for them on the goal kicks. It's weird honestly, but he doesn't have the energy or quickness to overcome rough play. Look at Farfan on those same plays, his energy even took players out of the game and still doesn't get called for the foul. Sometimes it's just the way things "look" and Guerrero gets a TON of shitty breaks with those. He's also just not active enough and is a little impatient and tries to get the ball forward instead of gaining good possession.

I love Guerrero and he's the reason we were even here so he deserved his chance, but I do think that right now Farfan fits better with Peru's style. Obviously Farfan doesn't have a lot of time either as he's getting old. Simply put, Peru needs to dominate the ball (which they've done well), and putting it up in the air lowers the chances of that happening. So basically if Guerrero isn't affective in the corners or in gaining possession on goal kicks....then I guess he'd have to be super active to get space and also in his attempts to get the ball back on the press, and those are just not his strengths.

Rickdog repped this.
  3. BRONCONOSE

BRONCONOSE Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    We'll find out against Australia. They'll need the win, should be very reminiscent of the Denmark game and I assume Guerrero will get another start.

4. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    #179 954gator, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Oh for sure, at this point Guerrero deserves the start. Without him there is no world cup. I'm just saying that Peru needs to re-learn how to play with Guerrero and his strengths and no longer needs to rely on desperate attempts to get him the ball. He needs to become a part of the "flow" so to speak. But, If we were in NEED of 3pts to get through, I'd go with Farfan. Guerrero is and will always be a Peruvian hero and I hope he does well in his last game. Proud as hell of this team either way.

msioux75 repped this.
  5. BRONCONOSE

BRONCONOSE Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yeah. I do still disagree with Peru not knowing how to play with Guerrero anymore :p but proud of this team and hope we do well. I just feel like we've always proved to be a low scoring side and holding our top scorer in history out of a game is detrimental.

(I forgot to mention, that error by Guerrero for the goal isn't synonymous with lack of fitness btw, he's done that twice in the past that I remember. Just a thing that happens)

954gator repped this.
  6. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Peru had lovely football. Shame they missed r16. Would much prefer their style of play continuing.

7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kylian Mbappé is unbelievable

Boloni86, Suyuntuy and RealMadridista repped this.
  8. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    yeah. by the next world cup he'll likely be the best player in the world, succeeding messi/cr7

9. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    If it's indeed true that the pressure of the world cup got to peru, now without pressure (and with Australia going out to win the game) the goals will go in for them...unfortunately...

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    the fans at the stadium deserve a few goals

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Chances are good. We haven't kept a world cup clean sheet since 1974.

954gator repped this.
  12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    we have not scored a wc goal since 1982....

historic match ;)

954gator repped this.
  13. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  14. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Psychological pressure is often used by the press to explain things they didn't foresee nor understand. As it's related to the inability to properly execute well known routines, in this case it was applied to scoring the opportunities.

But, in these two matches, leaves aside the level of play shown everywhere else, and the simple fact that Farfán is not a true 9–forward, Guerrero is out of shape (it took him too long to decide, and often did it wrongly), and Ruidíaz has no place against such competition.

Same as Peru lost both matches, it could have won one and drawn the other. It wasn't the level of play, but making good use of the scoring opportunities. This was fixed during the qualifiers, and when losing Guerrero also fixed to play without him.

However, due to fans and press pressure, Gareca improvised on the run by using an out of form Guerrero in a system he isn't used to. Well, the team payed the price of too many people giving advice and making demands on things they don't know.

At any rate, this wasn't these players (save Guerrero, Farfán and Rodríguez) WC but the next one, assuming the process continues with Gareca as the head of it. This experience is invaluable for them, and they have friendlies in September to Netherlands and Germany, as preparation for Copa America 2019 and the next WC cycle, and to seek replacements in the attacking lines.

This isn't over.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Santamaria looks ready to play at this level. Came in and played to the required level

msioux75 repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought it was a real shame Peru did not get a point or 3

I would say they played some of the best football at the tournament in places and the Denmark loss was really unfair imo

France showed excellence in phases but I thought Peru started very well

A draw would not of been too harsh On France

Maybe if Guerrero started game 1 the result may of been different?

17. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Peru had a good team by the second round of WCq, but its attack was too dependent on Guerrero's job on the pitch (not his goals, he scored 5 out of 22). Due to Guerrero's ban, Peru developed a new pattern of attack, and it proved successful these past months.

The problem was that Guerrero's ban was lifted a few weeks before the WC, and there was not enough time for him to get in shape after 8 months not playing. The intelligent thing to do was to return to what was used when Guerrero was out, but instead (due to press and fans pressure) he was included in a system which wasn't designed with him in mind.

So, Peru had more to give in this WC but that's the nature of competition: Not everything will allow the contenders to give everything they know or can. Tough luck.

954gator, locotl and thebigman repped this.
  18. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Aye. And this whole thing is annoying. Historically, Peru has had good midfielders and defenses, and not that good 9–forwards. Then we got 2 excellent 9–forwards and no good midfielders for some 15 years.

And now that we got a good midfield again, the 9–forwards were too old or out of shape, and the younger ones were injured or lacked the experience and level.

Well, at least we know we have team for the next WC cycle, and Copa America comes next year. There should be time enough to develop the attackers we require for high level competition.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Such a shame cueva missed his pen

I like him and Carrillo

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    the important thing is to leave this WC with a win

I have to believe that they will actually score a goal vs Australia. I dont think Gareca will put anything but his best available 11 in that game

thebigman repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's important to us as well so it should be a competitive game. Both of us a due a bit more luck in the final results.

condor11 repped this.
  22. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You know, I have the strong sense that some of them were using smaller tacks than what they had to, thus losing traction but getting more speed when running.

I say this because since the last two friendlies it became a common thing to see them slipping and falling (which never happened before), and on that penalty it can be seen how Cueva's left foot slips, throwing him backwards right before the shot.

So it's either that or the pitch was sprayed with water and soap :(

23. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I really think if Cueva scores that penalty, the tournament would have changed completely for peru. It would have settled them down, and been more loose on the attack. After the missed kick, it looked like they were chasing that missed goal for the rest of the two games.

thebigman repped this.
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's ironic that Peru sacrificed that vertigo to their game displayed against Denmark in order to accommodate a shooter in Guerrero, only for him to send his two shots on goal directly at the keeper.

Deserved win by France, which looks like a formidable team should they step into a higher gear in the knockout rounds.

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cueva was a huge disappointment, there is no doubt that Farfan even now is a better player. The player that really impressed me over both games is Carrillo, sometimes he looks unstoppable on the flank.